PDA

View Full Version : Lamp base

turnerted
13th November 2012, 09:01 AM
G'day
This is a development from my bookends posted previously.
The base is from an old railway sleeper and the stem from an old fence rail . The overall height is 450mm. The base is 200mm diameter by 110mm thick and the finish is DO .
Hope you like it .
Comments welcome.
Ted240643240644240645

Christos
14th November 2012, 08:08 AM
It reminds me of a Victorian bed warmer. :)

Is it turned in two halves or as one ball and then sliced?

turnerted
14th November 2012, 04:14 PM
Christos
Not sure if thats a compliment or not.
Base is all turned as one solid lump. No slicing involved except cutting the flat for the bottom.
I'll leave you to think about it a bit longer.
Ted

artme
14th November 2012, 07:00 PM
Trez beaudy!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Beautiful!! Go the recyclers!:):)

dr4g0nfly
15th November 2012, 07:30 AM
I remember the bookends and the way you left some of the 'history' of the wood as part of the effect, you've done it again to equal effect,

well done, they look great.

turnerted
16th November 2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the comments.
As you may imagine, this presented problems in mounting. The way I did it was to first clean up a flat area on what was to become the back side , actually the underside of the sleeper, with an electric plane, then glue on a tennon with Titebond .I then brought it into round and shaped and sanded the right hand side . I then glued on a tennon using hotmelt glue , turned it over and finished the other side . I then removed the tennon by heating in a microwave oven for three minutes and cleaned up any residual glue with turps .
This just shows how strong hot melt glue is as the finished base weighed 4Kg although it was supported between centres untill the the last few ml was turned off, but then it was hanging free while I sanded it.
Ted

wheelinround
16th November 2012, 06:41 PM
Ted they looks great.

It reminds me of a Victorian bed warmer. :)

Is it turned in two halves or as one ball and then sliced?

Christos is just missing his better half or bed warmer...........no idea why he needs a bed warmer in this weather.:p

Drillit
16th November 2012, 10:37 PM
Ted,
They look terrific. I just love redgum. You are right about hot melt glue, it is very strong. I have used it up to 20kg also using tailstock for support, but then unsupported when in balance. Great work and figuring out. Drillit.

Christos
17th November 2012, 09:30 PM
...Christos is just missing his better half....

So very true.

Sawdust Maker
18th November 2012, 07:28 AM
Great work there, Ted

does state rail know you are pinching their sleepers!

wheelinround
18th November 2012, 08:11 AM
Great work there, Ted

does state rail know you are pinching their sleepers!

Thats why they are making 600 redundant isn't it:roll: Ted found them all sleeping :p