PDA

View Full Version : Safety videos.

RETIRED
16th November 2012, 02:59 PM
I searched the web to find any videos applicable to safety around the workshop when using a lathe and came up empty handed.

Some people touch on it when using the lathe but nothing specific.

With that in mind I created my own.

A boring subject I know but an essential one I think.

They are in four parts totalling about 45 minutes in all.

Woodturning for learners. Personal safety Video1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkZuLaSyQ_I&feature=plcp)

Woodturning for learners. Workshop environment safety Video2. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuP3m1Ob51k&feature=plcp)

Woodturning for learners. Timber and finish Video 3 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atwxP7vvoNE&feature=plcp)

Woodturning for learners. Lathe safety Video4 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1944XjoRho&feature=plcp)

A Duke
16th November 2012, 05:43 PM
Good one .
Not being a turner I can't say for sure you got it right but it looks good to me. (and nobody else has jumped on you yet.)

Regards

mkypenturner
16th November 2012, 08:36 PM
nice job !! am downloading them onto my pc for easy reference

michael_m
16th November 2012, 08:49 PM
Thank you for those. :2tsup:
I have just finished watching them all, and learned a few new things which is always good, especially with looking at the timber.

I was fortunate when I started turning that I asked the woodwork teachers at work (I'm at a school) who wouldn't let me near the lathe until I had sat a safety test, and when I had passed that, spent my first lesson pretty much going through the major things you did. And I'm glad I did as a few times things have happened that were minor, but could have been nasty if I hadn't been doing the right thing. :B

If only these videos were available when I started - I can't think of anywhere else where the essential safety tips are all together in the one place.

Mobyturns
16th November 2012, 09:59 PM
:2tsup: Good one .

One small suggestion. Could you add steel wool! Most turners do not realise just how flammable steel wool is & esp if loaded with nitro cellulose lacquer dust or other finishes. Steel wool should be treated as a flammable substance. Also be warned some MSDS’s for steel wool understate the risks in its use. It will oxidise strongly if exposed to certain chemicals, & will ignite if exposed to temps in excess of 250C or if shorted across an electrical power supply (i..e loose power plug, battery terminals etc) :no:

orificiam
16th November 2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks , you can never be too careful at the lathe.

Cheers Tony.:)

dai sensei
16th November 2012, 11:45 PM
Great videos :2tsup:

The second one worried me a bit, nearly everything you mentioned as wrong is at my place :-. You trying to give me yet another hint :U:U

dr4g0nfly
17th November 2012, 06:30 AM

About time someone made this sort of video for uTube. They ought to be compulsory for all new turners to watch.

These make as much sense to us UK turners as they do you your Aus turners.

Thanks for your time, effort and sharing your experience in making these.

Bryan

Sawdust Maker
17th November 2012, 07:44 AM
Nice work (and TL)

I thought I noticed taking notes around my shed of dangerous situations :rolleyes:

not sure I have an escape route to the right or that it's even possible in my cramped shed :doh: ... the left is a bit suss as well

L R P
17th November 2012, 10:30 AM
Hey

Absolutly fantastic, every shed should have these playing all the time

My only concern was the clean smock

Cheers

Willy Nelson
17th November 2012, 10:42 AM
Well done mate,
I have spent the last 45 minutes viewing your vids. Despite the fact that I consider myself an experienced turner, I learnt some new things and remembered some things which I used to do. The lathe maintenance vid was excellent, and is often overlooked, although I am a big fan of Silver glide.
Well Done
Willy
Jarrahland

Cliff Rogers
17th November 2012, 01:40 PM
I have them downloading now. :2tsup:

tea lady
17th November 2012, 02:15 PM
The second one worried me a bit, nearly everything you mentioned as wrong is at my place :-. You trying to give me yet another hint :U:UThat's what said while we were filming that one. :U

Swino
17th November 2012, 04:17 PM
Great work . :2tsup:

BobWoodworks
17th November 2012, 04:35 PM
Good work you can never be too safe.

Bruce White
17th November 2012, 05:06 PM
Excellent! Pity you can't clone yourself and drop one of you over here - you are an invaluable resource.

Christos
17th November 2012, 09:02 PM
....not sure I have an escape route to the right or that it's even possible in my cramped shed :doh: ... the left is a bit suss as well

It just means you have to be a little more flexible. Or you could actually try cleaning. :yes:

Sawdust Maker
18th November 2012, 07:19 AM
It just means you have to be a little more flexible. Or you could actually try cleaning. :yes:

Cleaning :o

NeilS
18th November 2012, 11:29 AM
First rate contribution...:2tsup:

I would like to nominate it as a Sticky, just a copy of post No#1 and then locked. That way can edit, if and when he wishes, but not open to other forum members posting to the sticky. This thread can still be used for any comments or suggestions.

RETIRED
18th November 2012, 04:51 PM
Thank you for your comments. Thank you to those that gave me suggestions whilst making them.

RETIRED
18th November 2012, 04:51 PM
First rate contribution...:2tsup:

I would like to nominate it as a Sticky, just a copy of post No#1 and then locked. That way can edit, if and when he wishes, but not open to other forum members posting to the sticky. This thread can still be used for any comments or suggestions.
I can do that.:D

Christos
18th November 2012, 08:16 PM
Cleaning :o

Yeah cleaning. I did it once. :ohyaaa:

Bushmiller
18th November 2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks to you and TL for taking time out (minimum 45mins I'd say, but most likely a lot more) to do this. I have downloaded them and will pass them on to my son too.

He had a very close encounter with a football sized chunk of ironbark. Luckily for him, he had just moved around the lathe otherwise it would have made a mess of his chest instead of going through the wall of his shed!

I know he will be very interested in the vids :rolleyes:.

Regards
Paul

Jonzjob
19th November 2012, 03:28 AM
I'll add my thanks too. I have been turning for about 16 years and it's good to get a reminder. Bad habits go unnoticed until they bite at times!:o

The time I had the abrasive come back at me and smack my finger was doing the inside of a bowl. I always do any sanding with my fingers in the trail position as you have shown, but when I gt to the centre of the bowl there was a slight catch and it flicked my hand across the bowl and all of a sudden I was pushing the abrasive, not pulling it. It caught again with the extra pressure and I honestly thought I'd broken my finger!!!!! I can remember saying "Golly gosh" at least 3 times :C

NeilS
19th November 2012, 07:16 AM
I can do that.:D

And he did.

Thanks, .

nalmo
20th November 2012, 11:25 PM
Great videos. Always worth being reminded of safety.

bosox
21st November 2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks for posting this. Will use this as reference.

ticklingmedusa
22nd November 2012, 04:47 PM
These are outstanding.
I just viewed the first one and tried the english subtitles for the sport of it.
The transcriptions were interesting at times but it is the content
which is important.
I'd like to share these with other groups if you don't mind.
TL & , thanks for producing them.
John

RETIRED
22nd November 2012, 06:44 PM
These are outstanding.
I just viewed the first one and tried the english subtitles for the sport of it.
The transcriptions were interesting at times but it is the content
which is important.
I'd like to share these with other groups if you don't mind.
TL & , thanks for producing them.
JohnI don't mind.:cool:

ticklingmedusa
22nd November 2012, 07:41 PM
Bravo! :2tsup:

wheelinround
22nd November 2012, 08:39 PM
Well done and TL :2tsup:

chambezio
24th November 2012, 11:07 AM
Today I watched No 1 video. Congratulations to and TL. You came across as a fir dinkum bloke concerned about working safely with a wood lathe.
There were no well rehearsed lines of a"catchy nature" that can be annoying.
Top marks for your efforts. I hope that the production will make somebody aware of their own safety approach

Miss Chickory
25th November 2012, 10:15 PM
good evening , this is Lynda from prossy turnout, (lady with blunt dangerous tools,lol) hey im a manual arts teacher, any chance of getting a disk with these videos on it so i can show them to my classes. I,m happy to pay for disk and postage.
cheers Lynda

RETIRED
25th November 2012, 10:17 PM
good evening , this is Lynda from prossy turnout, (lady with blunt dangerous tools,lol) hey im a manual arts teacher, any chance of getting a disk with these videos on it so i can show them to my classes. I,m happy to pay for disk and postage.
cheers LyndaGooday Lynda. Oh yes, I remember.:wink: Can you copy them onto a memory stick and burn them at school?

BlackbuttWA
26th November 2012, 10:37 AM
A really good job .
I emailed & asked permission to copy those titles for our club (Mandurah Woodturners Group) Home (http://www.mandurahwoodturners.com/)

His reply was "Go for it, that's why I made them "

I spoke to a couple of our members & agreed that it would be good to give a copy to all the novices & have permanent copies in our library.

Just have to find a way to copy them onto a DVD..:B:B

Thanks again .

Col

mañana
26th November 2012, 09:23 PM
The previous couple of Posts have answered my own intended query. I would like to use the safety videos to introduce new turners at our local Men's Shed to safe Working Practices which will enable them to enjoy woodturning without incurring serious injury in that enjoyment. It seems to be OK to use them for this purpose.
Mick C

RETIRED
26th November 2012, 10:06 PM
The previous couple of Posts have answered my own intended query. I would like to use the safety videos to introduce new turners at our local Men's Shed to safe Working Practices which will enable them to enjoy woodturning without incurring serious injury in that enjoyment. It seems to be OK to use them for this purpose.
Mick CIt certainly is. Nice to be asked too.:)

mañana
28th November 2012, 05:19 PM
G'Day to you
Mate, it was my intention to get your permission before I used your videos. As stated in my earlier post, others were thinking along the same lines. I take it from your reply to that post that I can show the videos to my Men's Shed Members. (I tried unsuccessfully over the last two days to reply to your Post on my laptop - maybe a problem on my end?)
Mick C

RETIRED
28th November 2012, 06:06 PM
Yes Mick.

mañana
28th November 2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks
Mick c

Mulgabill
6th December 2012, 03:56 PM
Guess which bearded axe wielding mongrel has his lathe safety YouTube links in "Turning Talk" the official newsletter of the South Auckland Woodturners Guild?:roll:

RETIRED
6th December 2012, 05:27 PM
:-

Mulgabill
6th December 2012, 08:46 PM
:2tsup: Right on!!

DaveTTC
3rd December 2013, 12:48 PM

Would be great if these were available on USB so individuals and clubs could watch these at their leisure without internet connection.

I think you can buy USB sticks cheap. I'd buy it.

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

dai sensei
3rd December 2013, 12:51 PM

Would be great if these were available on USB so individuals and clubs could watch these at their leisure without internet connection.

I think you can buy USB sticks cheap. I'd buy it.

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

You could copy them to USB yourself, they are freely available.

DaveTTC
3rd December 2013, 12:52 PM
Aren't they on YouTube. I can't download YouTube on my iPad and have no internet connection to my almost deceased laptop

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Big Shed
3rd December 2013, 01:08 PM
Oh the joys of iApple:rolleyes:

mrjhodges
31st December 2013, 01:49 PM
Thank you very much for this. A great resource.

dougturner
21st June 2014, 01:05 AM
RETIRED, I have just spent 45 or 50 minutes looking at your safety videos, and they are the best lathe safety videos I have seen. You are right, there are not many places you can see pure safety videos for wood lathes. I tend to get involved at our club meetings in the training/mentoring of new members, and will now make a handout for ALL our new members listing your videos. The only problem with that idea is that no one can guarantee/force them to watch. Thanks for the videos, they are great. Doug. :U

Woodturning for learners. Personal safety Video1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkZuLaSyQ_I&feature=plcp)

Woodturning for learners. Workshop environment safety Video2. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuP3m1Ob51k&feature=plcp)

Woodturning for learners. Timber and finish Video 3 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atwxP7vvoNE&feature=plcp)

Woodturning for learners. Lathe safety Video4 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1944XjoRho&feature=plcp)[/QUOTE]