PDA

View Full Version : yew bowl

gus3049
18th November 2012, 08:43 PM
As I have a craft fair coming up next weekend, I've been getting back to basics and turning bowls, pots and hollow forms. makes a change from the complex 'arty' stuff and is quite relaxing.

As always, yew is very satisfying to work with, you are almost guaranteed an attractive colour and grain.

This one was going well until I got it on the polishing mops, when a hidden flaw was found and a small piece disappeared into the pile of shavings on the floor. What would we do without super glue and dust??

C and C welcome

artme
19th November 2012, 07:48 AM
Beautiful grain in that Gus, and you've achieved a super finish!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
19th November 2012, 07:57 AM
Yew've made a good repair - I can't spot the join.

gus3049
19th November 2012, 08:02 AM
Beautiful grain in that Gus, and you've achieved a super finish!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Thanks for the comment.

The finish is just the waxed wood with no additional treatment or finish. The secret is in the jeans (as opposed to genes) My main buffing wheel is made from old denim. Really does work up a nice finish. Bit boring cutting out circles of the stuff but the results are worth it. I also have a Chestnut cotton mop but the denim seems more effective.

gus3049
19th November 2012, 08:06 AM
Yew've made a good repair - I can't spot the join.

It was a chunk about 5mm wide and quite deep, the whole width of the rim. As I said, CA and some dust, quick cut back and polish and it looks pretty much like a normal part of the grain.

bassmansimon
26th November 2012, 05:21 PM
turned and finished very well.

gus3049
26th November 2012, 07:35 PM
turned and finished very well.

Thanks very much

Christos
26th November 2012, 08:07 PM
Looks really nice.

And with out you pointing the fault out I was able to spot it straight away with my eagle eyes. :no: :U

Sawdust Maker
26th November 2012, 08:10 PM
Nice simple lines, great bowl - looks grand

... The secret is in the jeans (as opposed to genes) My main buffing wheel is made from old denim. Really does work up a nice finish. Bit boring cutting out circles of the stuff but the results are worth it. I also have a Chestnut cotton mop but the denim seems more effective.

Thanks for this, I've just rescued my favourite jeans from the scrap bag to go to vinnies. A second life for my denim :p
One question - what diameter, 8"?

Christos
26th November 2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks for this, I've just rescued my favourite jeans from the scrap bag to go to vinnies. A second life for my denim :p

Will you still be wearing them after you cut the 8" hole in them? You might start a new trend? :D

gus3049
26th November 2012, 08:33 PM
Nice simple lines, great bowl - looks grand

Hi Nick,

Yup, somewhere around that. Basically, I just found a plate that looked about the right size and drew round it. Once the jeans were cut up the seam, I got two circles per width.

It took three or four pairs to get the bulk I needed though. I put out a request on our local network for old jeans and now have enough to keep me going for a while.

The circles are bolted together with a pice of chipboard either side (suitably smoothed off!!) and it bolts straight to the Chestnut mandrel.

Sawdust Maker
26th November 2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks

I tried something similar with old T shirts a while back only to find that they ballooned out of round with the centrifugal force - now used for general polishing
for some reason I hadn't thought of using my old jeans since then :doh:

cheers

cookie48
26th November 2012, 09:04 PM
That looks great. Nice to see some good old style plain bowl work.
By the time I am finished with my jeans there is not enough left to make a hanky. Good idea tho.

Sawdust Maker
26th November 2012, 09:19 PM
That looks great. Nice to see some good old style plain bowl work.
By the time I am finished with my jeans there is not enough left to make a hanky. Good idea tho.

We city folk don't get away with as much :((

gus3049
26th November 2012, 10:08 PM
Well, the Christmas fayre (in November!!!!!) was a great success. The bowl below was the first thing that sold. Last year it was all the arty stuff that went but this year it was all the traditional, practical stuff - and for good, sensible prices too.

You can just never tell how these things will go but I'm glad I spent a week or two beforehand, turning out some basic bits. I did however, make most of them with natural top edges which added some interest and the punters seemed to appreciate the difference.

Jonzjob
27th November 2012, 05:22 AM
Good to hear that it went well Gordon. That little bowl is delightful. I am a great fan of yew too, not you personally, well maybe a little bit. It turns very well and has such a lovely grain.

We were always surprised what sold and what didn't when we did the various fairs in the U.K. You just can never tell?

When are you going to take the time to visit Carcassonne and see our lovely Cité? Then you can bring a LOAD of that yew down for me to try and see if I can do as good as yew? :;:;:;

gus3049
27th November 2012, 05:48 AM
Good to hear that it went well Gordon. That little bowl is delightful. I am a great fan of yew too, not you personally, well maybe a little bit. It turns very well and has such a lovely grain.

We were always surprised what sold and what didn't when we did the various fairs in the U.K. You just can never tell?

When are you going to take the time to visit Carcassonne and see our lovely Cité? Then you can bring a LOAD of that yew down for me to try and see if I can do as good as yew? :;:;:;

I know it, I knew it, he's just after me wood.

Typically, I sent a local dealer a list of the current stock before the weekend. Just about all the ones he wanted were the ones that sold on Saturday!! It looks as though the lathe will be busy again this week.

Who knows, I might just use up all that lovely yew:devilred:

Jonzjob
27th November 2012, 08:20 AM
Yew couldn't be that cruel?

gus3049
27th November 2012, 08:31 AM
Yew couldn't be that cruel?

Ha!!:q

Jonzjob
27th November 2012, 09:29 AM
Oh yes yew could!!

Still, I'm glad that managed to have a bowl movement at the Féte along with others :; :; :;