PDA

View Full Version : Clocks

smidsy
4th April 2005, 11:43 PM
Hei Guys,
I noticed that clock movements are dirt cheap.
Has anyone used a lathe to make a wall mount clock or is it easier to just use a bandsaw?
Cheers
Paul

gatiep
5th April 2005, 12:26 AM
I use a clock to teach the very basics of face plate turning on night 2 of the basic woodturning course.

:)

Cliff Rogers
5th April 2005, 01:11 AM
I made a clock out of a scrap offcut of 200mm pine.

I mounted the square offcut on a faceplate with screws through the corners & turned the recess & bored the centre hole for the movement.
Then I reversed it onto a chuck in the recess & turned the edges round.
Next I got stuck into it with a wire brush on a power drill & then finished it with one of those B&D Flapper Sanders that were a fad about 20 years ago.

I didn't put any numbers on it, just finished it in PU... it looked great.

smidsy
5th April 2005, 08:05 PM
Hei Guys,
I know clocks would be among the more basic of items you could make, but I was thinking it could make a nice gift.
Cheers
Paul

rsser
5th April 2005, 08:17 PM
Sure.

There's a squillion combo's of movements, hands, numbers and plates.

I did a barometer and thermometer pair out of redgum; not that I'm interested in the weather except on Sundays - just an interesting challenge.

Cliff Rogers
5th April 2005, 09:41 PM
Hei Guys,
I know clocks would be among the more basic of items you could make, but I was thinking it could make a nice gift.
Cheers
Paul
It does, they do.... as Ern says, there's a squillion combo's, so, if you are going to make one as a gift for a special occasion that you'd like it to last a long time, get a good movement & if it has a face, try for a glass face 'cos the plastic ones scratch too easy & the cheap ones chuck in the ticker too soon.