PDA

View Full Version : Experiences/thoughts on combo planer & thicknesser

ArianAgain
5th April 2005, 05:25 AM
I'm interested in peoples experiences and thoughts regarding combo machines. Carba-tec's 2003 catalog has a 10" one (ML-392) for $1200. How does that compare to a having two individual machines? I guess for that price you'd get a 6" planer and a 12" thicknesser. I understand its more convienient to have two seperate machines, however the 6" limitation on the planer seems small.

Redback
5th April 2005, 05:36 PM
There are dozens of posts in this forum on this very topic.

Just do a search for jointers, thicknessers or even specifically on the ml-392.

I went through this whole process just recently.

For the record, I own a ml-392 and am quite happy with it.

However, as it was summarised in one post, if u have the space and the money it is generally considered better to get standalone machines.

With the ML-392 it takes me about 30 seconds to change from jointing to thicknessing mode. The only problem being that if you need to change back to jointing mode, you will lose your thicknesser settings.

On the whole, I am glad I went with the ML-392 so far. Its compact and does the job perfectly for what I need so far (crosses fingers) :)

[edit] didnt quite answer the question.
yes I didnt go for a 6" jointer for the same reason. I was nearly going to get an 8" jointer. The Infeed and outfeed tables on standalone jointers are much longer than the ML-392 and the fence is a lot sturdier.

RB

Gumby
5th April 2005, 05:41 PM
I'm interested in peoples experiences and thoughts regarding combo machines. Carba-tec's 2003 catalog has a 10" one (ML-392) for $1200. .

I think you'd better get an updated cattledog first. The ML 392 sells for around $900 - $1000 here at the monent, but Carba-Tec don't supply them anymore (apparently).

As Redback said, do a search on ML 392 and you'll turn up all sorts of useful info. generally, 2 machines are preferable but space and money always win ! :D (I'm very happy with my 392)

Redback
5th April 2005, 05:48 PM
Given the independent nature of carbatec, it might just be WA that doesnt stock the 392 now...

Timbercon have the ml-392 for $899 at the moment....

MikeK
5th April 2005, 07:54 PM
I have a combo machine. I spent a lot time mulling the pros and cons. Essentially it came down to (not in any particular order):
- available space;
- robustness of machine
- the largest dimensions that I could get (to allow flexibility)
- the justification to SWIMBO.

What I've found is that the combo essentially forces me to think through the plan before I start. This is because I need to process all of parts that will be the same dimension without resetting the machine. I for one like this. Others may think this is a lack of flexibility.

Note: that I use my gear for hobby / therapy purposes. If I was running a small business and running a production line style of operation, I would probably go for multiple machines.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Mike.