PDA

View Full Version : Thicknesser Feeding Problems

Rob from Kew
5th April 2005, 03:58 PM
I have a Carbatec 12" thicknesser that is not self feeding the timber through the machine.

Any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Thanks

Rob

Gumby
5th April 2005, 04:09 PM
A bit more info would be good. Is it new, was it feeding before ?

Generally, try waxing the tables to allow the timber to slide. I'ver found rough sawn timber can be a real pain to get through as well.

Taking shallow cuts also helps.

BobR
5th April 2005, 04:34 PM
I'm with Gumby. Assuming that the infeed roller is working OK, then I would look at waxing the table. It will make a BIG difference. If you don't have any of the commercial material, just use a candle wax and rub it on directly.

Rob from Kew
5th April 2005, 04:40 PM
I've had it for a couple of years. It worked OK to start with but then started to playup. It has been serviced by Carbtec and they said it worked OK. Yet when I try it with rough saw timber, in particular, it struggles.

The timbers used so far have been rough saw red gum and KD hardwood. I expect the machine capable of handling this type of timber.

Could the feeding problem be effected by less than sharp blades or the rubber rollers not gripping or the amount of being shaved by each pass is too little or too much?

Rob

Groggy
5th April 2005, 04:47 PM
If you are not using sufficient dust extraction there may be a layer of gunk (technical term) on the rubber roller allowing it to slip and misfeed.

Rob from Kew
5th April 2005, 04:47 PM
Won't the wax stain the timber. Apart from candle wax, what other type of wax can be used?

Rob

silentC
5th April 2005, 04:55 PM
I use UBeaut Traditional Wax on mine and it works like a charm. Try it and see.

Iain
5th April 2005, 04:55 PM
I use furniture polish, including Ubeaut traditional wax, don't forget to rub it off again for a real slippery finish.
Is the machine protesting, read screaming, slowing down, does it feed without cutting.
I feed and adjust until the cutters just make contact and but don't cut all the way through, this is eneven timber.
After it starts to cut I adjust one quarter of a turn per pass and turn the timber on each setting.
How much use has the machine had, could be dull blades, are the blades visible eg: build up of gunk between blade and holder assembly.
Is the feed roller rotating?
Pine will clog the blade and you need to remove and clean the whole assembly.

Rob from Kew
5th April 2005, 05:15 PM
Iain

The machine does not protest and does feed when it just touches the blades. The rollers are rotating as the timber starts to feed but then stops part way through.

Rob

Gumby
5th April 2005, 05:22 PM
I'm agree with Iain on the fact that I only turn my table wheel 1/4 of a turn each time. I also had lots of prblems with my machine until I got a 1HP Dust extractor onto it to get rid of the copious amount of shavings. These will clog it up quickly too.

The rough sawn timber will always be more difficult to get through since the friction on the table is much greater. The wax won't hurt the wood.

Gumby
5th April 2005, 05:26 PM
Iain

The machine does not protest and does feed when it just touches the blades. The rollers are rotating as the timber starts to feed but then stops part way through.

Rob

If the timber is really uneven and gets thicker as it goes through, that would stop it. Do you run it through without it touching the blades and then gradually increase the table height from there ?
That way, if the back end is thicker, it will cut there first.

silentC
5th April 2005, 05:26 PM
The rollers are rotating as the timber starts to feed but then stops part way through.
The rollers stop or the timber? If the rollers stop, you have a mechanical problem.

Wax the table. Believe me, it will make a difference.

Rob from Kew
5th April 2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks to everyone.

You've given some very good suggestions.

Regards,

Rob

Gumby
5th April 2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks to everyone.

You've given some very good suggestions.

and in record time too ! 57 minutes and the thread is closed.............a record no doubt (except where has intervened with the delete button :D )

fletty
5th April 2005, 07:47 PM
Mine started to play up like this just before the roller drive belt melted into the plastic cover and gave up the ghost all together. I suspect the belt slips,the drive rollers don't drive, the heat builds up and the belt and cover join in unholy wedlock,
Fletty