PDA

View Full Version : Coral " Flame Tree" any good for turning?

stevepay
4th December 2012, 05:47 PM
Hello All,

I have just had a tree partially come down in my backyard... took out about 6-7 metres of fence :( and I got to wondering if it was any good for turning as after spending a whole day cutting and triming what was left I have alot of small logs leftover.

It is what I call a coral tree or I have heard it called a coral flame tree, google it and you'll see what I mean. it is not an illiwarra flame tree.

previously I have been told that the wood is not suitable for construction as its very fibrous in texture and not very strong also it apparently doesnt burn well either as it tends to smoke because its quite a resinous wood... if that makes sense.

anyway I was wondering if anyone had used this wood for turning or am I stuck with just dumping the lot :C

Steve

tea lady
4th December 2012, 06:10 PM
Dunno. But most people say if its wood it can be turned. :UIs it pretty grain or anything? What does it look like? Wrong bit of the country for me though.:C

stevepay
4th December 2012, 06:57 PM
Hello tea lady,

The wood appears pretty uninspiring from the outside, its pretty much a pale white colour with a fiberous texture and not much grain.

according to google... yes I know :o it is used bt the Hawaiian peoples to make small toys and implements as well as dug-out canoes :?

I think I may have to just give it a go on the lathe and see what comes out but I was curious if anyone had done anything with this type of wood ... and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to make a canoe :no: :rolleyes:

Steve

orraloon
4th December 2012, 09:14 PM
I saw some cut down a few years back and while the saying goes any wood can be turned, this may be the execption. I declined to try in any case. I guess soaked in casting resin or something it may be doable or as a one of novelty but that is about it. However there is surely someone who has done it on this forum.
Regards
John

dai sensei
4th December 2012, 09:22 PM
Is it the red or yellow?

The red is more durable, but both relatively boring for woodturning as far as I am aware. Probably good though for the kids tops and yo-yos coloured with textas :U

TTIT
4th December 2012, 10:42 PM
If it's one of the erythina's like the one on this link (http://sydneyweeds.org.au/weed/cockspur-coral-tree/erythrina-crista-galli/), I suspect the timber would be a lot like the bowl I started recently on this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/furry-bowls-160663/) which is from an Aussie native erythina. Wouldn't be going out of my way to get any more if that sums it up for you :no:

powderpost
4th December 2012, 10:46 PM
Short answer.... trash it.
Jim

Cliff Rogers
4th December 2012, 10:47 PM
White boring fibrous timber that splits badly as it dries out... junk.

tea lady
5th December 2012, 11:15 AM
:COh well.

stevepay
6th December 2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks everyone for their replies.... I guess I kinda knew the answer before asking :C but I had to ask.

Seems like such a shame but at least I'll get a lot of woodchips for the garden.

and off to the landfill with whatever I ca't chip.:(

Steve