PDA

View Full Version : Henry Taylor's fine finishing tools

rsser
9th December 2012, 05:18 PM
Interesting refinement:

Tracy Owen demonstrates Henry Taylor's fine finishing turning tools (http://www.henrytaylortools.co.uk/tracy-owen.html)

Bet that amount of good steel will cost a bomb.

artme
9th December 2012, 05:50 PM
Agree with the potential shelf shock (prices).

After all Iwas taught I had to wince when he put that round
nosed tool into the bowl in that way. Just seemed so counter
intuitive!

Pat
9th December 2012, 05:57 PM
$60 a chisel from Axeminster (http://www.axminster.co.uk/henry-taylor-henry-taylor-tracy-owen-fine-finishing-tools--22mm-curved-prod829466/) + postage. The three australian distributors did not have the items on their websites.

hughie
9th December 2012, 06:49 PM
Pricey tools and fairly hefty in size 3/4" of HSS steel. :o

Ok But at the end of the day he's using a scraper on the shear. Sooooo you could go down to Mcjings and buy some HSS blanks and make your own,probably a oval skew would do it.

RETIRED
9th December 2012, 07:08 PM
:no:Another gimmick tool to extract more money from the wallet. :shrug:

I must be getting cynical but like Hughie said, scraping on the shear which can be achieved by most tools.

The timber is wet so good shavings are easily obtained and at no time is the lathe stopped so that you can see the finish.

I can actually see a lot of beginners getting into trouble doing the inside of a bowl that way if they do not know how to use traditional tools, and yes I mean scrapers in this case.

Like I said,:no:

hughie
9th December 2012, 07:27 PM
I can actually see a lot of beginners getting into trouble doing the inside of a bowl that way if they do not know how to use traditional tools, and yes I mean scrapers in this case.

absolutely!

Bruce White
9th December 2012, 09:04 PM
, you said in an earlier topic that there are way too many tools and that a basic few will do most jobs. I am self taught, bought everything I could get my hands on early but find that I use about 5 of the 30 odd tools I have. (Probably use some for purposes not intended but it works for me.)

You are right (of course), a lot of stuff is just for profit and of no real value if you follow the basics.

rsser
9th December 2012, 09:10 PM
Reading the stuff more closely, they've gone to 7/8" now for the biggies.

In my book this is a refinement of a technique of some standing.

The heft and the curved shaft bottom is the value add.

But there are other means of getting a good finish that involve less cost inc. varying scraper edge treatments and old style scrapers with thick cross sections.

(Hughie, I've had variable results off McJing steel and won't buy from there again).

hughie
10th December 2012, 08:41 AM
Reading the stuff more closely, they've gone to 7/8" now for the biggies.
In my book this is a refinement of a technique of some standing.
The heft and the curved shaft bottom is the value add.
But there are other means of getting a good finish that involve less cost inc. varying scraper edge treatments and old style scrapers with thick cross sections.

Yeah I agree although I see it as a small innovation perhaps best contained in the tips section of some web site. Some thing of an obvious step that most of us would probably think of at some stage

, I've had variable results off McJing steel and won't buy from there again).

Fair comment Ern. I only used Mcjings as a comparison to point out that any body could make one of these and we really don't need high priced imported tools. When its essentially a scraper with a particular grind, easy to duplicate.

Jonzjob
10th December 2012, 09:00 AM
I agree with that they are only scrapres and I have one tool that does all that with a multi head TCT tip on it, 3 in fact. One with 2 radia and a flat edge and two long jobbies with different shaped ends. The shaft is 1/2 round so no problems getting what ever cutting angle you want.

Tools for the sake of tools me-thinks..

Like the left and right ring tools? I made my own from a 1 1/4 firmer edge chisel. I'm not worried about it breaking because it is only ever used for light cuts. It does the whole ring to whatever size you want. Not very pretty, but very effective

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/IMG_2990.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Elmholeybowlrattles.jpg

robo hippy
12th December 2012, 06:28 AM
Bowl skew, skewchigouge, spindle master, fluteless gouge. They are all variations of the same thing. I have a number of them from Doug Thompson, and love them. With a blunt nose angle (60 to 70 degrees), and rolled onto the side, they leave a fine surface. I do use these (Thompson ones) on the inside and outside of bowls, and relieve the bevel. With a ( nose profile, you don't need right and left. Also with the heel relieved, they are great for concave shapes on both bowls and spindles. His round nose is too pointy for me, and I do not like the way he uses it on the rim of the bowl. If you get near the point, it wants to catch and roll. Like a skew, you work on the lower 1/3 of the cutting edge, and never above center. It is more user friendly if you are using it for bevel rubbing finish cuts than scrapers, though the same cut can be done with both (yes, you can do a bevel rubbing cut with a scraper and why scrapers are not sold with the bottom edges rounded over like skews, I do not understand). I do prefer a swept back scraper for shear scrapes/non bevel rubbing dropped handle cuts. With the blunt bevel angle, they are excellent for the transition area of the bowl, and going across the bottom. They are not for heavy stock removal, and I would not use them for scrapers because if you cut with the edge in a scraping mode, they will want to roll over. I haven't done that one yet, but I wouldn't think it would be a huge catch.

robo hippy

artme
12th December 2012, 11:56 AM
I bought a spindlemaster ( Hamlet = Henry Taylor. ) Good tool to use.

It makes you wonder when you see what the Japanese turners can do
with a limited number of tools.

Colin62
15th December 2012, 06:20 PM
...and at no time is the lathe stopped so that you can see the finish.

Interesting that they chose not to show the finish achieved when they're marketing it as a finishing tool :)

Tim the Timber Turner
15th December 2012, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=artme;1585358]I bought a spindlemaster ( Hamlet = Henry Taylor. ) Good tool to use.

QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more.

Simply the best tool to use to open a stubby at the end of a hard days turning.:D

Cheers

Tim

Jonzjob
15th December 2012, 08:18 PM
I haven't had problems with the good old 3/8" spindle gouge for small bowls, vases, goblets and such and a 3/8" or 1/2" bowl gouge depending on the bowl size. I do have various scrapers but they aren't used very much. I also like my skew chisels. 1" oval, 1/2" rectangular with the corners rounded very slightly, 1/4" rectangular and my home groung 3/8" round.

Horses for courses and I haven't seen the need to fill my tool draws and more.

This was done with my 3/8 spindle gouge

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Yewdish.jpg

I use the smaller tools for these

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Minibox4.jpg

The taller vase is about 1' high

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Miniyew2.jpg

robo hippy
16th December 2012, 06:53 AM
Well, since I don't drink any more (God invented Whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world! Though I preferred a good beer...) I use my Spindle masters for opening finish cans. Or mumbly peg.

robo hippy

Jonzjob
16th December 2012, 08:02 AM
Well, with mumbly peg I could get the knife into the side welt of my shoe without touching my foot:cool: :cool:

And you ???

Just noticed? Is that really you Eugene?? I know yer here somewhere :doh:

Paul39
16th December 2012, 10:51 AM
:no:Another gimmick tool to extract more money from the wallet. :shrug:
Like I sa:no:id,

The Packard Woodworks catalog has 21 pages of turning tools.

Here is the online part: Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source: Woodturning Tools (http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=tools)

Bob Stocksdale was reputed to use only a 1/2 inch bowl gouge for most of his work.

Salad Bowl with Servers by Bob Stocksdale / American Art (http://americanart.si.edu/collections/search/artwork/?id=23071)

His bowls: https://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=853&bih=506&q=bob+stocksdale+bowls&oq=bob+stocksdale+&gs_l=img.1.2.0i24l4.155797.155797.1.158213.1.0.0.1.1.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1ac.1.4jRBTeJSZf8

NeilS
22nd December 2012, 10:24 AM
The two significant features of the Owen 'finishing' scraper are the round bottomed bar for rolling the tool on the tool rest to achieve a shear angle and the weight of the tool to reduce vibration. Both good features, but it evades me why solid HSS is needed to achieve either of these features. An excessively expensive solution.

The cutting (scraping) edge steel only needs to be a few mm deep to do the job. Any cutter like the Robert Sorby Cutter Tip (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/robert-sorby-rs213-large-tear-drop-cutter) will do the job.

Screw any one of the various shaped tips that are available to a solid round bar and you get the weight and rotation provided by the Owen scraper.

I'm not convinced that the tool is achieving anything new.

jimbur
22nd December 2012, 10:42 AM
Neil, provide something heavy and you can then justify the price.:D

Paul39
22nd December 2012, 11:28 AM
I'm not convinced that the tool is achieving anything new.

It puts new money in the pockets of Henry Taylor and Tracy Owen. :D:D:D

NeilS
22nd December 2012, 04:12 PM
Neil, provide something heavy and you can then justify the price.:D

... : ~}

It puts new money in the pockets of Henry Taylor and Tracy Owen. :D:D:D

Which is not a bad thing in itself, IMO.

I take my hat off to anyone who makes their living from woodturning, which of necessity requires some supplementation from demos, publications and the sale of stuff like signature tools. And, some turners end up being better known for their signature tools than their own work, e.g. David Ellsworth, which then promotes the sale of their woodturning.

As I see it, Owen's tool is not shonky (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shonky), just unnecessarily expensive for the purpose. If there is a market for it, good luck to him, as it will be a few more meals on his table.

As for Henry Taylor, they have earned their reputation as tool makers and any extra sales they make that keep them in the game is also a good thing for all of us.

But, I'm just not going to be helping them out myself on this one...:no:

Paul39
23rd December 2012, 04:12 AM
Neil,

I agree with your post #22.

I am a bit cynical about Famous: Turner, Photographer, Golfer, etc. in advertisements holding the tool of the trade implying that if one had the Famous: Tool, Camera, Club, etc., one can be as good as the Famous.

NeilS
23rd December 2012, 08:58 AM
i am a bit cynical about famous: Turner, photographer, golfer, etc. In advertisements holding the tool of the trade implying that if one had the famous: Tool, camera, club, etc., one can be as good as the famous.

+1
:)

robo hippy
25th December 2012, 04:32 AM
I tried one of the tear dropped scraper tips on a bar a long time ago, probably a Sorby, and didn't like it then. There isn't anything that can be done with it that could not be done with standard scrapers, at least not when turning bowls. The fluteless gouges are made for bevel rubbing cuts, and you can't do that with the tear dropped scrapers.

robo hippy

NeilS
26th December 2012, 09:06 AM
tear dropped scraper tips.... There isn't anything that can be done with it that could not be done with standard scrapers, at least not when turning bowls.

Agreed, just suggested as a cheaper option than the Owen scraper.

The fluteless gouges are made for bevel rubbing cuts, and you can't do that with the tear dropped scrapers.

Agreed, one is a gouge and the other a scraper. If you are rubbing on the bevel (ie neg. bevel) you are not scraping.

robo hippy
26th December 2012, 10:18 AM
Actually, the Owens tool can be used either as a scraper, or as a bevel rubbing tool. I do bevel rubbing cuts with my scrapers all the time. I am a bit on the weird side as well.

robo hippy

Jonzjob
26th December 2012, 06:35 PM
Don't ask questions like that Robo. Someone may well answer :D :D