PDA

View Full Version : Hand Plane

TOMARTOM
31st October 2001, 07:56 AM
Have my heart set on a small hand plane/ but I am unsure as Stanley has two models both I believe to be a similar size phisically only differing in the blade angle, one is about 11 degrees and the other something like 23 degrees.

Any thoughts as to which angle of the plane is better for "cleanup' work' in furniture making.

your thoughts appreciated

Tony

John Saxton
31st October 2001, 09:13 PM
Hi Tony,generally a smoothing plane is used for finishing work and with Stanley planes at present these are either the No 3, No 4,No4&1/2 or the No 4C.
The two (small) planes you mentioned may well be the low angle ( in terms of blade angle) block planes normally used in (shooting)finishing or cleaning end grain but can be used in awkward or wild grain surface finishing providing the adjustable mouth is closed to a minimal distance and the plane used in circular motions so as to skew the cut of the wild grain.
If you are buying your first plane then a No3 or a No4 would suit your needs or if your budget permits and you can get hold of a 4C which has a corrugated surface reducing the amount of surface friction thereby requiring less energy on your part in working the tool.

Just my 2c worth
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Forgot to add that the smoothing planes have a blade angle of 25% whereas the two block planes one has an angle 21% with a fixed mouth and the other has an angle of 13.5% with an adjustable mouth.
All the smoothing planes have the bevel of the iron "rubbing the surface of the timber in the angle of approach whereas the blockplanes have the angle of the iron facing up and with their low angle of approach..not so aggressive in the cut.

------------------
Johnno

[This message has been edited by John Saxton (edited 31 October 2001).]

TOMARTOM
31st October 2001, 10:42 PM
John,
Thanks for the advice regarding the different planes and purposes. I have a smothing plane, but I find that after assembling frames for furniture, the wood requires 'finishing' and the smoothing plane is a little hard in one hand. I use mainly recycled floorboards, baltic pine etc which can tend to warp a little.

Thanks again

regards Tony

John Saxton
1st November 2001, 07:14 PM
Tony,Lie Nielson make a No 1 bench plane which is smaller than the stanley No 4 but is ver..y expensive here in this country.
MIK International in Adelaide carry a range of planes both small and large of various makes.
One local one Colin clenton makes wooden planes and there may be one in that range that may well suit you.
Then again the Stanley adjustable mouth model block plane may well suit you providing you go steady with it on a trial and error basis.
Why not go to your nearest dealer and ask him if you can try one out to see if it will do what you want?
Just some more thoughts.

------------------
Johnno

TOMARTOM
1st November 2001, 09:35 PM
John

Have spent quite a bit of money at MIK, so I might go back there and browse....

Thanks again

Tony

ubeaut
2nd November 2001, 12:51 AM
Johnno - Colen Clenton (the Garden Gnome) doesn't make planes he makes the most wonderful squares and mitre guages etc. Terry Gordon is the plane maker you are thinking of his email address is [email protected]

John Saxton
2nd November 2001, 11:42 PM
That's him Neil,thanks, I was flicking between sites and got caught out.

AlexS
4th November 2001, 08:25 PM
It sounds like one of Terry Gordon's planes may be what you need - the greatest thing since sliced bread for fine clean-up. Just takes a bit of getting used to setting it.