PDA

View Full Version : What for and for how long should a national flag be half-masted?

Kris.Parker1
10th April 2005, 12:29 AM
Hi all,

In response to a recent thread started by Ryan Archer, I have decided to put a poll on the board in the hope of attracting a wider audience. It is a subject close to a lot of peoples hearts and I would like to get peoples honest opinion on the matter.

So I guess here's the question:

What for and for how long should a national flag be half-masted?

For those of you who are interested please click on the link below to see the original thread.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=137136#post137136 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=137136#post137136)

Over to you.

Cheers

Kris

Wood Borer
10th April 2005, 01:01 AM
Kris,

I put don't care.

I take life and death seriously but most of your options have the decision being made by the government. Perhaps the decision making should be taken away from politicians and other opportunists and given to someone who is genuine with no political connections.

Unfortunately governments seem to use emotions such as death to their own national and international politcal advantage. In other words they have cheapened life and feelings. I make my own decision who I mourn and who I respect.

I think those who have done good or who have unselfishly sacrificed their lives for the benefit of others should be remembered and lowering the flag is one way of recognising their unselfish life.

The reflection on their life should serve as encouragement to others to make the world a better place not as an opportunity for politicians to canvass for more votes or try to increase their popularity.

ryanarcher
10th April 2005, 08:30 AM
WoodBorer,
Well spoken Mate. :)

Sturdee
10th April 2005, 10:04 AM
I take life and death seriously but most of your options have the decision being made by the government. Perhaps the decision making should be taken away from politicians and other opportunists and given to someone who is genuine with no political connections.

I fully agree with that.

In the example I gave in the other thread about the practice at the golf club it was done for every member. Not only if they were good or popular or wellknown members but also for the bores and the wankers and nitpickers and cranks ( IMO 95 % of members :eek: ). :D :D :D

Everybody was respected and accorded this honour without reference as to if it pleased or suited the committee, it was done by tradition to all.

Peter.

Kev Y.
10th April 2005, 10:44 AM
I voted "dont care"

I may not appear too patriotic, but for what its worth I dont take a great deal of notice any more..

I am not a sports person, so the passing of Don bradman did not impact too much on me, I am not of any particular political persuasion, so the passing of ANY politician neither fills me with sadness or happiness.

Occasions such as ANZAC day I acknowledge but do not participate in, only out of respect for what those before me have sacrificed so that I may have the lifestyle I now enjoy, SETEMBER 11 ( note I did not say 9/11 - personal reasons here) is also acknowledge purely for the reason that many thousands of innocent people were killed/injured for being in a "free" country, and for the political ideals/aspirations of its leaders.

[/rantmode off]

Kris.Parker1
10th April 2005, 12:35 PM
Great comments guys. In my opinion I believe the flag should be half-masted the same no matter what the occasion. I believe this as I think that no act outways any other act - especially when it comes to death or disaster. I'd have to agree with woodborer when he mentioned that there are too any politicians out there that make it there own personal adgenda to have a flag half-masted for no reason other than to attract votes from members of his/her electorate.

Cheers

Kris

Wood Butcher
10th April 2005, 08:57 PM
I think that flags ,if they are to be lowered at all, should be lowered for anyone. I like sturdees idea and i feel that any life lost is as sad an occasion as the next life. (BTW I am not a "pro-lifer")

bob w
10th April 2005, 10:49 PM
:( :( My vote was for "All significant deaths and disasters" as, in the case of disasters, these involve ordinary people going about their day to day life and who have no control over what is about to happen to them. For this reason I believe the rest of society should show them and their families due respect and lowering the flag is a universal method of doing this. As for the "significant deaths" I would reserve the right to ensure that the flag be lowered only for someone that has dedicated their time to working for the improvement of society and certainly not for any dictatorial type. (I guess that leaves out most if not all politicians.)

I really feel that we don't do enough to support each other and the flag being flown at half mast is a sign of compassion. Anyhow that's my two bobs worth.

I will now step down off my soapbox and see what responses this brings.