PDA

View Full Version : A bit of history on the changes in turning tools

hughie
24th December 2012, 10:29 AM
There been a fair bit of talk in recent days on various turning tools etc. This link may provide a bit of the background as to how many of these tools evolved.

Turning Revolution (http://www.customwooddesign.com/turningrevolution-3.html)

tea lady
24th December 2012, 10:44 AM
Very interesting. :cool:

Bruce White
24th December 2012, 11:18 AM
His comment about the gouge speeding up his bowl work is interesting. I (self taught with help from this forum) started with gouges but now use scrapers almost exclusively on my bowls as I find that I can remove wood quickly and smoothly with less catches and with a far better off tool finish. Use them for roughing too. The biggest and best tip I have received is "sharp, sharp, sharp".

John Raine
24th December 2012, 11:27 AM
Interesting research, Hughie. You obviously are much more organized than I, as I haven't completed all the Christmas orders from SWMBO as yet. May you and yours enjoy this festive season, and all the best in the coming year.

John

hughie
24th December 2012, 12:35 PM
I
nteresting research, Hughie. You obviously are much more organized than I, as I haven't completed all the Christmas orders from SWMBO as yet. May you and yours enjoy this festive season, and all the best in the coming year.

Not quite John its about 98F in the shade and and over 106 in the shed aka shop. :U Soooo a very lazy Christmas eve, TV, The Net and Aircon :2tsup:

rsser
24th December 2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the link Hughie.

Now I thought that Peter Child's big innovation was the Superflute bowl gouge, not L&S. Anyway, his son Roy still gets a trickle of royalties for the invention.

Some folk like a scraper to do a bowl, and that's what Dale Nish described in his book on turning in the 60s (?) and interestingly Raffan did an article just on that recently in American Woodturner; but I'll have a Superflute or similar any day.

Well this year there's only one pressie to wrap, and then it's off to the shed to tidy up for the New Year.

artme
24th December 2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks Hughie! Good read!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

NeilS
30th December 2012, 08:48 PM
Loved reading that article, Hughie.

We sure have come a long way with turning tool development over that time, particularly with the bowl gouge.

Having scraped away at shallow bowls back before bowl gouges became available, I sure appreciate what we have available now.