PDA

View Full Version : fiddlewood

coffenup
25th December 2012, 10:51 PM
i am cutting down a fiddlewood tree is it any good for turning or do i just put it outside for people to collect for fire wood
some pieces will be up yo 450 mm on diamiter
regards Michael

dai sensei
25th December 2012, 10:54 PM
What's a fiddlewood tree? Doesn't ring any bells.

coffenup
25th December 2012, 10:58 PM
yes it is a tree I planted it 20 years ago & its got to big for my yard
now it has to go

spankingpigeon
25th December 2012, 11:36 PM
it should be ok to turn as apparently it is used to make musical instruments thus its common name
Citharexylum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citharexylum)

orraloon
26th December 2012, 08:49 AM
I have turned it and found it really good. Nice looking wood and finishes well. Too good for firewood. Managed to find a couple of picks from a few years back.
I was told the tree is a native of central america and has blue flowers.

Regards
John

Cliff Rogers
26th December 2012, 11:54 AM
This is the one that grows up here, the flyfox love it, they sit in the tree & chew the leaves & then spit out the balls of 'sinew', dirty buggers would spit it all over the car in the driveway so I cut down the tree that was there, never thought of trying it for turning.
Burke's Backyard > Fact Sheets > Fiddlewood (http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsheets/Trees-and-Palms/Fiddlewood/924)

coffenup
26th December 2012, 09:38 PM
we dont have flyfoxs down her in s.a.
If any guys here in s.a. want some it should be down in the next few weeks
regards Michael

TTIT
26th December 2012, 10:09 PM
A fair bit of it planted around here. Got some once to add to the collection - found it quite soft and open grained and the colour was nothing to write home about either - think yellowish Jacaranda :shrug: good 'play around' timber!

Old-Biker-UK
26th December 2012, 11:55 PM
I guess which 'Fiddlewood' you have depends on where you are!
My dataset has the following published names.

Fiddlewood (timber) Citharexylum sp. [Verbenaceae]; Petitia domingensis Jacq. & Petitia sp. [Lamiaceae]; Vitex cooperi Standl.; Vitex gaumeri Greenm.; Vitex umbrosa Sw.; Vitex sp. [Lamiaceae]; Tabebuia pallida (Lindl.) Miers [Bignoniaceae]

Fiddlewood, Berlandier’s (tree/timber) Citharexylum berlandieri B.L.Robins [Verbenaceae]

Fiddlewood, Florida (tree/timber) Citharexylum spinosum L.; Citharexylum fruticosum L. [Verbenaceae]

Fiddlewood, Jamaica (tree/timber) Citharexylum quadrangulare Jacq. [Verbenaceae]

Fiddlewood, Spiny (tree/timber) Citharexylum spinosum L. [Verbenaceae]

Fiddlweood, Wild (tree) Chimarrhis cymosa Jacq. [Rubiaceae]

Fiddlewood, Yellow (tree) Citharexylum fruticosum L. [Verbenaceae]

Mark
BTW Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

spankingpigeon
27th December 2012, 07:12 PM
if it turns out to have some nice grain i wouldnt mind a small bit ?

Richard Hodsdon
28th December 2012, 02:45 AM
We have a lot of C Quadrangulare same as the C Spinosum and it is an outstanding wood to turn. It woorks well when wet and you can finish turn with very little movement. When dry it often checks when in the log form. It has a lovely grain and a beautiful glow when polished. Knocks jacaranda into the firewood pile. have kept logs for 3 to 4 years without and insect attack (and they are viscious hers in sub tropical South Africa) .
Definitely one of the better turning woods.

coffenup
29th December 2012, 09:13 PM
spankingpigeon
when its cut down as I hurt my back yesterday I will pm you and if you want you can have as much as u want & yes it will still be green
Regards Michael