PDA

View Full Version : My first post Christmas turning

gus3049
28th December 2012, 05:17 AM
Back onto the lathe and for a change, I thought I'd turn some of my stack of Yew (will it last John!!!!????)

I suppose this would be called a hollow form. However, I am always surprised at the almost religious keeping to the 'classical' accepted shapes that seem to be everywhere. The smooth curves and graduations that are 'right' are not - necessarily. I don't believe there is really a right or a wrong as far as design and art is concerned.

In this case, I like the step at the shoulder because it makes a more interesting pattern because of the change in grain direction. I'm sure we would get some more interesting results if more turners forget about the 'usual' and just tried different things to see what turned up.

Maybe I'm lucky to have a large enough wood stash to be able to play.

Anyway, comments and critique are welcome as always.

chambezio
28th December 2012, 09:22 AM
Your design is simple but the result is spectacular. You have let the timber express itself. I like it! The grain and colour are reminiscent to our Cypress Pine

artme
28th December 2012, 09:46 AM
Absolute agreement from me Gus!
And absolute agreemen with you Chambezio!!

:clap::clap::clap:

tea lady
28th December 2012, 09:51 AM
Very nice. I like the natural edge wandering about to. :cool: So how big is it? I might have made the finial a bit finer, but that's just me. :shrug:

BlackbuttWA
28th December 2012, 10:07 AM
Absolute agreement from me Gus!
And absolute agreemen with you Chambezio!!

:clap::clap::clap:

Beautiful

Col

gus3049
28th December 2012, 07:10 PM
Very nice. I like the natural edge wandering about to. :cool: So how big is it? I might have made the finial a bit finer, but that's just me. :shrug:

I absolutely agree with you about the finial. I intend to do it again. I was a bit worried about making it too flimsy as this would get used as a box I suspect so might get a bit more use than some.

Its 5" diameter.

I'm going to make some more like this but make the whole top section a lid to give better access to the 'box'.

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments.

powderpost
28th December 2012, 09:53 PM
I'm going to make some more like this but make the whole top section a lid to give better access to the 'box'.

Nice job Gus, I would take advantage of the natural edge and make the top fit inside it. Still a nice job. :2tsup:
Jim

dr4g0nfly
29th December 2012, 08:18 AM
I agree completely with TL. There is nothing wrong with the shape of the bowl/hollowform but the finial is a little heavy.

I note that you've said you will remake it already though.

If you intend it to be a piece for use, not display, don't make the fit too tight. A one handed lift is good.

Řistein
29th December 2012, 09:53 AM
Nice Wood and Nice work. It looks great here from the high North.

gus3049
29th December 2012, 01:27 PM
Nice Wood and Nice work. It looks great here from the high North.

Thanks.

How is the weather up there? Here, its very mild but its wet wet wet.

gus3049
29th December 2012, 01:29 PM
I agree completely with TL. There is nothing wrong with the shape of the bowl/hollowform but the finial is a little heavy.

I note that you've said you will remake it already though.

If you intend it to be a piece for use, not display, don't make the fit too tight. A one handed lift is good.

Its on today's list. There is another piece that this finial fits exactly and is more in proportion, so thats where it will go.

gus3049
31st December 2012, 02:43 AM
There you go TL, hope you like that one a bit better. Its still not that fine but I'm happy that it suits the 'box' now.

dr4g0nfly
31st December 2012, 06:35 AM
Lots better the point almost looks like the flame of a candle.

However I preferred the transition (of the first finial) of the capstan between the tear and the lid.

Peter Jennings
31st December 2012, 09:14 AM
Very nice work.
I have a bit of yew piled up in our barn since I pulled it out of a skip about 15 years ago, but am getting some very fine cracks as I turn it...did you get this? Not full thickness splits, more like a surface crazing.

dr4g0nfly
1st January 2013, 08:01 AM
Peter,

Are the fine cracks forming while you turn it (tools) or sand it (abrasive).

It's not uncommon for old dry timber (or even over kiln dried fresh timber) to form heat checks while being sanded.

gus3049
1st January 2013, 08:12 AM
Very nice work.
I have a bit of yew piled up in our barn since I pulled it out of a skip about 15 years ago, but am getting some very fine cracks as I turn it...did you get this? Not full thickness splits, more like a surface crazing.

Hi Peter,

I have invested in quite a large supply of thin CA glue:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Most of the cracks appear in the usual place, right around the pith which I tend to include because of the appearance. As soon as I have the outside shape finished, I tend to give it a coat of sanding sealer and then CA all the cracks.

The yew is very prone to cracking if its turned thin and the speed is too high, the heat seems to disagree with it. I tend to slow the lathe down as I approach the final thickness and use the scraper to finish. Those I have left quite thick have only cracked around the pith.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Peter Jennings
15th January 2013, 05:26 AM
Thanks...it is late on in process they appear, so may be too much pressure/speed when sanding.