PDA

View Full Version : removing epoxy glue?

womble
11th April 2005, 10:15 AM
I've got a set of silky oak chairs which I will have to restore one day, the problem is the previous owners did a pretty shabby resto a few years ago and used what looks like an epoxy glue in the joints. It's a pale yellow in colour, rock hard and was also glooped (technical term) over any loose dowels (several of which are broken off completely as well). What can you use to remove this stuff in the way of chemicals, or will it just have to be scraped off instead?

bitingmidge
11th April 2005, 10:33 AM
If it's epoxy, you won't have much luck with chemicals, but you could try heating it to soften it before scraping.

Cheers,

P

conwood
11th April 2005, 10:39 AM
sharp chisel will do the job.
regards,
conwood

AlexS
11th April 2005, 11:32 AM
Wear your safety glasses when doing as Midge & Conwood say. It comes away in sharp chips that fly straight for your eye. DAMHIK.

Kris.Parker1
11th April 2005, 08:56 PM
Mate I have to agree with conwood and bitingmidge. Grab a good chisel, a bucket of elbow grease and a good sander.

Cheers

Kris

Dicky Knee
26th April 2005, 11:42 PM
From my small experience using epoxies on boats, what you have sounds like the wrong colour. Epoxy, if properly mixed, should cure clear.
If it is epoxy, bitingmidge is on the right track; it will weaken considerably above about 50 degrees C.
It's still going to be a bugger, but.

STEPHEN MILLER
27th April 2005, 12:13 PM
This glue sounds like Purbond it is a single pack polyurethane glue that needs moistire in the wood and then it froths out if the joint a bit like expanding foam. It can be sanded scraped etc the glue is good for laminating or big joints with lots of overlap not so good in chairs. It is made by Boatcraft Pacific in Vic.

soundman
27th April 2005, 10:22 PM
It might just be yellow pva type glue ( alaphalactic resin ).
Epoxy will be more rubbery than brittle particularly when heated. Either way persistence is a virtue.
cheers

STEPHEN MILLER
28th April 2005, 03:04 PM
Purbond sets hard and is not flexible like west system or boatcote etc but it could be yellow PVA like shalinga like Timbecon sell