PDA

View Full Version : You call THAT a glue up...?

AlexS
11th April 2005, 11:42 AM
Here's a nice complicated glue-up on my latest box. 20 pieces in one hit, although the lid is not glued to the carcass (duh!) - just held in place so it fits.

Wood Borer
11th April 2005, 11:51 AM
Slow setting glue?

AlexS
11th April 2005, 12:20 PM
Techniglue - about 30 minutes working time.

Slavo
11th April 2005, 01:55 PM
Alex, how do you ensure that the tape wont stick with the glue, or do you inten to scrape it off?

echnidna
11th April 2005, 02:03 PM
interesting box

Different
11th April 2005, 04:58 PM
Alex

I think you need to find a less stressfull hobby. That is just too stressfull to be fun

Ross

AlexS
11th April 2005, 05:33 PM
Alex, how do you ensure that the tape wont stick with the glue, or do you inten to scrape it off?

The inside of the box is oiled/waxed first, so the squeeze out comes away easily.

The tape came off OK, but the inevitable smears of glue have to be scraped off.

Ross, the stress relief comes when I take off the tape and hit the lid with a rubber hammer to get it off. The little bits of glue between the lid & carcase don't stick too well if the edges are oiled.

Dean
11th April 2005, 05:35 PM
"secure it with some brads" ;) ;) ;) :rolleyes:

ptc
11th April 2005, 06:32 PM
Well let's see it without the tape Please !

Dan
11th April 2005, 08:28 PM
So, did you lay the pieces out flat, tape the joins, then flip the whole lot over, apply glue and fold up into interresting box shape. Or some other method? :)

Phil Spencer
11th April 2005, 09:17 PM
Here's a nice complicated glue-up on my latest box. 20 pieces in one hit, although the lid is not glued to the carcass (duh!) - just held in place so it fits.That looks hard and confusing, I would have to be drunk to try that.

Regards

Phil Spencer

AlexS
11th April 2005, 11:13 PM
So, did you lay the pieces out flat, tape the joins, then flip the whole lot over, apply glue and fold up into interresting box shape. Or some other method? :)

Exactly that, Dan. Then applied more tape, stretching it as I went.

bat
22nd April 2005, 05:07 PM
I made a soccer ball out of wood once, and that is exactly how I did it. I used glue and tape, and wrapped the (boxing) tape around it several times to pull the joints together as tightly as possible. I used regular yellow wood glue, and just worked REALLY fast to glue the thing up all in one shot.

johnsymons
22nd April 2005, 09:35 PM
have you got a pic of that after completion??

I made a soccer ball out of wood once, and that is exactly how I did it. I used glue and tape, and wrapped the (boxing) tape around it several times to pull the joints together as tightly as possible. I used regular yellow wood glue, and just worked REALLY fast to glue the thing up all in one shot.

Dave in Malanda
23rd April 2005, 10:01 AM
Cutting the pieces AND getting them to fit must have been fun ! I assume you used a shop made jig for this process ?

Looking forward to seeing ball finished . How big is it ?

Dave

bat
23rd April 2005, 10:10 AM
have you got a pic of that after completion??

Yep, thought not a very good one. The lighter wood is Cherry, and the darker is Walnut.

AlexS
23rd April 2005, 02:25 PM
Pics of the finished box. It's about 160 dia., made from mangrove cedar (Xylocarpus) and finished with Kunos oil.