PDA

View Full Version : Drill press as lathe

derekcohen
11th April 2005, 03:23 PM
In the absence of a real lathe, and wanting to turn some chisel handles (nothing bigger than this), my mind turned (sorry about that!) to what I could cobble together in the workshop.

I do have a jig or sorts (I am almost embarrassed to mention this on this forum), which is one of those aluminium stands/beds into which you bolt your powered hand drill. I think I used it once, about 10 years ago, and the noise not only terrified the neighbours but made me wet my pants! No, I don't want this much noise.

Then I had this inspired idea (?!) that I could use my floor standing drill press (3/4 HP) along with this (or another) jig. I looked on the Internet for any similar (crazy) ideas, and did find just one (called the Vertilathe). See http://www.mytoolstore.com/vertilat/vertilat.html

This is very similar to my idea, with the exception that I planned to connect the aluminium Poor-man's-lathe since it has a proper bed, a tool rest, and a (cheap) tail. No head as yet (that will be held by the drill chuck) - must have got lost somewhere.

OK, so what I want to know is what can be done to improve this set up. Is there a cheap head and tail that I could add? Keeping in mind that I will not turn anything over 12" long, what are your thoughts/opinions here. Should I just toss the idea and buy a GMC for turning handles (since the replacement head/tail might cost enough to push the price into this range)?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Iain
11th April 2005, 04:30 PM
I have seen these in different magazines over the years and for occassional use it seems OK.
Looking at your link it appears that the tailstock and toolrest are fixed on a solid bar which is bolted to the base.
I bought a set of Record attachments a few years ago which comprised of different interchangeable tailstocks and headstock spurs, this would be ideal for what you are trying to achieve and with a good, solid rigid piece of rod as a toolrest would work well for your application.
Not as good as a 'real' lathe but a damned lot cheaper for a once a year dusting off.
For memory I think it was in an early Australian Woodsmith if you want to check their archives (if it's possible).

afterthought A weekend crawl around garage sales could yield the bits you need for next to nothing, a quick clean up and service, who knows you may even find a complete lathe!!!

Termite
11th April 2005, 04:30 PM
Worthwhile thinking about Derek. :)

bitingmidge
11th April 2005, 04:51 PM
I agree with the sentiment, but at the end of the day I'm not so sure that it is "worth" the mucking around to have a tool that in the end will only do half the job??

A mini lathe can be had for $250.00 http://www.timbecon.com.au/details/mini-lathe-12604.aspx and will be much more versatile and much less dangerous. (From an inexpert turner's perspective, I can see many instances where the restricted angle at the base could cause me grief!)

There have been a number of plans published recently based on building a timber one, and I would have thought that would have been preferable?

The mini lathe is small enough to be packed away, and in the event that you want to turn a bigger handle (for a slick perhaps?) you can buy an extension bed quite economically as well.

Of course, I bought mine with a similar intent, but if you reckon hand tools are a slippery slope ..........

Cheers,

P

Coldamus
11th April 2005, 05:20 PM
Derek,

McJing in Sydney (Yagoona actually) has a vertical lathe attachment for drill press at A$60. Looks similar to the one at the link you posted. See:

http://www.mcjing.com.au/woodworking/index.htm

(Look under "Woodturning Acc." and scroll right to the bottom)

I don't see a need for a bed with this setup since both the headstock and tailstock are moveable. (the headstock being the drillpress head and the tailstock being its table with the plate and bearing attached). I suppose effectively the drillpress column becomes the bed.

I've been thinking of trying one as I need to make some wooden knobs for plane handles.

regards
Coldamus

scooter
11th April 2005, 10:09 PM
Funny you mention this Derek...

I wanted to make a tamper for the coffee machine. No lathe, but had read about 1. using the drill press and 2. using the router table.

I ripped a piece of cypress to about 60 x 60 (using the sawblade I bought from Mick - newie and cut like a knife thru butter), marked centres on each end and screwed on a couple of circles cut out of some thin (9mm or so) pine with a fly cutter.

Put a straight bit in the router/table, set up a couple of stop blocks at either end, and rotated the stock against the bit. Bit of fine tuning with the stop blocks, fence position, etc but got there in the end, and finished with a cylinder about 57mm diam.

Took screws out, used a countersink (sharp) for a "spur" drive (smacked with a hammer to "notch" into the end grain, then put into chuck of drill press). Used a dowel centre marker for "live centre" (lingo?) for other end (candle wax for lube).

Stuck for a bit of something for a toolrest, ended up ...wait for it...clamping a concrete block to my homemade drill press table :) Yeah, I know, crappy as but this was all experimental and tea was looming.

Had bought a while back a very cheap set of turning tools at Bunnings, tried a gouge and a scraper but results were crappy (blunt tools didn't help here). I ended up just holding a card scraper in both hands and letting the hook do the (minimal) amount of shaping required - worked a treat.

Cut workpiece to length with scms and Robert's your fathers brother.

Observations -
-more homework/experimentation needed with setting up the router table turning, in this use the router bit is "grabby" so setup is pretty critical.
-Make the circles bigger than the diagonal measurement of the timber-DAMHINT...Ok, ask away, I made 'em too small & ended up roughing the corners down with the electric plane before the stock would rotate on the circles-silly bugger.
-Wood turning tools need to be sharp, probably particularly so for half rssed ideas like this :)
-Rig up a better toolrest !
-Card scrapers are handy things
-Better tailstock is needed, did the job here but was heating up.
-Coffee machine likes the tamper - me too !

Over to you..........cheers.............Sean, turnabout

echnidna
11th April 2005, 10:22 PM
I recall something like that being done in an old uk "Practical Woodworking" in the 80-'s or so. While it is mechanically feasible its probably not an economically feasibly thing to do given the price of a complete elcheapo lathe.

My current lathe cost $79 from supercheap on special last year.
It replaced my original home made completely timber lathe. My old home madie is a better lathe for big stuff but the elcheapy is ok for spindles.
Though I really have hardly used it over the last year

If it hits you as a fun thing to do - go for it.
But if you just wanna lathe for odd bits just get a cheapy.

derekcohen
11th April 2005, 11:18 PM
Here is a picture of the set up I built. It feels quite rigid. It is located with two bolts on the left, and "tied" to the drill with an aluminium strap I made. The whole thing can be set up/removed in a couple of minutes.

Tried "turning" a jarrah dowel with a few blunt turning chisels I have, and it did an OK job - until the head cam a little loose (dowel just stuck into drill chuck as no headstock). Can anyone suggest a cheap headstock to buy (where, rough price), or what I could make myself).

I will look at Supercheap - $79 (if they have any at that price) is amazing. If all it can do are handles, then it would be perfect.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Interwood
12th April 2005, 12:06 AM
Hi Derek,

After all your hard work you probably don't want to hear this. I was at Bunnings Melville on Sunday and they had the GMC ML1000 at $69.00 :) . 1/2hp induction motor, 4 fixed speeds, up to just under 1m between centres, head and tail.
When I was back in there today (Monday) the shelf was bare - but might be worth a call to other local Bunnings if you are interested.

Interwood

routermaniac
12th April 2005, 09:52 AM
derek, Id get the gmc. bought myself one too for basically that reason (turning handles) and seeing if I would enjoy turning.. I am using only half the bed (did not bolt the other half on as I dont need it)... this has minimised any flex.

For a hack like myself, I was able to turn some handles like the old titan ones designed to take sleeves with little practice... The possibilities are endless and if you are so inclined it isnt too hard to turn some very detailed handles.

It is another great toy to play with, at the moment, I am using tainless steel pipe for the sleeves which doesnt look anywhere near as good as the brass... Does anyone have a source for brass pipe?

Barry_White
12th April 2005, 10:00 AM
I am using tainless steel pipe for the sleeves which doesnt look anywhere near as good as the brass... Does anyone have a source for brass pipe?
I usually use old brass king pin bushes. Just the right diam and you can usually get two out of each bush.

derekcohen
12th April 2005, 10:22 PM
Picked up a GMC Lathe this evening for $69 (from the Bunnings O'Connor store). Oh God, another slippery slope!!!

Regards from Perth

Derek

echnidna
12th April 2005, 11:04 PM
winko, winko

Interwood
15th April 2005, 02:13 AM
Just dropped into Bunnings Melville (WA) for 3 x 29 cent nuts and found two more GMC $69 lathes in the tool section.

Left store with intended purchase and 1 x GMC ML1000 lathe - leaving one on the shelf again. :)

Arriving home discovered just how portable the lathe is - SWMBO storms into family room - kind enough to carry it in from the car for me ... she still can't believe that it only cost $69. (Nor that 3 nuts cost $70 with a free lathe thrown in.) :)

After deciding that retreating to the shed after dinner was a good idea - 90 minutes later am very happy with the purchase. Am hooked on this turning idea (inside Triton powered respirator) and have successfully set up lathe on workbench and turned my first small baseball bat or large rolling pin (depending on your perspective).

On returning to the house to show off my first efforts ... SWMBO immediately recognises a rolling pin ... threatens to apply it to ... :eek:

Not really that bad. SWMBO is actually quite calm now and comments that it is the first woodworking tool that I have bought that I've actually been able to produce something useful / finished product so quickly. (Muttered lots about planes and ebay as well.)

Seriously, after the bagging that these lathes have received I'm actually really quite impressed with it. Yes, it won't turn a strainer post or tree trunk - but for turning small stuff and learning the art of turning I think it will be great.

Now to turn some chisel handles :) to make some proper chisels :) to use on my new lathe.

I hope that Derek is enjoying his purchase just as much. I'm finding this turning process very theraputic. :)

And to top off a great evening, I've just found a good review of the GMC ML1000 at http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/gmcml1000.htm

Life is good! :D

Interwood

routermaniac
15th April 2005, 11:32 PM
interwood my feelings are similar. This tool has received a LOT of bad publicity but I figure if a hack like me can turn chisel handles after mucking around for half an hour it cant be THAT bad.

I would also recommend it to fellow hacks, unfortunately I paid $99 (in victoria) but even then very happy with it.