PDA

View Full Version : Axe handles

Charles Castle
3rd February 2002, 06:24 PM
As my hatchet handle is broken, I need to replace it. Can anyone tell me how to get the handle out easily without drilling it out? There is a wedge in the top of the handle.

Kev Y.
3rd February 2002, 09:45 PM
Charles, having been in the same position a few times myself, drilling seems to be the "easiest" option, however, I remember being told once, that another way was to tos the axe head in a fire and burn the broken handle out..

My heistation here is, WHAT will that do to the properties of the axe head?

anyway, I have always just resorted to the drilling method, takes some time but gets the job done.

Kev.

Harry
3rd February 2002, 09:46 PM
Cut the handle off about 2 inches before the head, position the head and what's left of the handle over a vice that is open enough to clear the handle coming through and beat the cut end of the handle through the head. A mesh hammer works best.

JackoH
4th February 2002, 09:58 AM
My Grandad, who was a pretty mean axeman always used to chuck his in the fire and burn 'em out. He reckoned that the axe didn't get hot enough to spoil the temper, as he fished them out as soon as the wood next to the metal was charred, it would fall out easily.
Regards. John H. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif:

(I've still got the axe. 2 new handles & 1 new head and it is as good as ever![joke].)

[This message has been edited by John Hambly (edited 04 February 2002).]

Eastie
4th February 2002, 03:37 PM
Agree with the mash hammer - unless the head is set in resin http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/eek.gif
I grew up on logging stands with my old man and for all the handles I saw changed over never once did I see an axe thrown in the fire - although I'm sure a small fire would not get hot enough to ruin the temper.
On the other hand oxy/acetylene torches can cause damage due to the application of localise high temperatures.

Mark

Gino
17th February 2002, 07:55 PM
My wife reckons you should just buy a new one.
And she knows bloody everything.

regards

Gino