PDA

View Full Version : Mini lathe belt replacement

sjm
2nd January 2013, 11:40 AM
I killed the belt on my 1018 mini lathe today. Looks like I have to knock out the bearings and remove the shaft in order to replace it. What a pain... Still, could have been worse - luckily it happened after Christmas. Can anyone suggest where I might find a replacement?

DJ’s Timber
2nd January 2013, 12:22 PM
The shaft on these are very easy to remove, takes about 5 mins if that...just a matter of undoing the grubscrew or pin on hand wheel then unscrew it from shaft, remove grubscrew on pulley, then pull shaft out. Also when removing grubscrews, check that there isn't another one, as some put two in to lock grubscrew in.

As for replacement, maybe one of the following vendors as they sell same machines.

Woodturning Tools, Woodturning Timber, Woodturner Accessories, Woodcarver Supplies, Woodturning Equipment - Pop's Shed (http://www.popsshed.com.au/)

Lathes - Wood (http://www.ledamachinery.com.au/index.php/lathes-wood)

CARBA-TEC - Woodworking Tools and Woodworking Machines (http://www.carbatec.com.au/)

Or take the belt to an industrial supplier and get them to match it.

Paul39
2nd January 2013, 12:52 PM
I killed the belt on my 1018 mini lathe today. Looks like I have to knock out the bearings and remove the shaft in order to replace it. What a pain... Still, could have been worse - luckily it happened after Christmas. Can anyone suggest where I might find a replacement?

The seller or manufacturer would be the best source. Detailed instructions for replacing the belt would be most helpful.

In case you are not experienced with removing and replacing spindles:

It is not good to knock out bearings using the spindle. The balls or tapered rollers might make little dents in the races which leads to an "expensive noise" and calls for replacing the bearings.

Once you have determined how the spindle comes out, with or without the bearings, penetrating oil and cleaning the spindle of any rust or roughness with 400 or 600 grit paper will ease dis-assembly if the spindle comes out and bearings stay in.

If the bearings come out with the shaft, penetrating oil around the outer race helps. If hard to move, heating the headstock near the bearings with a heat gun or hair dryer will sometimes help.

Some lathes use the step pulley to locate the spindle. There will usually be a set screw or two and may also have a key in a slot. Look carefully for the set screw or screws.

Some lathes have a nut with a set screw on the outside of the spindle to locate and adjust spindle play. The hand wheel may do the same. The threads can be right or left handed.

Be gentle and don't force anything.

I hope it goes easily.

Hughie on this forum is a good person to consult.

ADD: DJ writes faster and has specific information.

Sturdee
2nd January 2013, 01:28 PM
Can anyone suggest where I might find a replacement?

Pop's shed has them in stock. About $ 9 when I saw them before Christmas. Unfortunately the're closed until next week.

Peter.

RETIRED
2nd January 2013, 01:29 PM
Robbos tip no. 105 from his book of dirty tricks.

Get 2 and tape the other one out of the way when you reassemble. Saves a lot of headaches and Murphy's law is that while you have a spare, the original will last forever.:D

Paul39
2nd January 2013, 01:44 PM
Robbos tip no. 105 from his book of dirty tricks.

Get 2 and tape the other one out of the way when you reassemble. Saves a lot of headaches and Murphy's law is that while you have a spare, the original will last forever.:D

Or tape gets unstuck and spare falls onto pulley, gets tangled and shreds both belts.

RETIRED
2nd January 2013, 03:08 PM
Or tape gets unstuck and spare falls onto pulley, gets tangled and shreds both belts.
That too.:D

jimbur
2nd January 2013, 04:28 PM
I've used Naismiths in Heidelberg Road, Northcote and found them really good.

sjm
2nd January 2013, 05:28 PM
Cool, thanks for the replies.

So far, I've had a quote for $19 from Carbatec, and I've found them online (Rockler) for $9.

I had a look at the Naismith catalog - it seems their poly-v belts start with 4 groove and go up. I don't really want to slice one in half lengthways.

I'll try Pop's shed, although it's a bit of a drive... (Never been there before, so it's a good excuse).
And yes, I'll be getting a few.

I removed the spindle without too much drama, just needed a BFH :;

jimbur
2nd January 2013, 06:50 PM
I had a look at the Naismith catalog - it seems their poly-v belts start with 4 groove and go up. I don't really want to slice one in half lengthways.
:;
You turn up and they slice it for you from much larger sections. Really helpful people I found.