PDA

View Full Version : small hollow vessel with spirals

hughie
2nd January 2013, 12:38 PM
Small hollow vessel made from Desert Oak [Acacia Coriacea Sericophylla] for more info try here Desert Oak (http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/desertoak.htm)

4.5" high x 4.0" dia showing the sap wood around the major diameter. This timber take a fine polish with either oil or wax and is a joy to turn.

Part of the Christmas range I have been doing, a bit late but the shed is in the middle of a revamp as well. Plus I/We are baby sitting three grandchildren made it kinda hard to achieve anything.

Paul39
2nd January 2013, 12:58 PM
Hughie,

That is beautiful!

One of the best things about grandchildren is you can give them back to their parents when they have worn you out.

bowl-basher
2nd January 2013, 01:25 PM
Hughie,

That is beautiful!

One of the best things about grandchildren is you can give them back to their parents when they have worn you out.

:no::no::no::no: Not always so I have been trying to give one back for the last 20 years and still can't find some one to take him

turnerted
2nd January 2013, 04:38 PM
Another winner Hughie. Great work.
Ted

sjm
2nd January 2013, 05:02 PM
Gorgeous!

ian thorn
2nd January 2013, 07:40 PM
love it well done

Ian

wheelinround
2nd January 2013, 07:41 PM
Hughie a master piece love the wood.

Yes grand children are the blessing for never having killed your own kids. The revenge is spoiling them like your kids got from their grand parents.

Bowl Basher he'll one day thankyou for being there for him. Hope Jen's doing well.

powderpost
2nd January 2013, 08:52 PM
Another nice job Hughie.... :2tsup:
Jim

artme
2nd January 2013, 09:17 PM
Like it a lot Hughie!! Right up to your usual standard!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

dai sensei
2nd January 2013, 10:38 PM
Now that is amazingly beautiful :cool::2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
3rd January 2013, 12:56 AM
Hughie,

The effect of the heart wood against the sap wood is dramatic.

I think the optical illusion of being off centre/out-of-balance is the big feature of this piece, I imagine as you rotate it (or walk around it) the amount of the effect changes but still resides in the eye. It may even be disconcerting to some people!

Fantastic work - as always :2tsup:.

chuck1
3rd January 2013, 07:14 PM
wow that is very nice

TTIT
3rd January 2013, 11:02 PM
Doesn't seem fair for someone to be making better stuff out of my wood than I do!!! Nice one Hughie :2tsup::2tsup:

RETIRED
4th January 2013, 07:55 AM
Doesn't seem fair for someone to be making better stuff out of my wood than I do!!! Nice one Hughie :2tsup::2tsup:Yeah. Don't it just make ya wanna spit?:wink:

Wood Nut
4th January 2013, 10:43 AM
:)You have achieved a stunning result Hughie. I really like the effect of the sapwood, the shape, angle of the carvings, and the way they finish is just stunning etc. etc. etc.
Envious, as usual.
Sorry I missed you on Thursday, but I did manage a couple of other visits while in Sydney.

Cheers, Paul

NeilS
4th January 2013, 05:12 PM
......:2tsup: