PDA

View Full Version : Thanks WoodNut

nz_carver
3rd January 2013, 07:34 PM
Well as some of you may know I put the call out when I was haveing a problem with my
nova 1624-44 about 2 weeks back, I'm happy to say after a call from Woodnut today to pick something up he stopped and had a look at my lathe to see if he was able to fix the problem
and In no time flat he sorted it and now the lathe is back running at 100%

I will l leve it to him to tell you the problem as I know nothing about electrical stuff

its times like this I"m thankful for the freinds that I make on the forum :2tsup:

wheelinround
3rd January 2013, 07:40 PM
Yep Wood Nut is a top bloke for sure called in here on his way there and picked up stuff he left last time he was here. Have to admit he did bring me some real nice River Oak.

Many thanks Paul.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Dave glad the lathe is back to 100% now just need to find someone to fix you :q

Wood Nut
3rd January 2013, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the kind words gentleman

Ray - Sue's cooking is Always a great attraction, and I always enjoy the visit with you.

Dave - just to let everyone know the problem:

When switched on, the lathe basically would not start spinning - just sat there and "wobbled" a bit. This is bad for the motor as the current through the start windings is higher than it should be in this situation so if left for too long the windings burn out - then its a new motor or rewind.

However, if given a spin by hand it would run normally so it had to be the start capacitor (or the windings - expensive option).

It was obviously not the switch!

Fortunately Dave had a spare capacitor supplied with the lathe so it was a simple matter of changing it and the lathe now runs perfectly - in forward and reverse.

He now has no excuse to buy a replacement lathe, but I bet he will!

Pleased I could help.

Cheers,
Paul

nz_carver
3rd January 2013, 09:14 PM
I know but the other lathe has been on the cards from the day I started turning
its still along way off till I get another big lathe:no:

chuck1
4th January 2013, 09:21 AM
aahhh the old capacitor problem! thank god for electricly minded people! I hate tinkering with electricity