PDA

View Full Version : Specially for Jonzjob

gus3049
5th January 2013, 03:19 AM
Not a lot of turning here but the bit that is, is a special for John as he like finials so much:rolleyes:

I'm just making a barrier to stop our dinner guests falling a over t in our kitchen and I though a nice finial on top of the newell would be super!! (Not sure 'nice' is the correct description for this one but its suitable silly for John.

wheelinround
5th January 2013, 08:04 AM
Looks odd need a 2nd one for the other end :U

dr4g0nfly
5th January 2013, 08:05 AM
Gus, a thought for you.

People tend to put a cupped hand on a Newel post finial and the use it to assist with their 'swing' around the item. As such It strikes me a little pointed at the top.

But it's a damn fine bit of turning.

gus3049
5th January 2013, 08:12 AM
Looks odd need a 2nd one for the other end :U

Hmmm,

That would be fun, the newel that end is 'l' shaped as it sits just outside the edge of the wall. 'spose I could turn one and cut it to shape but I don't think I'm going to bother - see my reply to the Dragonfly for the reason:)

gus3049
5th January 2013, 08:17 AM
Gus, a thought for you.

People tend to put a cupped hand on a Newel post finial and the use it to assist with their 'swing' around the item. As such It strikes me a little pointed at the top.

But it's a damn fine bit of turning.

Aha, you spotted the reason for the shape. If any bugger tries to swing on my newel, they will get a large hole in their hand:p

It was turned from a piece of chestnut from the firewood pile and, as my wife has already managed to destroy it by smacking it with the broom, it has already joined its brothers and sisters in the Jotul, giving up its essence to provide us with some heat.

John will be disappointed I'm sure, but Ronnie (the wife) prefers the newel plain as it suits the modern nature of the kitchen units.

RETIRED
5th January 2013, 08:51 AM
The clamps would make sweeping a bit of a bugger not to mention trip hazard. :whistling2:

Jonzjob
5th January 2013, 09:04 AM
Well in reply to this and to put that youngster, Gordon, in his place, I had a commision a few weeks back from our local osteopath vet to do a ball for the top of the balustrade on the bottom of her beautiful chestnut and walnut staircase. When they moved in, just 2 years back, it was missing and she asked me if I could make a slightly contrasting jobbie that would fit?

No sweat, and this is what she is now the very proud owner of

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/IMG_7232.jpg

Turned in local cherry and the contrast is't quite as much as looks. Our vet is over the moon with it and there is NO chance of anyone getting pierced with a NASTY finial :o

wheelinround
5th January 2013, 02:10 PM
Oh I figured all that just wanted to see how good you really are.

As for the hand pain serves the idiots right..........doubles a note spike........."You have dishes to do"............."Take the rubbish out"............."Beer in fridge":U

gus3049
5th January 2013, 08:51 PM
Well in reply to this and to put that youngster, Gordon, in his place, I had a commision a few weeks back from our local osteopath vet to do a ball for the top of the balustrade on the bottom of her beautiful chestnut and walnut staircase. When they moved in, just 2 years back, it was missing and she asked me if I could make a slightly contrasting jobbie that would fit?

No sweat, and this is what she is now the very proud owner of

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/IMG_7232.jpg

Turned in local cherry and the contrast is't quite as much as looks. Our vet is over the moon with it and there is NO chance of anyone getting pierced with a NASTY finial :o

Very nice John, very classical but shall we say..... a little ordinaire?? Where's the fun in that?? No blood anywhere.

Jonzjob
5th January 2013, 09:58 PM
I do believe it's called "What the customer wanted", but then again since when has that mattered to an 'artist' :cool: :cool:

The skill was getting it to match the others :oo:

gus3049
5th January 2013, 11:30 PM
I do believe it's called "What the customer wanted", but then again since when has that mattered to an 'artist' :cool: :cool:

The skill was getting it to match the others :oo:

What a very strange attitude!!

What the hell does the customer have to do with anything???? As you say, the artiste is all that matters.