PDA

View Full Version : What is the name of this technique on a lathe ...

vanzemaljac
6th January 2013, 12:36 AM
What is the name of this technique on a lathe ...248299

KBs PensNmore
6th January 2013, 01:07 AM
I would say that it is spindle turning???:D
Regards
Kryn

chuck1
6th January 2013, 03:11 PM
spindle turning or between centre turning! good work Either way!

wheelinround
6th January 2013, 03:32 PM
Two different legs a copy lath would have been used on the 2nd one to accommodate and follow the patter to keep it squarish I agree tho spindle turning

chambezio
6th January 2013, 03:46 PM
The one on the right seems to have square details in corporated in it. So it could have been cut on a band saw then sanded smooth. Although this being the new Millennium and the New Year it was probably a product of a CNC machine- no hand work to be done.

stuffy
6th January 2013, 09:33 PM
Could be done by therming but the faces look to be fairly square so probably not.

RETIRED
6th January 2013, 09:43 PM
As I said earlier, Therming is the term of doing legs like that. These may have been done on a CNC but they used to be done on a lathe by hand.

From here: Woodturning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodturning)

Therming - mounting a carrier between centers, and then mounting the small workpiece(s) to the carrier, so that the axis of the headstock/tail-stock does not pass through any of the workpieces, and each workpiece gets cut only on one face. As noted in Wood-turning Methods by Mike Darlow, the etymology of the term "therming" comes via a corruption of the name of the Greek god Hermes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermes), who was often represented as a statue set atop a plinth with a construction characteristic of thermed work.

RETIRED
6th January 2013, 09:45 PM
Could be done by therming but the faces look to be fairly square so probably not.Teach me to take so long in answering.:D They do have a slight curve I reckon.

RETIRED
6th January 2013, 09:48 PM
Bugger pressed reply too quick. If you look at the transition from square to "round" at the fillet it looks longer at the ends.

vanzemaljac
6th January 2013, 10:21 PM
Thank you for your comments, I do it on a lathe, but I do not know the name of this technique ...I'm in love for the lathe and it is always looking for new opportunities, I almost did the same on the lathe way of working parts for desks and chairs ...
but it is important that the name of this technique would still taught ...

Dalboy
7th January 2013, 07:14 AM
The one on the left is straight spindle turning where as the one on the right is off centre spindle turning. :B

chuck1
7th January 2013, 08:57 AM
I'm a goose as I thought it was a shadow line having a closer look and reading the posts. hard to see on my phone!

artme
7th January 2013, 09:06 AM
They are beautiful bench seats Vanze!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

And the quality of your lathe work is excellent!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

vanzemaljac
7th January 2013, 09:33 AM
Thank you friends...

RETIRED
7th January 2013, 10:06 AM
I'm a goose as I thought it was a shadow line having a closer look and reading the posts. hard to see on my phone!I had to have a good look too.:D

Trent The Thief
11th January 2013, 10:35 PM
Thank you for your comments, I do it on a lathe, but I do not know the name of this technique ...I'm in love for the lathe and it is always looking for new opportunities, I almost did the same on the lathe way of working parts for desks and chairs ...
but it is important that the name of this technique would still taught ...

The benches are real beauts, but I'd be scared to be in the shop while they're spinning in the lathe! Looks like a grain thresher! :oo:

vanzemaljac
12th January 2013, 09:29 PM
I work with a small fear and respect ... I formed Wood lathe was great lengths and widths 4x22x85cm and quickly turned over, made a strong wind that froze me because to me it is winter and temperatures in the workshop bila15 degrees below zero. neither tried to heat the workshop as I did because it would be pointless until the lathe works as a great many strong fan ...