PDA

View Full Version : Knob or finial?

gus3049
7th January 2013, 04:43 AM
I posted this question on WOW and had a variety of answers from our American cousins. I wonder how they will see things in the Antipodes!!.

I know what Jonzjob will say but we will just ignore him - as one does.

I made the tall finial first but agree with the usual comment from over there that it was a bit too tall. The knob used to be a finial too but I didn't like the shape at all so cut it off. The third one is a more usual onion.

As a matter of interest, when using yew, does anyone give a warning about its poisonous qualities?? I can imagine people storing tea or even bikkies in a piece this shape. Should I worry about such things or is it only the dust that we should worry about?

Sorry about the scaling problem but I'm sure you can work out that its the same piece of wood:rolleyes:

HardingPens
7th January 2013, 06:23 AM
I like the shorter final. Looks fancier than the knob. The knob is OK, but it looks like a cookie jar to me with the knob. The final makes it look special.
I like the shorter final better than the taller one - the scale looks better on the shorter one.
Nice work, I love all the versions.

dr4g0nfly
7th January 2013, 06:53 AM
You don't say how big the pot is. It look about 6" high.

The next question is, is it functional or decorative. If functional I like the knob, if decorative I'd go with the more slender of the 2 finials - but the top of the capstan portion needs reducing in diameter.

gus3049
7th January 2013, 07:41 AM
You don't say how big the pot is. It look about 6" high.

The next question is, is it functional or decorative. If functional I like the knob, if decorative I'd go with the more slender of the 2 finials - but the top of the capstan portion needs reducing in diameter.

Ah, a difficult question that only the purchaser will be able to answer. Whilst I hope he or she will want to look at it, there may well be the temptation to put stuff in it!!!

Anyway, its off to the gallery as is (the shorter finial) as I know the owner likes them and that makes him an enthusiastic salesman!!

The pot is about 5" 'square'.

So now I have to make two things that will suit the other two tops!!

gus3049
7th January 2013, 07:42 AM
I like the shorter final. Looks fancier than the knob. The knob is OK, but it looks like a cookie jar to me with the knob. The final makes it look special.
I like the shorter final better than the taller one - the scale looks better on the shorter one.
Nice work, I love all the versions.

Thanks for the kind comments.

The shorter finial it is - see my reply to our flying insect friend:)

artme
7th January 2013, 08:57 AM
They all look good although as a purely decorative item the shorter finial looks best.

The knob is fine for a functional object such as a tea caddy.

The taller finial is a very pleasing shape but it just doesn't go with that particular form.

Sturdee
7th January 2013, 09:09 AM
IMO the middle one with the knob looks best as I think the finials detract from the main part being the pot, which looks stunning.

Most of the time people turn finials because they can, not because it makes the lids look better, and often it spoils the appearance of the item.

But I suppose I'm only a philistine. :U

Peter.

hughie
7th January 2013, 12:40 PM
I think the knob suits it quite well. But much depends on what the usage, or is it for decor. If decor, I would have the shorter finial but make slender so as not to detract from the main body. Finals are much like a hats, an adornment to the body.

Mulgabill
7th January 2013, 03:09 PM
FWIW, I basically agree with Hughie on the use of the piece. If utilitarian ie. biscuit barrel or tea caddie, then the knob would be more appropriate, however, if it a decorator piece that the shorter finial as is would suit it fine.
BTW nice form on the bowl.:2tsup:

brendan stemp
11th January 2013, 08:10 AM
First of all, Gordon, I reckon you've done a beautiful job on this. As Russell said, Form is spot on, good use of the natural features of the timber and well finished.

Now, my thoughts on finials. I think Cindy Drozda has a lot to answer for when it comes to finials. She is well recognised as one of the masters of finial work and does exquisite work. Her finials are beautifully designed, well proportioned and crisp. What she has also done is lead the way in what I would call over-sized finials but has done it in a way that works. Not an easy thing to do because norms suggest that finials should be a lot smaller than what she makes them. She has rewritten the design book when it comes to finials and this is why she is up there with the best.

Now the problem is that her designs are creeping into other people's work and if you don't get it spot on then it can look horrible. I'm not suggesting that yours are quite in the 'horrible' category, in fact they are better than a lot I have seen but I do think they are too big; both of them.

I like finials and think your pot could do with one but I would do two things: first, make it smaller and second use a contrasting timber, something dark brown perhaps. This would make the final piece look quite special and the owner will then have a piece that will sit on the mantle rather than in the pantry with sugar in it.

Sturdee
11th January 2013, 08:44 AM
I like finials and think your pot could do with one but I would do two things: first, make it smaller and second use a contrasting timber, something dark brown perhaps.

Brendan,

You put into words what I instinctively felt when I looked at them.

Peter.

gus3049
11th January 2013, 08:46 AM
First of all, Gordon, I reckon you've done a beautiful job on this. As Russell said, Form is spot on, good use of the natural features of the timber and well finished.

Now, my thoughts on finials. I think Cindy Drozda has a lot to answer for when it comes to finials. She is well recognised as one of the masters of finial work and does exquisite work. Her finials are beautifully designed, well proportioned and crisp. What she has also done is lead the way in what I would call over-sized finials but has done it in a way that works. Not an easy thing to do because norms suggest that finials should be a lot smaller than what she makes them. She has rewritten the design book when it comes to finials and this is why she is up there with the best.

Now the problem is that her designs are creeping into other people's work and if you don't get it spot on then it can look horrible. I'm not suggesting that yours are quite in the 'horrible' category, in fact they are better than a lot I have seen but I do think they are too big; both of them.

I like finials and think your pot could do with one but I would do two things: first, make it smaller and second use a contrasting timber, something dark brown perhaps. This would make the final piece look quite special and the owner will then have a piece that will sit on the mantle rather than in the pantry with sugar in it.

Hi Brendan,

I take all of your points. Cindy really does lead where us Angels (:rolleyes:) fear to tread.

The smaller of the two is about the smallest I have yet done in relation to the size of the piece they sit on and I sometimes feel I would prefer them taller if anything!!!!

If the shape is right....... but I am still experimenting. I don't want to slavishly copy her designs but find something that works for me. I can but keep trying. I haven't got any really dark wood at the mo but will try some stained box to see how that looks.

I hope people don't keep sugar in yew pots!!! They could start seeing visions before they leave prematurely!!:o