PDA

View Full Version : way to hot -

chuck1
8th January 2013, 02:38 PM
to hot to turn today hope everyone is safe!

Pat
8th January 2013, 03:24 PM
Didn't even think about playing today, even though the shed is about 5° lower than the ambient . . . it's still too annoyingly hot.

wheelinround
8th January 2013, 03:33 PM
Spent 1/2hr in workshop this morning measuring and then been in doors since AC on and this room is just starting to feel extra warm as the heat off next doors Tarp and brick wall cop afternoon sun.. Blinds closed etc.

Keep safe drink plenty water.

turnerted
8th January 2013, 04:00 PM
Just knocked off an hour ago. Got to 39C in my workshop. about 3 deg. cooler than outside .Interestingly it is only 28 deg in the house .No aircon on . I closed all the doors and windows at about 9am . There are some advantages in an old house with double brick and high ceilings .
Ted

crowie
8th January 2013, 04:45 PM
The Lower Blue Mountains have been spared the worst of today's heat with cloud cover for most of the day.
The hot westerlies only really bit as there's a break in the clouds.
I got a good 4 hours in the under the house shed making parts for 3 Model T Ford Utes.
Cheers, crowie

Bruce White
8th January 2013, 05:05 PM
My sister lost her house in the Tasmanian/ Dunnally fires - hard to believe that the temperatures over there ( and the rest of the east for that matter ) are so high. We expect it over here at this time of the year. Just went out to the shed and checked the weather station. 45.6c outside, 40.1c in the shed.

hughie
8th January 2013, 05:57 PM
the up side is if your doing some varnishing it'll come up with a great shine in the heat.

Bruce White
8th January 2013, 06:00 PM
Hughie, the problem is getting it from the can to the wood before it dries!

Jonzjob
8th January 2013, 07:14 PM
Good luck t all yu guys down there. I've just been reading about all that hot stuff you have. It ws like that here in 2003, before I moved over, and somewhere near 15,000 people died. Not from the fires, just from the heat!

These daze the French are s**t scared of the heat. lots of fires here too in the summer and we normally have 2 Grumand Tracker water bombers based at Carcassonne from about May.

Not wet here at the mo, but dammed cold with a bitter wind! About 2ēC

ian thorn
8th January 2013, 07:57 PM
sorry to hear about your sis Bruce we hope theres no deaths over there stay safe all of you

Ian

Pat
8th January 2013, 08:08 PM
Hughie, I thought about spraying finish, but the 40knot westerlies convinced me that that would be a folly.

Christos
8th January 2013, 08:35 PM
I had a great day in the garage before I had to come to work.

dai sensei
8th January 2013, 09:34 PM
May not have been too hot here today, quite a nice cool breeze blowing, but I did get myself into hot water :-. Spilt a mug of boiling water from my tea mug over my legs :C. I was so worried about what was on my inside thigh caught in my knee braces, trying to rapidly get them off, failed to notice my socks were soaked :doh:, wasn't good. Off to bathtub under running water, then Aloe Vera gel, but I started going into shock. Called ambos and off to hospital, 1st degree burn top of right foot, left foot similar but worse.

Sitting in couch with feet up for now, no wood turning fo me for a few days, nor much else.

Jonzjob
8th January 2013, 09:43 PM
JC and his 12 mates Neil ! That was a hell of a thing to do. Hope that you are better soon mate!

:oStill, I suppose it got you out of having to run in the Melborne marathon :C

wheelinround
8th January 2013, 09:57 PM
May not have been too hot here today, quite a nice cool breeze blowing, but I did get myself into hot water :-. Spilt a mug of boiling water from my tea mug over my legs :C. I was so worried about what was on my inside thigh caught in my knee braces trying to rapidly get them off, failed to notice my socks were soaked :doh:, wasn't good. Off to bathtub under running water, the Aloe Vera gel, but I started going into shock. Called ambos and off to hospital, 1st degree burn top of right foot, left foot similar but worse.

Sitting in couch with feet up for now, no wood turning fo me fo a few days, nor much else.

Gee's Neil I have heard of tea and soaking feet in it but its supposed to be cold I think. Get well soon, R&R and have time to think about all you can do when back at it.

:o Flooding memories of boiling water out of an urn while on tour over my left foot I was down at Thredbo (this was a Christmas tour 1985ish) a passenger was a nurse she rushed to my aid, I hobbled down to the icey river yes it was still cold as. I sat there for 1/2 hour she did her best and wrapped it and coated it with some cream. I drove the remainder of the days tour around to Perisher and back. I finished the tour 4 days remaining she dressing the foot twice daily. two days driving without a left shoe on changing gears.:roll:

Sorry to sa Niel if you think thi will get you out of Blue Mnts an Newcastle trip forget it your put your foot in it.

Christos
8th January 2013, 11:04 PM
..... 1st degree burn top of right foot, left foot similar but worse..

There is a song about two front teeth but I like the other version about my two left feet. Now what song would best describe scorch feet.

Hope you feel better.

Allan at Wallan
9th January 2013, 09:03 AM
My sister lost her house in the Tasmanian/ Dunnally fires - hard to believe that the temperatures over there ( and the rest of the east for that matter ) are so high. We expect it over here at this time of the year. Just went out to the shed and checked the weather station. 45.6c outside, 40.1c in the shed.

Hope your sister is coping ok after such a catastrophe. It was a
terrible mess at Dunnally.

With so many fires around N.S.W., Vic. and Tas. at the moment
I just hope everyone takes fire precautions/prevention seriously
and remain safe.

Allan

Jonzjob
9th January 2013, 09:52 AM
I remember when I weny over your way in 1988 to visit my sis and b-in-law at Bullangrook, near Gisborne (spelling) we went out one day for b-i-l to buy a fire pump. It wasn't very big and I asked him if he reckoned to put a fire out with something that small. He said that it was to pump water over the house to try to keep it from catching fire! I was quite shocked to think of it that way!!!

Good luck to all of you down there.

About 5 years back we had a couple of August fires a couple of K east of us. The first was in a NW wind which was taking it away, but the second there was a SE wind and we got loads of smoke and ash and it was starting to head our way. It was scary even then, so I can imagine what it is like for those in the path of those you have down there. I got some superb video of the Trackers and the Dash 8 water bombers that were attacking it.

Good luck guys and girls.

Allan at Wallan
9th January 2013, 07:23 PM
I mentioned yesterday of the terrible fires and the
need for everyone to adopt safe fire precautions etc.

Today I was coming home from a funeral and turned the
radio on, only to find there was a fire at Wallan. It was
probably only one kilometre from our home. At that stage
I was about twenty kilometres away.

I arrived home, immediately turned the cars around in the
driveway ready for a quick getaway if needed and informed
two of my nearby neighbours.

Fortunately they placed twenty fire fighting units into the
area quite promptly and contained the fire. The wind was
a gentle breeze and the fire was headed our way. I hate
to think of the outcome had it been a windy day.

Many thanks to the volunteer fire brigade/s that attended.

Allan

Bruce White
9th January 2013, 07:31 PM
Glad you and yours are safe Allan. I am sure you did not need the old heart to be pumping that fast on your way home.

BobL
9th January 2013, 07:34 PM
May not have been too hot here today, quite a nice cool breeze blowing, but I did get myself into hot water :-. Spilt a mug of boiling water from my tea mug over my legs :C. . .

Blimey - that's one way to get out of the shed I guess. Hope you feel better soon.

dr4g0nfly
10th January 2013, 06:48 AM
I've been reading this thread but did not full appreciate what was happening in Aus beyond your posts - until today. We had a big spread on the National BBC news about the problems you folks are suffering. The excessive heat, the bush fires &c..

Please Guy's & Gal's, keep safe.