PDA

View Full Version : 45' gouge....

hughie
8th January 2013, 07:11 PM
Not sure I would doing it to one of mine

woodturning chisels. BCWA 45 degree spindle | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/woodturning-chisels-BCWA-45-degree-spindle-/321051954333?pt=UK_Collectable_ToolsHasdware_RL&hash=item4ac0300c9d)

ian thorn
8th January 2013, 07:59 PM
I wouldnt be buying it ether

Ian

artme
8th January 2013, 08:01 PM
:?:?:?

Mobyturns
8th January 2013, 08:12 PM
Not sure I would doing it to one of mine

woodturning chisels. BCWA 45 degree spindle | eBay

Looks more like the result of something nasty or a fit of rage?

The "the chisels are described as used, but my husband died last year and most of them are as new." comment is a worry though. :o

RETIRED
8th January 2013, 09:08 PM
A Henry Taylor too! :cry4:

chuck1
9th January 2013, 09:53 PM
trying to think what you would use it for?????? back scratcher for the turner who has everything!

Jonzjob
10th January 2013, 01:10 AM
Might be useful on very dodgy wood so that you can stand well out of the way :zap::blowup::? :C

Tim the Timber Turner
10th January 2013, 09:20 AM
A Henry Taylor too! :cry4:

It bent??

HT must be using softer steel now.

Could it be a new tool designed for inside out, upside down, left handed hollowing cuts:?

Cheers

Tim:)

ticklingmedusa
10th January 2013, 02:15 PM
Operating on the same principle as a bent gun barrel in cartoons that shoots around a corner ,only it's used for turning corners :doh:

Paul39
11th January 2013, 02:34 PM
Looking at the enlarged photo of the 45 deg. gouge, I think it would be useful to clean up the inside of a vessel with a small hole in the top. You would get a shearing cut like a bowl gouge rolled over on its side.

I would expect it would be tiring to use as the tool would want to twist.

Bending tools is not difficult. Put in a vise and heat the place where you want it to bend to a dull red and gently pull on the handle. Let cool in place.

I have bent wrenches to remove carburetors with bad acess to the nuts.

Big A
11th January 2013, 03:32 PM
On my 'puter, that (45') looks like the symbol for a foot (12 inches). My first reaction was that that is one big gouge :), (but probably just a medium one for 's work). The photos show that it is a 45 degree bend in the tool. I can fill a bucket with catches pretty damm quickly with a normal gouge - using that one I would be even quicker.

Just tried - can do the 450 thing.

Cheers,
"A".