PDA

View Full Version : What will I miss out on ??

Phily
9th January 2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks to the guys that responded with advice to my "Wanted: Wood Lathe" notice.

Following their advice and further research, it would appear that Stubby and Vicmarc are the stand out machines with the Cougar 400 coming in third as the best value "new" option. Problem is, the price of the Stubby and Vicmarcs (larger units) are well beyond my ability to justify as a hobbyist and second hand units are as rare as rocking horse poo.

The Cougar certainly presents as a great machine and well capable of handling my requirements so I am seriously considering this path. My question is, what will I be missing out on ? Should I hang on in hope of the rocking horse getting over its bout of constipation, or should I invest now so I can start playing with my new toy ??

Advice, as always, greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Pat
9th January 2013, 02:00 PM
Have a look at Woodfast (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_5).

I own a M910 and still love it 3 years after purchase.

The older Woodfast's turn up on ebay from time to time, some at a reasonable price.

wheelinround
9th January 2013, 02:03 PM
also check out gumtree.com.au There was a stash of 2nd hand Vicmarcs up about 3 months ago I think I counted 7 in all and they were not that old still exy tho.

Phily
9th January 2013, 02:23 PM
Granted I could wait for units to turn up, but what are the benefits of an older Vicmarc/Woodfast etc over a new machine like the Couger ? I'm really struggling to see the advantages.
Cheers

brendan stemp
9th January 2013, 08:12 PM
I reckon the Cougar is a great lathe. It aint quite the size of the others mentioned, that's the main thing you'll be missing out on but you adapt to what you've got and if you need anything bigger for a bigger project then see if you can hop on someone else's.

Phily
9th January 2013, 09:58 PM
Thanks Brendan, I'm very much forming the same view. noting that the Trend guys know of someone turning plates up to 90 cm which is far bigger than any of my projects to date ! Cheers

mat_au
9th January 2013, 10:34 PM
i think there are 2 woodfast on ebay atm i was looking yesterday as i am in the maket to upgrade myself

have a look at pops shed the maxi lathe are very decent - this is the part im leaning towards atm unless something better comes along as i was the var speed

Phily
10th January 2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on them :) I'm also interested in the New Laguna's. Has anyone had any experience with them ?

chuck1
10th January 2013, 09:00 PM
my lathes are second hand old Hyco and a Leady short bed, the good thing about getting them like this is all the accessories that came with them.

hughie
10th January 2013, 10:35 PM
Granted I could wait for units to turn up, but what are the benefits of an older Vicmarc/Woodfast etc over a new machine like the Couger ? I'm really struggling to see the advantages.

All lathes have there limitations and having worked out what you intend to turn. Then it becomes a case of what your prepared to give up or fore go. Any lathe will let turn a master piece, some just make you work harder to do so.

If budget is serious consideration then I would definitely go for a quality second hand machine as the cost of the lathe is going to be your smallest cost in the long run. So what you save up front can be put good use on accessories later and manyof the second hand lathes come with a lot of accessories, chucks, tool rests, various gouges etc.

Brett Hammond
11th January 2013, 08:29 AM
Phily

I have a Tanner lathe for sale. It maybe what you are looking for. PM me and I will send photos and other details.

Brett

Phily
19th January 2013, 06:09 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice - which I heeded! Ended up with an older but little used Vicmarc 300 EVS, which as suggested, came with accessories and therefore made it price competitive. At 400kg it will also be able to handle my larger unbalanced pieces with ease! Cheers :U NB, Sorry Brett, I only just saw your post

Mobyturns
20th January 2013, 06:45 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice - which I heeded! Ended up with an older but little used Vicmarc 300 EVS, which as suggested, came with accessories and therefore made it price competitive. At 400kg it will also be able to handle my larger unbalanced pieces with ease! Cheers :U NB, Sorry Brett, I only just saw your post

Score! :cool:

hughie
20th January 2013, 07:23 AM

Excellent! :2tsup: