PDA

View Full Version : Planning to buy a Nova DVR XP

Trent The Thief
10th January 2013, 10:33 PM
Hi All,

I'm planning to pick up a Nova DVR XP this month. I'm curious how many of you have bolted it to a flat-topped bench and how many are using the cast iron legs. What are the disadvantages of either mount? I'm planning to do bowls and will probably be getting the outboard tool rest.

I turn pens, spindles, bowls, boxes, and I would like to start doing hollow vessels.

I'd sure appreciate your input. This is the last lathe I'm ever going to buy and I don't want to be end up with something that will give me headaches.

Thanks in advance :-)

hughie
10th January 2013, 10:42 PM
I for one, never bolt any lathe to a flat top bench, its just too hard to get the chips etc away from the lathe. When I build or buy a lathe stand this one of the main considerations I look for.

I see a lot of turners bolt the lathe to what amounts to is a chest of drawers, such design can be very hard to make solid and robust, pretty yes but not very practical.

I dont know what additional cost for the cast legs are,but you can make a good lathe stand out of wood for generally much less than the cost of cast iron.

Trent The Thief
11th January 2013, 08:26 AM
I for one, never bolt any lathe to a flat top bench, its just too hard to get the chips etc away from the lathe. When I build or buy a lathe stand this one of the main considerations I look for.

/snipz

I have an oval cutout beneath my midi lathe that helps considerably. It'd work even better if the motor wasn't right under the ways beneath the spindle :~. It's not uncommon that I end up with a pack of shavings from the motor right up to the workpiece.

I was just browsing around and saw that the DVR 2024 is fairly close in price to the DVR XP once you add in the Nova stand and remote doodad. It's a sale price on Amazon, but it might be good to wait for it to show up again. Especially with the free shipping.

I've been selling off other stationary power tools and hand power tools to make room and collect money to pay for this. All that I'm keeping are the bandsaw, scroll saw, drill press, and grinder. SWMBO is happy at the great amount of reclaimed cellar space, not to mention the marked decrease in noise ;-)

Sawdust Maker
11th January 2013, 10:47 AM
I've the cast iron stand - solid as a rock

my only complaint is that the leg under the motor is right where I want to put my left foot, I'm working on a solution which should make me happy in this regard

the newer DVR seems to have a larger swing over bed capability

mick59wests
11th January 2013, 04:56 PM
I have mine bolted on a flat top semi-custom made 'bench'. Works fine for me, although I don't get too fussy about getting all the sawdust removed around the bolts.

cheers

Mick

Colin62
11th January 2013, 09:03 PM

my only complaint is that the leg under the motor is right where I want to put my left foot, I'm working on a solution which should make me happy in this regard

Don't get your foot amputated!

Sawdust Maker
11th January 2013, 09:44 PM

Hmm

hadn't thought of that! :p

RETIRED
11th January 2013, 09:55 PM
Hmm

hadn't thought of that! :pI can arrange that.:wink:

Trent The Thief
11th January 2013, 10:27 PM

Hmm

That left leg could become a flashy new prostheses that includes a lathe! You'd be able to turn everywhere you go!

chuck1
12th January 2013, 08:53 AM
ive got metal stands, I'd rather besser bricks with rio rod in them filled with concrete and a select hardwood board to get to final height; then melamine board to go between top of hardwood and wall. it will have to wait till we own our own place!

hughie
12th January 2013, 09:05 AM
Hmm

Jeez Nick even blind Freddy can see that's the way to go. :U

RETIRED
12th January 2013, 09:11 AM
ive got metal stands, I'd rather besser bricks with rio rod in them filled with concrete and a select hardwood board to get to final height; then melamine board to go between top of hardwood and wall. it will have to wait till we own our own place!A John Ewart student?:wink:

Trent The Thief
12th January 2013, 11:54 AM

I sure wish there was a Nova dealer that had one to touch. I'd like to check that stance in front of a machine. Our Woodcraft chain is a dealer, but their stores seldom have anything Jets on display. I'm close to New York City, we have every sort of store selling anything you can name except for a range of woodworking machines. There's one store with machinery about 20 miles and USD$15 in tunnel tolls away, but it only has has a big pile of Jets and a lonely, dusty, USD$4000 Powermatic.

Jets might be nice machines, but I'm not interested in them. They're like ants at a picnic. There are so many brands, but everyone gets a Jet lathe to display.

ticklingmedusa
12th January 2013, 01:15 PM
Trent,
you might try your local AAW group. A member may have one "on the hoof" that you could get a look at.
They may also be a source if you are considering a used machine.
Symposia are a great way to see tools and machinery.
My DVR XP is bench mounted, because I tend to work very close and in a seated position. A hole in the bench surface for shavings & chips is a good call in most cases but not for me.
I have a large shop vac nearby for fast cleanups and since I am not a production turner that setup keeps the pile of shavings manageable.
If you do go with a shop built stand don't forget
to provide space & capacity for lots of ballast.

Paul39
12th January 2013, 01:45 PM
I sure wish there was a Nova dealer that had one to touch. I'd like to check that stance in front of a machine. Our Woodcraft chain is a dealer, but their stores seldom have anything Jets on display. I'm close to New York City, we have every sort of store selling anything you can name except for a range of woodworking machines. There's one store with machinery about 20 miles and USD$15 in tunnel tolls away, but it only has has a big pile of Jets and a lonely, dusty, USD$4000 Powermatic.

If the Powermatic would suit you and you have $2500 in cash. Go talk to them and ask what is the absolute least in cash you will take. It would be best if you could load it and go right then.

Ask the people at Woodcraft if there is someone they have sold a Nova to who would let you stand in front of it. Most turners are pretty accommodating and friendly.

You might check Woodcraft to see if anyone locally does workshops using Novas.

Check Craigslist for someone selling a Nova, you can look even if you don't buy.

Trent The Thief
13th January 2013, 12:37 AM
Trent,
you might try your local AAW group. A member may have one "on the hoof" that you could get a look at.

Good idea. I hadn't thought of them since they're an hour's drive away and I can't do 8pm meetings. I can ping them and see if there's a volunteer ;-)

If the Powermatic would suit you and you have $2500 in cash. Go talk to them and ask what is the absolute least in cash you will take. It would be best if you could load it and go right then.

Ask the people at Woodcraft if there is someone they have sold a Nova to who would let you stand in front of it. Most turners are pretty accommodating and friendly.

You might check Woodcraft to see if anyone locally does workshops using Novas.

Check Craigslist for someone selling a Nova, you can look even if you don't buy.

A Powermatic isn't exactly what I need, which is something that I can manhandle into the basement on my own. But that is a good idea if I can ever find a shop with Novas.

The Woodcraft is close to two hours away. New Jersey is a wasteland for woodworkers. I don't mind a bit of driving, but driving over to Brooklyn for decent handtools at Tools for Woodworking costs me more than having the shipped.

I wish I could have a do over on my decision to move to NJ after getting out of the service. :doh:

ticklingmedusa
13th January 2013, 12:04 PM
Here is a reconditioned DVR for 1699.99
@ Teknatool US
You could spend the savings on the shipping.

RECONDITIONED NOVA DVR XP Wood Turning Lathe - Teknatool USA Inc (http://www.novatoolsusa.com/RECONDITIONED-NOVA-DVR-XP-Wood-Turning-Lathe-55175-R.htm)

ian thorn
13th January 2013, 05:11 PM
hi Trent the 2 clubs close to ours have several Dvrs all on cast stands and i havent heard of any problems some have a tray on the base with 20ltre containers of water for balist

Cheers Ian

Phil Hansen
13th January 2013, 11:14 PM
I made my own stand for my DVR.
The first one had angled feet and got in the way of my left foot. Had space for ballast in the bottom.
249555 249556
Mark 2 is a lot better. Storage drawers and again space for ballast in the bottom.
No need for fancy footwork any more.
Lathe is raised from the top so shavings fall down below the bed. Easy to clean.

Phil

Sawdust Maker
14th January 2013, 08:29 AM
Phil
Only one problem with that setup - everything's too clean, neat and tidy.:rolleyes:

Phil Hansen
15th January 2013, 12:46 AM
Phil
Only one problem with that setup - everything's too clean, neat and tidy.:rolleyes:

Thought I better clean up before the pics. Otherwise you might think me an untidy slob.:D
Phil

Trent The Thief
15th January 2013, 03:09 AM
Here is a reconditioned DVR for 1699.99
@ Teknatool US
You could spend the savings on the shipping.

RECONDITIONED NOVA DVR XP Wood Turning Lathe - Teknatool USA Inc (http://www.novatoolsusa.com/RECONDITIONED-NOVA-DVR-XP-Wood-Turning-Lathe-55175-R.htm)

:-) That's the XP I was planning to get. But after adding the cast iron legs and the remote, I'm looking at ~ USD$2200, plus shipping. Amazon had the DVR 2024 last week for USD$2600 with free shipping. For a couple hundred more I could get the lathe quicker and have the accessories I was planning on ordering anyway.

Amazon is out of stock today, but I'm betting it'll be back soon. I can wait a bit to see.

Trent The Thief
15th January 2013, 03:13 AM
hi Trent the 2 clubs close to ours have several Dvrs all on cast stands and i havent heard of any problems some have a tray on the base with 20ltre containers of water for balist

Cheers Ian

Thanks, Ian. I hadn't thought of using water. That sure beats lugging sacks of gravel into the cellar!

smiife
16th January 2013, 08:01 PM
hi trent ,
i would go with the legs if i were you and if you want do some hollowing
keep it away from the wall,i have just reorganised my shed/workshop
and now have access to ''other side'':o hollowing is a whole lot easier now:2tsup:
instead of stretching across the lathe you can just walk around and hey presto
easy as!!!!!!!!!,some of the legs are a bit flimsy but you can toughen them up
by renforcing with ply or something similar,hope this helps
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Trent The Thief
16th January 2013, 09:16 PM
hi trent ,
i would go with the legs if i were you and if you want do some hollowing
keep it away from the wall,i have just reorganised my shed/workshop
and now have access to ''other side'':o hollowing is a whole lot easier now:2tsup:
instead of stretching across the lathe you can just walk around and hey presto
easy as!!!!!!!!!,some of the legs are a bit flimsy but you can toughen them up
by renforcing with ply or something similar,hope this helps
cheers smiife:2tsup:

I was figuring on using some sort of shelf/box across the bottom to hold ballast. I was going to use sacks of gravel, but think the suggestion about containers of water is even better.

Yesterday I saw a really cool set of leg lifts for lathes. You set it so the feet lie on the corners and when you want to move the machine, you step on a wide bar and it lifts the end up onto wheels. The whole thing sits flat on the floor when not raised for movement. I'd like to be able to get to the other side if for nothing else than to do a simple clean sweep on occasion.