PDA

View Full Version : Love what is inside those rough lumps!

Bruce White
11th January 2013, 05:57 PM
Turned another piece of that York(?) Gum burl today. The photos don't do it justice - the colour is sensational, just like a sunset. And I have a pile more - you bewdy!249084249085249086249087249088

The bloke I got them from was going to use them for firewood. Platter is 30cm diameter. Can't wait to do the big ones.

mat_au
11th January 2013, 08:33 PM
yes i love burls turned my first one yesterday and on my they turn out wonderful

chuck1
11th January 2013, 11:40 PM
very nice, if you get sick of turning them let me know!

HazzaB
12th January 2013, 01:05 AM
Hey Bruce,

Very nice job:2tsup:, York Gum Burl is now officially my mostest favourite Timber

I'm closer than Chuck if you get sick of them :rolleyes:
I could even drive out there and pick them up:;

HazzaB

Willy Nelson
12th January 2013, 01:13 AM
Hey Bruce,

Very nice job:2tsup:, York Gum Burl is now officially my mostest favourite Timber

I'm closer than Chuck if you get sick of them :rolleyes:
I could even drive out there and pick them up:;

HazzaB

Yeah, good point there Hazza. As I am closer again than you, maybe I should go. Hint Hint
York Gum Burl has been my favourite for a while too, more than yours Hazza
Cheers

Willy
Jarrahland

HazzaB
12th January 2013, 01:23 AM
Hey Willy,

Only by about 15 minutes, maybe we could share fuel costs and do a deal :B

HazzaB

comgreserv
12th January 2013, 03:14 AM
Sorry lads but Bruce already knows where I live :)

artme
12th January 2013, 06:41 AM
Yep. Timber never ceases to amaze!

Nice platter!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
12th January 2013, 07:16 AM
He was going to burn that! - Philistine.

Bruce White
12th January 2013, 10:08 AM
Sorry Folks, I think I can manage to force myself to turn it all. The burl would have been about 1 metre high, 90cm deep and 70 cm wide. It had been cut into about 10 slices and stacked out in the weather against a fence. I had to kill the white ants and knock out some rot from a few pieces. A couple of the small bits are still destined for firewood - just too far gone. The first platter I turned was going to be bigger but I kept losing bits as I turned - it was pretty rotten around the edges.

On another note, I can't believe the difference in colour/grain between the two platters. If I had not stacked them up as they had been cut, I would not believe they were from the same burl. Is that common Willy?

RETIRED
12th January 2013, 10:43 AM
Sorry Folks, I think I can manage to force myself to turn it allVery Unchristian attitude. :roflmao:

Bruce White
12th January 2013, 10:56 AM
No , that is me being concerned for my fellow turners welfare. I could not sleep at night if I put them at risk by supplying dodgy, ant eaten, rotten wood that could have pieces come off. Deep down I guess I am just a caring soul.:roll:

Willy Nelson
13th January 2013, 11:37 AM
He was going to burn that! - Philistine.

Some years ago, my wife was talking to a lady whose husband was oversea and she complaining about the timber she was burning be hard to split and lumpy. Turns out it was all Jarrah burl, 1 ton of it. I offered to swap trailers loads of firewood for it. I turned a few pieces for her and she realises now the crime she committed. She is now hooked on burl and finding it for me.
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

Bruce White
13th January 2013, 12:20 PM
Some years ago, my wife was talking to a lady whose husband was oversea and she complaining about the timber she was burning be hard to split and lumpy. Turns out it was all Jarrah burl, 1 ton of it. I offered to swap trailers loads of firewood for it. I turned a few pieces for her and she realises now the crime she committed. She is now hooked on burl and finding it for me.
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

Oh you lucky man Willy. Someone else actively looking for raw materials for you!