PDA

View Full Version : So - I'm in trouble!

dr4g0nfly
12th January 2013, 07:21 AM
The Saturday before Christmas I developed a cough - nasty hack, turns out I'd managed to acquire Bronchitis - probably from the spider do-do and other nasties in the dust in the loft I was insulating.

Anyway, SWMBO banned me from doing just about anything, especially time in the workshop - been pulling my hair out these last 3 weeks. But today lots better (the doc said 3 weeks, spot on) so out I go - Yes, turning time!

Then I hear it - the gentle scream of a chainsaw...

Around the corner in the local park is a tree surgeon, sorting out a couple of Maples. Well a chat and coffees for the team and I'm now the proud owner of some lumps of Maple trunk - I'm over the moon, eh... someone isn't!

wheelinround
12th January 2013, 07:55 AM
You mean to say you sat there feeding the crew and not one photo of the tree or the score shame on you shame i say

Glad your over the smokers cough and back into form.:2tsup:

chuck1
12th January 2013, 08:38 AM
well done! nothing a nice gesture/bribe can do! thats my opening like " who is open to bribery/corruption" and depending who is working sexual favors it's a good ice breaker! so how long till you turn some?

dr4g0nfly
12th January 2013, 08:50 AM
You mean to say you sat there feeding the crew and not one photo of the tree or the score shame on you shame i say

In my defence I'd like to say the logs arrived just before nightfall (here in the UK), so I did not really think about piccies, something to eat was more the order of the day!

hughie
12th January 2013, 09:08 AM
In my defence I'd like to say the logs arrived just before nightfall (here in the UK), so I did not really think about piccies, something to eat was more the order of the day!

:U life's all about priorities .

Ross
12th January 2013, 10:37 AM

If you lived down here drinking takes priority over eating.

Drillit
12th January 2013, 10:44 AM
Well blow me down - dr4gonfly you have broken universal rule 101 - thou shalt not pay for or offer bribes for wood.
I think the only way out of this is to free ship a supply to selected forum members. Ha Ha. Good one. Drillit.

tea lady
12th January 2013, 12:19 PM
No dust from green wood turning though. :D

Paul39
12th January 2013, 12:46 PM
No dust from green wood turning though. :D

I made a mushroom from a newly discarded Christmas Tree end. Lots of bulls eyes from the branches. It wasn't dusty, but I, the lights, the tools, the lathe, and everything nearby, were sticky with pine pitch.

artme
12th January 2013, 09:30 PM
I got some free Blackwood. Beat that!!!:D:D:D

tea lady
12th January 2013, 11:33 PM
I made a mushroom from a newly discarded Christmas Tree end. Lots of bulls eyes from the branches. It wasn't dusty, but I, the lights, the tools, the lathe, and everything nearby, were sticky with pine pitch.:rofl:When I started reading that list I thought you'd left the decorations on the tree. :D

dr4g0nfly
13th January 2013, 06:44 AM
Thanks you guy's and Gals,

I'm still not 100%, probably 95% but I managed the whole day having fun.

Cut up a Brown Oak log before it splits on me; Started a Maple (different maple) textured & Coloured bowl;

Then found a nice big log of Holly, turned a thin walled natural form and and part turned a fairly large vase (about 10" x 10") from it and set them to dry .

Lastly pulled a small part turned (now dry) cherry vase of the shelf, finished turning it inside and out and set about adding colour to it. That will set overnight and I'll then start oiling it.

So, that's today, roll on tomorrow.

Well blow me down - dr4gonfly you have broken universal rule 101 - thou shalt not pay for or offer bribes for wood.
I think the only way out of this is to free ship a supply to selected forum members. Ha Ha. Good one. Drillit.

Drillit,

send me your address and how much of it you want, I'll put it in the post (airmail to get it to you fresh) COD!

wheelinround
14th January 2013, 08:01 AM
I see camera is still out of action

dr4g0nfly
14th January 2013, 08:19 AM
Funny enough, I did take a shot earlier, Lets see...

The 3 in the front are the Maple, the long branch (apples) is field Maple.

to the left is the remains of a flowering cherry bole (also the crown to the right)

Below the Cherry Crown is a Spalted Beech stump (I cut up a bit of it today and started a small hollow-form)

Peeking through is another Holly log.

Hidden behind are 3 small Elm trunks (about as big as they get before the beetles find them) a small Yew log, a small brown oak log (the other one is cut up and in the workshop), Cut Maple & Sycamore on the wooden shelves.

The cut log on the rack is Robinia (Pseudo Acacia).

Eh, this is outside the front door, as the wood store is full as well - which is why SWMBO is a little less than pleased with me!

wheelinround
15th January 2013, 09:59 AM
see wasn't so hard was it nice stash

Yes some woman just do not appreciate good wood

Ed Reiss
15th January 2013, 02:20 PM
Good haul Dragonfly!

Just don't let Ray get a hold of it...it might grow legs:o:D

Dalboy
16th January 2013, 06:51 AM
Eh, this is outside the front door, as the wood store is full as well - which is why SWMBO is a little less than pleased with me!

I can always make her happy by getting you to drop it all into Cirencester for me:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Great Haul I am soooo jealous :D:D:D

wheelinround
16th January 2013, 09:18 AM
Good haul Dragonfly!

Just don't let Ray get a hold of it...it might grow legs:o:D

Ed if I went that far to snatch wood you'd be on the visitation list for sure. Then again I'd have to go see all the relations it'd take years before I'd return to Australia :;

Ed Reiss
16th January 2013, 01:25 PM
Ray...you and Sue will always find the front door open to you guys ~ just bring a lot of camphor laurel in case I decide to get back into turning:U

wheelinround
16th January 2013, 01:42 PM
Ray...you and Sue will always find the front door open to you guys ~ just bring a lot of camphor laurel in case I decide to get back into turning:U

The sojourn has been a while Ed I can start a small parcel on it way tomorrow for pens an such not want to sound pushy by any means.

We have also missed the photogrphy

Ed Reiss
17th January 2013, 01:55 PM
Hold on to the blanks Ray...not yet ready to have wood fly off and wreak havoc with this handsome face :no: :rolleyes: :D

Might go to Photography to post some there.

Dragonfly ~ apologies for the blatant hi-jack!!!

dr4g0nfly
19th January 2013, 05:09 AM
Dragonfly ~ apologies for the blatant hi-jack!!!

Ed, if there is one thing I've learnt, it's that we guys dive down rabbit holes, shoot off on tangents and talk all around the shop but still manage to come back to the point in question - to finish off.

So it's not a hi-jack, it's just normal banter, more protracted because it's within a forum but how we communicate. Always good to see that.