PDA

View Full Version : Hot Bread Knives

turnerted
12th January 2013, 05:11 PM
G'day
I bought one of these blades from Jim Carrol at a WWW show about 3 years ago and had it sitting around in the shed while I thought about how I could use it .All the ones I have seen, have used a frame which looks like it was cut out of a flat bit of wood with a band saw then shaped with a spindle moulder . Eventually the penny dropped and I rearlised all I had to do was cut out the blank on the band saw, glue on a couple of cheeks to the handle and turn on two centres . The back part of the frame is turned first, then it is offset 10mm and the handle turned . The end is tidyied up by rounding over on a linisher .They are made out of offcuts of 'forest red" and cyprus flooring.
Hope you like.
Ted

dr4g0nfly
12th January 2013, 05:36 PM
Stunning idea and production.

We don't get any of the good project bits over here!

I've never even heard of 'Hot Bread Knives' but as I know how squishy it can be to cut, I can fully appreciate the idea.

hughie
12th January 2013, 07:08 PM
Interesting Ted not something you see everyday, well executed tho'

tea lady
12th January 2013, 07:34 PM
Ooooh! Very good idea. :cool:

dai sensei
12th January 2013, 08:42 PM
Great job :2tsup:

Looks like they will do a nice thick bit of toast, and as usual, now I'm thinking about some :rolleyes:

chuck1
12th January 2013, 08:46 PM
great work and great idea! -

enelef
12th January 2013, 08:53 PM
Nice bit of old school.

I wonder if we could re-purpose old bandsaw blades to be used for the blade in this?
Clean them up, file and trim the ends and hey presto. hmm how many bread knives would that add up to? :U

artme
12th January 2013, 09:27 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::)

TTIT
12th January 2013, 11:06 PM
Ahem!!! What about us molly-dukers then :no: - not very PC of you :;:U

Nice idea :2tsup:

dai sensei
13th January 2013, 11:39 AM
Ahem!!! What about us molly-dukers then :no: - not very PC of you :;:U

Undo the screws and flip the blade :rolleyes:

TTIT
13th January 2013, 03:55 PM
:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

turnerted
16th January 2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Maybe bandsaw blade would work . The blade is 2tpi, about 3/8" but it has no set on it . I suppose you would have to heat the ends to detemper it to drill the holes.It is also said to be teflon coated. That may mean it was just sprayed with a preasure pac can of teflon.
I might have to do some experimenting.
Ted