PDA

View Full Version : Stem vase - first one

bassmansimon
19th January 2013, 03:23 PM
I have a chunk of Redgum Burl that I'm slowly chopping into little bits and pieces for various jobs. The other day I was in a mood for turning something other than a pen or a bowl, so I threw this on the lathe and turned it.

I'm not sure how you are actually supposed to turn such a job, but I loaded it between centres to turn the base down small enough so that it would fit in my 50mm nova chuck. Then held it by the base in the chuck, with a (modified) live centre holding the other side in place, to turn it to shape.

Then used a jacobs chuck and 19mm spade bit to drill out the hole to hold a test tube (about 18.5mm test tube) for fresh flowers.
Sanded to 600 grit just like I would start on a pen. A quick spray with estapol to keep the natural edge in place, but it was a bit tacky on the side of the burl even after a day of settling (perhaps I put it on too thick?). Sanded that back, and then rubbed over with a few coats of Scandanavian oil.

Comments and critique very welcome.

artme
19th January 2013, 04:34 PM
Nice chunk of RRG!

To me the piece looks like a short club (for getting a short wife ), or a pestel.

I think it need some refinement in terms of removing bulk from athe whole item, particularly
towards the bottom.

I would also remove more from the hole.

tea lady
19th January 2013, 08:18 PM
I like it!:cool: Maybe you could finesse the form a little. :shrug: Perhaps a sharper angle or line where the direction of the form changes on the foot. But I like the chunkiness.:U

bassmansimon
19th January 2013, 08:31 PM
Yes to me it was a bit too baseball bat shaped once it was done. I was limited due to the size of my chuck and jaws. This was as large as I could make the base and still fit in the chuck.

Regarding the size of the hole, it was done intentionally that size to fit the test-tube insert for fresh flowers.

I'll be looking forward to making more because I have a large amount of the same timber. The slab I have is approximately 70mm thick.

RETIRED
19th January 2013, 09:16 PM
Drill your hole first then use the hole to centre.

Nothing looks worse than a hole that is off centre. Drilling it first gets it in the centre every time.

bassmansimon
20th January 2013, 08:11 AM
Thanks but then how do I hold it after drilling?

RETIRED
20th January 2013, 09:00 AM
Bring a cone centre up into the hole.

bassmansimon
20th January 2013, 09:02 AM
thanks.

will try this project again soon.

sjm
20th January 2013, 09:16 AM
I was limited due to the size of my chuck and jaws. This was as large as I could make the base and still fit in the chuck.

I don't understand this. You need a 50mm tenon on the end of the piece, but the foot size can be much larger or smaller, just part it off close to the jaws, and then you have a spare pre-sized tenon as a glue-on faceplate for later on.

RETIRED
20th January 2013, 09:32 AM
Making of the Long Neck Vase - Woodturning - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L_DrHAdwpE) At about the 3.25 mark is what I mean.

bassmansimon
20th January 2013, 10:04 AM
I don't understand this. You need a 50mm tenon on the end of the piece, but the foot size can be much larger or smaller, just part it off close to the jaws, and then you have a spare pre-sized tenon as a glue-on faceplate for later on.

DERRR :doh: of course that makes so much more sense! can't believe i didn't think of that when turning it!! I turned the whole base down to 50mm to hold it in the chuck. Thanks for the advice - I must have had a bit of a mental blank when doing it.

Making of the Long Neck Vase - Woodturning - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L_DrHAdwpE) At about the 3.25 mark is what I mean.

Thanks , that makes a lot of sense. The way I turned it was to hold it in the chuck at the base, with the start of the hole drilled, and holding in place with a spade bit in a jacob's chuck. I did that because I only have one live centre, and it didn't fit because the rest of the natural edge was getting in the way. But yes, I get your point and it would work well on a vase with a flat top, or if I had a skinnier live centre. I'll probably be making another version of this without a natural edge, so it will lend itself to this trick much better.

joe greiner
20th January 2013, 01:56 PM
I've attacked similar problems with 1/2" holes (capacity of Jacobs chuck) by using a smooth round bar in a second chuck. The second chuck was only because I had multiple holes to drill and center. For large holes, to mate with the tube, you could use a larger round bar with a reduced end to fit the chuck. Chamfer the end to assist entry, and use some lube to reduce squealing, like a dead center.

If the bar is aluminum or brass, you could even turn the reduced end on a wood lathe.

Cheers,
Joe