PDA

View Full Version : Mango bowl

powderpost
19th January 2013, 11:32 PM
I recently had to replace some stumps under the house. I needed some packing blocks to put under the jacks, and I remembered some largish old bowl blanks I had cut out some 15 years ago, they will do the job. Ok, job finished, and the blanks were covered in crud and dirt, but what were they. Three were taken to the shed and the first one hit the lathe. Geeez, it is mango, looks ok too.
So this is the first one, two more to follow. Looked good, but a bit plain, :D, just had to add a bit of veneer banding, couldn't help it could I?
Measures 270mm diameter and 50mm deep, probably better described as a platter?
Jim250403250404

dr4g0nfly
20th January 2013, 04:58 AM
So you remembered that you had these blanks and were going to use them as packing blocks under the house.

But you've turned them - eh...

... what's holding up the house?

Mango wood looks great by-the-way, another wood we don't get over here

hughie
20th January 2013, 07:30 AM
Jim, The banding really adds to the platter and makes it stand out, cant fault it.:2tsup: The Mango has some great figure to boot look forward to the rest.

chuck1
20th January 2013, 08:02 AM
very nice! that banding is amazing! I guess you make it?! I must try get some mango to turn, have never tried it!

Christos
20th January 2013, 08:53 AM
As already mention in previous posts amazing and with the banding really does highlight the grain.

sjm
20th January 2013, 09:19 AM
I like the idea of inlaying a veneer. I might just have to try that myself :U

Sawdust Maker
20th January 2013, 09:45 AM
Looked a bit plain :doh:

just couldn't help yourself ... Nice platter the mango is great and I agree the banding does add to its glory :2tsup:

powderpost
20th January 2013, 10:17 AM
very nice! that banding is amazing! I guess you make it?
No Chuck, the banding on this one was bought. Nearly out of my own banding, will have to make some more.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, the photography leaves a bit to be desired, but the turning isn't too shoddy.

Jim

Drillit
20th January 2013, 10:23 AM
Jim,
They are terrific - pleasure to view such good work. Drillit.

wheelinround
20th January 2013, 11:55 AM
Ah Jim how can a man go and ruin a nice bit of wood by placing a commercial everyday bit of banding on it shame on you for not having enough of your own to do so.:p

Stop crawling around under the house where it I bet cooler and get in the shed and make some more banding of your own and finish the other two bowls just so we can all drool more.

Love the look works all round.:2tsup:

Old Croc
20th January 2013, 02:28 PM
Hohum, didn't think I would see the day that you would turn firewood, with all the timber you have, but the work is excelent as usual,
rgds,
Crocy.

TTIT
20th January 2013, 03:04 PM
Very nice (almost glue-free) platter Jim :2tsup::2tsup:

Good idea to use the banding to distract the eye from the Mango mould :;:U

Mobyturns
20th January 2013, 08:50 PM
Very nice (almost glue-free) platter Jim :2tsup::2tsup:

Good idea to use the banding to distract the eye from the Mango mould :;:U

Don't the Hawiaian's call thet Black Heart Mango? Great work PP!