PDA

View Full Version : Woodturners and their workshops

Pages : [1] 2

nz_carver
20th January 2013, 06:00 PM
Yes I know there is a show use your shed but as we know woodturners have there workshop setup for turning and cabinetmakers have there workshops setup for cabinetmaking.

so it seems that the more time I spend seeing others people's setups for turning
the more my mind thinks about the setup it have and the use of space,

I have sorted the storage of my turning tools,chucks, got some nice cabinets for the walls,
in the pipeline:;

I am working on upgrading lights and power points,
I am sorting out bench space for grinders, and the layout of the lathes.
I am sorting wood storage

Now I'm just working out flooring
Pats has wood flooring with grip tape strips behind the lathe with I like
and I was thinking of doing the same sort or thing as I'd like something nice under my feet:rolleyes:

I have a contact that works in flooring and has offed me Lino for a small fee, well more of a trade
and I'm thinking that might be the go.
and stick grip tape behind the laths and bandsaw for grip under my feet?

wheelinround
20th January 2013, 06:13 PM
So Dave start the ball rolling with some photos of your changes.

Maybe we can get some ideas and comment on those changes.

Sturdee
20th January 2013, 06:34 PM
I've got the foam rubber dovetail interlocking system that you can get from Clark Rubber and also from Bunnings on the floor in the workshop with a double layer in the turning area as well as a thick anti fatigue mat in front of the lathes.

Bit overkill some might say but I like my comfort. :U

Peter.

chuck1
20th January 2013, 07:41 PM
a cheaper way instead of grip tape I used the old 80grit belts off the linisher at work and just used the red laminate glue! I could save you some belts if you want?!

nz_carver
20th January 2013, 07:51 PM
I had black none slip mats in front of the lathes and bandsaw but there a pain in the bum!
as the holes in them fill up with chips,

I'm downsizing to only one workbench

Pat
20th January 2013, 08:50 PM
Very comfortable flooring. I certainly notice the difference between my shed and the club's shed, even with the anti fatigue matting. I was going to take a pic of my turning area today, but I got over that:;

The Floor is finished in a two part sealant, yes it gets a tad slippery with fine dust, but with the dusty and air filter on, this problem is all but eliminated.

wheelinround
20th January 2013, 08:57 PM
Very comfortable flooring. I certainly notice the difference between my shed and the club's shed, even with the anti fatigue matting. I was going to take a pic of my turning area today, but I got over that:;

The Floor is finished in a two part sealant, yes it gets a tad slippery with fine dust, but with the dusty and air filter on, this problem is all but eliminated.

Cause you couldn't see the floor for shaving and dust and dogs:q

rodent
20th January 2013, 09:26 PM
I had black none slip mats in front of the lathes and bandsaw but there a pain in the bum!
as the holes in them fill up with chips,

Instant fire starting pellets . My mats are the solid type on holes . Well now looking at them they have som long slots in them ,but thats all right we more them and clean the work shop all the time . Here it's in between cleaning . This is the old set up , new pictures will be forthcoming .

Jonzjob
21st January 2013, 09:22 AM
Flooring? Mine is concrete. In the winter I wear a pair of clogs, leather uppers and thick rubber soles. I have worn them for more years than I care to think of, including when I was an IBM hardware service eng wearing a suit. In the summer, it's sandals and I have not had any problems with either discomfort or broken toes.

I have never had any problems in the 18 years, either here or in England. Just comfortable footware is all I need. Never get clogged up, easy to change and a quick vac gets rid of all the c r a p !!

Pas de problem :cool: :cool: :cool:

wheelinround
21st January 2013, 10:00 AM
Oh flooring cover mines carpet the wheels on the stool were slowly grinding concrete to dust (poor concrete). Then again my sheds not just set up for turning never been one to do just one thing.

Keeps the cold coming through in winter a quick sweep or go over with the dusty and all clean again.

A little hard moving wheeled things about but only the drill press and grinder station as they have 2" dia wheels.

Its been a while since you were here Dave and the shelving Pat and Fletty built is ideal up and over the lathe boxes above for easy access and peg board behind which I still do not mount anything on. This stops things hitting the plaster wall, gives good light reflection and if I made some tool holders up a place to store tools such as calipers and Longworth chucks when they get made.

tea lady
21st January 2013, 10:22 AM
I can't show you mine cos its completely opposite to 's safety video instructions. :C

A Duke
21st January 2013, 12:05 PM
I can't show you mine cos its completely opposite to 's safety video instructions. :CCome, come, T L we all have our reason for being, even if it's to be a bad example or a warning to others.:wink::wink:
Regards

BobL
21st January 2013, 01:17 PM
. . . . . I have never had any problems in the 18 years, . . . ..

Except for when I was actually metal working (eg welding, grinding) I was a big thong (flip flop) wearer in the shed for more than 40 years. A few years back I was preparing to do some metal work and wearing thongs I dragged out a 2" diam, 2 m long galv steel water pipe from the back of the shed and placed it on the edge of an outdoor table. I was just about to go and put some boots on when the pipe rolled off the table and landed fair and square across a big toe.

After a few hundred expletives and hopping around the back yard, it swelled up like something out of a Popeye cartoon and I could not wear shoes for about a month. It was broken in 4 places and there was nothing that could really be done about it except rest.

Now I wear steel capped boots for everything, even woodwork.

Sawdust Maker
21st January 2013, 03:53 PM
Hey rodent

whats that biggish chisel second from the left on the top row? :D

issatree
21st January 2013, 05:16 PM
Hi Rodent,
Great to see that Duk Board. Beats all those other ideas.
Wheelin wood have a bit of trouble, but for the rest of us, that is the way to go.

Had a mate, good Turner, stuffed now, because he wood not use anything on the Cement, & in Sand Shoes, talking '90's early 2000's, & he has real trouble walking at all now.

I'm for the Duk Board.

wheelinround
21st January 2013, 06:58 PM
Hey rodent

whats that biggish chisel second from the left on the top row? :D

Best parting tool mines above my head on the shelf have a slightly different thinner one in the tool box

wheelinround
21st January 2013, 07:00 PM
Hi Rodent,
Great to see that Duk Board. Beats all those other ideas.
Wheelin wood have a bit of trouble, but for the rest of us, that is the way to go.

Had a mate, good Turner, stuffed now, because he wood not use anything on the Cement, & in Sand Shoes, talking '90's early 2000's, & he has real trouble walking at all now.

I'm for the Duk Board.

Don't need a Duk Board my set up gets me round the workshop can't put wheels on a Duk Board.:q

Pat
21st January 2013, 07:18 PM
As you can see, the pups do run the sheds, they sometimes allow me to play. the first real pic, is an overview of the turning area, about a meter of clear space between the lathe and bench. the second is the chisel rack and sharpening area, the third is the Yellow Peril, the tools on magnets and I have a range of drives, centres, Jacobs chuck etc sitting in purpose drilled holes in the framework (obscured) and the back bench . . . flat repository for accumulated carp:U

If anyone is interested, I could ask MBGitW to get the camera out to take some decent pics, I cannot take pics to save myself:;

Sawdust Maker
21st January 2013, 07:18 PM
Don't need a Duk Board my set up gets me round the workshop can't put wheels on a Duk Board.:q

why not?

hughie
21st January 2013, 07:44 PM
Mine is painted concrete and or 50-60mm chips etc, wear thongs come the warm weather and crocs come the cold.

wheelinround
21st January 2013, 09:23 PM
why not?

Why bother just use the kids skateboard

wheelinround
21st January 2013, 09:27 PM
As you can see, the pups do run the sheds, they sometimes allow me to play. the first real pic, is an overview of the turning area, about a meter of clear space between the lathe and bench. the second is the chisel rack and sharpening area, the third is the Yellow Peril, the tools on magnets and I have a range of drives, centres, Jacobs chuck etc sitting in purpose drilled holes in the framework (obscured) and the back bench . . . flat repository for accumulated carp:U

If anyone is interested, I could ask MBGitW to get the camera out to take some decent pics, I cannot take pics to save myself:;

Well March isn't far away Pat and this time we will be calling in so fair warning time to clean up it'll take that long :q

Pat
21st January 2013, 09:34 PM
Well March isn't far away Pat and this time we will be calling in so fair warning time to clean up it'll take that long :q

I resemble that last remark :U

I've heard that one before, bring gifts of bowl blanks and food:;

PS The stuffed GMC drill is still here if you want the chuck.

Paul39
22nd January 2013, 12:21 PM
My floor is Carolina red clay covered with chips. For those of you with concrete floors, locally we can buy a rubber mat for horse stalls:

Rubber Horse Stall Mat, 4 ft. x 6 ft. - 2219003 | Tractor Supply Company (http://www.tractorsupply.com/rubber-matting/rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft--2219003)

If you spend a long time on concrete at least wear good walking shoes. Thongs, zoris, etc do have cushion but I have had an accursed skew roll off the bench and fall point side down more than once.

Christos
22nd January 2013, 05:56 PM
In this wood working hobby we often find that some people are more then just turning. I have a mixed work space and it seems to always overlap. The consistent factor are the shavings; weather from turning a piece or just planning it square.

Then there is the dust from sanding which I sometimes do outside the garage. Just a little hard to move the lathe outside to sand a piece. :)

Jonzjob
22nd January 2013, 09:25 PM
My floor is Carolina red clay covered with chips. For those of you with concrete floors, locally we can buy a rubber mat for horse stalls:

Rubber Horse Stall Mat, 4 ft. x 6 ft. - 2219003 | Tractor Supply Company (http://www.tractorsupply.com/rubber-matting/rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft--2219003)

If you spend a long time on concrete at least wear good walking shoes. Thongs, zoris, etc do have cushion but I have had an accursed skew roll off the bench and fall point side down more than once.

One good point for flip-flops then. It will stop your skew from getting damaged hitting that nasty hard floor and save you valuable turning time resharpening it :oo:

red_budgie
22nd January 2013, 10:01 PM
The floor of my man cave is concrete painted with Berger Jet Dry paving paint with the True Grip additive added so it is not slippery.

Being in Queensland, there are no problems with cold feet in winter :U

wheelinround
22nd January 2013, 10:47 PM
The floor of my man cave is concrete painted with Berger Jet Dry paving paint with the True Grip additive added so it is not slippery.

Being in Queensland, there are no problems with cold feet in winter :U

Thats true but you need a pair of flippers and snorkle on odd occasions.

Love he neat look bright and clean I thought mine was compact

Jonzjob
22nd January 2013, 11:15 PM
That's not clean, it's NEW :oo: :oo: :oo: :C

red_budgie
23rd January 2013, 06:54 PM
It IS pretty new, that's why it's so clean :U That and the fact that at the opposite end to it is a sewing room for Mrs Budgie and I'm under strict (and I mean strict) instructions not to let any dust get into her fabric stores!

It was all built in an area that used to be an earth bank supporting the house, which collapsed during the rain deluge we had at the start of last year. I had to dig it all out and shore up the back wall of the house, so thought I may as well make a new workshop out of the space!

Jonzjob
23rd January 2013, 07:39 PM
A quick tip as to how to keep the dust out of SWMBOs way. Use the French method :2tsup: :2tsup: and draw a line where the dust has to stop. With me so far?

Remember the Russian Chernobyl atomic plant meltdown? Well some of the carp from it was blowing this way. The French governement said that it couldn't cross the border and according to them it didn't. So just draw yer line and tell it that it can't cross :cool: :cool:

Job done. Smooth ehhhh!

Failing that I really look forward to seeing just how you manage it :oo: :oo:

red_budgie
23rd January 2013, 09:49 PM
John, I like your idea, because any dust on her fabric and I'll have my own radioactive meltdown on my hands :oo:

As you can see from this picture of Mrs Budgies "woman cave", it's messier than my workshop so she hasn't noticed the dust yet.

One thing I have realised is that women are the same as men when it comes to buying quantities of tools. I mean, FOUR sewing machines?? Come on! :roll:

A Duke
23rd January 2013, 10:14 PM
Just the same as a table saw, a band saw, a scroll saw and a jig saw are 4 saws.:wink:
My other half has a sewing machine, an over locker, a quilter and a hand cranked contraption for sewing leather and canvas. I seem to recognise some of their kin in your photo.
Regards

Jonzjob
24th January 2013, 01:17 AM
She may well be ambidextrous with a pair for weekdaze and the others for Sundaze?:? :?

Paul39
24th January 2013, 05:28 AM
One thing I have realised is that women are the same as men when it comes to buying quantities of tools. I mean, FOUR sewing machines?? Come on! :roll:

Which means you can have the long spindle lathe, the pen lathe, the big bowl lathe, and a metal lathe to make parts for the other lathes.

As to the dust, a partition with a close fitting door will do. If you have access to the outside on your side an exhaust fan blowing out any time you are working will keep stuff from drifting to the fabric.

gus3049
24th January 2013, 05:53 AM
John, I like your idea, because any dust on her fabric and I'll have my own radioactive meltdown on my hands :oo:

As you can see from this picture of Mrs Budgies "woman cave", it's messier than my workshop so she hasn't noticed the dust yet.

I of course, being an ignorant male, can see that there is in fact one sewing machine, what looks like an embroidery machine and two overlockers.

No different at all then from having all the machines we need. Just don't admit to ignorance, the women will just laugh at us.

Sawdust Maker
24th January 2013, 09:06 AM
I of course, being an ignorant male, can see that there is in fact one sewing machine, what looks like an embroidery machine and two overlockers. (one three thread and one four thread overlocker)[?]{maybe}

No different at all then from having all the machines we need. Just don't admit to ignorance, the women will just laugh at us.

I work on the basis that the boss can have whatever sewing equipment she wants, makes it easier for me :U
In fact I seem to recall that her sewing machine cost more than my lathe :2tsup:

PS: does she have a ironing press? if not probably a lot of brownie points if one miraculously turned up for her birthday or whatever :wink:

Jonzjob
24th January 2013, 09:42 AM
I put a reply on here earlier on but it seems to have gone AWOL?

I had said that there were 4 machines that sew, so that makes tham sewing machines. What's the problem? :? :? :?

wheelinround
24th January 2013, 10:42 AM

I had said that there were 4 machines that sew, so that makes tham sewing machines. What's the problem? :? :? :?

Its when your asked to fix the so and sew machine and you work on the wrong one :doh:

I like you guys LOML is into sewing 3 nor 4 machines one old treadle, over locker and 2 sewing, spinning 2 wheels and 2 in my workshop one being built the other resto (reminds me promised to complete this year), Looms x 3 one floor 2 table one two shaft one 4 shaft, 2 6" square looms (have to make 2 8"). Silk sceening painting frames on my workshop to be sanded and completed. I won't go into art materials.

No room in my shed for metal lathe I wish :U

Nova 3000, Jet mini, a miniature lathe never used. Rose Engine in bits. BS, Metal BS, Pedestal drill, grinder station, tool boxes/cabinets x 4. Lets face it tools of all sorts are a must if you need to adjust or repair correct tooling is a must in any workshop. I hate using shifters:(( unless absolutely can't do anything else but.

Pat
24th January 2013, 04:51 PM
I hate using shifters:(( unless absolutely can't do anything else but.

That's why I picked up the 80mm Ratchet ring spanner . . . you never know when you need to tighten a M52 nut:U

Christos
24th January 2013, 05:08 PM
We have gone way off topic.

Then I am thinking all related to a workshop. :hmmm:

wheelinround
24th January 2013, 05:13 PM
Pat That's why I picked up the 80mm Ratchet ring spanner . . . you never know when you need to tighten a M52 nut:U

You just like the thought of big nuts if you should ever use that baby you'll do more damage to that shoulder.

We have gone way off topic.

Then I am thinking all related to a workshop. :hmmm:

I don't agree as many have pointed out we just don't turn and to turn one needs tools of all sorts its just the depth of involvement that varies

red_budgie
24th January 2013, 06:13 PM

My argument exactly! But she informs me that technically two are sewing machines, the other two are overlockers.

Well, I asked her why she had two of each - apparently she only uses one of each type, the others are newer ones that are "spares" for when the in-use machines break down. The 2nd overlocker was recently bought as it was on a good special, and too good to miss - which I understand because that's how I buy things too :U

Jonzjob
24th January 2013, 07:32 PM
So she spent money on a machine that she doesn't use so as to save money :? :? ??

We normally reserve that kind of logique for blonde ladies from Essex :C :C

"I don't agree as many have pointed out we just don't turn and to turn one needs tools of all sorts its just the depth of involvement that varies"

Wheelie, I do, but I agree that a lot more goes on aswell. :;

Sawdust Maker
24th January 2013, 09:08 PM
So she spent money on a machine that she doesn't use so as to save money :? :? ??

"I don't agree as many have pointed out we just don't turn and to turn one needs tools of all sorts its just the depth of involvement that varies"

But you've got a chisel!

Jonzjob
24th January 2013, 10:06 PM
You callin me a 'chisler'? If so then I resemble that remark and demand satisfaction :o

Handbags at 20 paces ! OK :cool:

Chislet indeed :o

mach70
25th January 2013, 12:26 AM
My argument exactly! But she informs me that technically two are sewing machines, the other two are overlockers.

Well, I asked her why she had two of each - apparently she only uses one of each type, the others are newer ones that are "spares" for when the in-use machines break down. The 2nd overlocker was recently bought as it was on a good special, and too good to miss - which I understand because that's how I buy things too :U

small penny ante stuff those 4.

I use to run and maintain embroidery machines, those big industrial types.
We had a single head, 4 head, 8 head and 12 head machines.
Kept you busy if you had them all going at once.

My choice of shed footwear are Japanese safety thongs, and real quick fancy footwork if you drop something :roflmao2: oh and :fingerscrossed:

Jonzjob
25th January 2013, 01:02 AM
I take it that they are the ones with the steel capped toe nails?:D

mach70
25th January 2013, 01:11 AM
I take it that they are the ones with the steel capped toe nails?:D

Not quite as old fashioned as that.
I'm talking state of the art star wars style invisible forcefield stuff.

Paul39
25th January 2013, 04:50 AM
Re: late posts.

"Save your watch, your boots are ruined."

Said while holding ones arm with wristwatch over ones head.

Referring to the amount of male bovine excrement accumulating in the room.

red_budgie
25th January 2013, 01:38 PM

I think it is more the case that she'll save money when her current machine breaks down, because she won't have to pay full price for a replacement one.

But she is blonde :roll:

Sawdust Maker
25th January 2013, 01:55 PM
You callin me a 'chisler'? If so then I resemble that remark and demand satisfaction :o

Handbags at 20 paces ! OK :cool:

Chislet indeed :o

Ok handbags at 20 paces at dawn - nominate your second

Chislet(n): person who collects chisels; person whom, according to his SWMBO, has too many chisels (this could be any number greater than one)

tea lady
25th January 2013, 02:11 PM
the tools on magnets Had tools on magnets at work for a while. Just the ones in use making a particular thing. Even o0ver just a few days the tools got magnetized and stuck too the tool rest when in use, making it hard to slide the tools easily along the rest. Not good when you are trying to do fine work.

Pat
25th January 2013, 03:29 PM
TL, the tools on magnets are the spanner for Woodfast faceplates, Nova spanner and SNII T Handle key. I placed them there so someone cannot put them in 15 different locations and temporarily loose them, even though I have multiples of the Keys and Woodfast Spanner. My parting tool (1.6mm) is also on a magnet, I tend not to try to slide that on a tools rest:U

My turning tools are safely on the bench . . .

Sawdust Maker
25th January 2013, 04:47 PM

playing hide and seek amongst the curlies ...

wheelinround
25th January 2013, 04:48 PM
playing hide and seek amongst the curlies ...

More like the dogs burying them like bones

nz_carver
25th January 2013, 05:03 PM
I'd like to that the ones who have helped thanks Pat

I'd allso like to thank the ones who have taken over my thread its clear to see who spends time in there workshop and who sits in frount of there computer just like a bunch of little school kids

I'd just like to say it took me 45 min to read all the posts and there's 45 min of my life I will never get back

Sawdust Maker
25th January 2013, 05:25 PM
but did you have a chuckle?

and some of us cannot get into the shed during school holidays - I daren't take my eyes off the youngest for any length of time. Last time I did he ended up with a number of stitches (over 30) in his forehead - scar to make Harry Patter proud

wheelinround
25th January 2013, 05:34 PM
Yep not having my usual stool to work from has made my time in the shed ARPIA Not to mention the heat from mid day on. Neighbours on holidays so I am inclined to give them some piece.

Thanks for responding to my questions Dave.:2tsup:

It would be nice to see what you have decided on in setting up your work area again. Maybe we can learn from you.

Jonzjob
25th January 2013, 05:44 PM
At the mo I am spending more time in front of my Mac. It's better here than it is trying to pick up tools in a sub zeroš workshop. It doesn't do a lot of good for arthritic hands and I don't turn wearing gloves.

Now I have a variable speed Record CL1 I don't have to look for it very ofter but before that there was the call of "where's that ******* spanner. It's the one for the motor to change speed..

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Ringspanner.jpg

The frequently used tools, live tail stock pieces, etc. are located in holes drilled in the 'A' frame whit the least used tucked behind the drill for power sanding. The drill is/was held in place with the drill clamp from my old Wolf drill powered 'lathe' (that lasted about 3 days before I decided that it was making me deaf!!!:C ) The power sander pad was on the other end of the flex drive. That's all gone and I have an Axminster Heavy Duty Flex Drive Unit. with a foot control. Almost silent and so much easier to use than a damm great drill!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/3phasecontrol1.jpg

I too hope that you had a chuckle, I mean, what's life without a smile on yer visage :D :D

tea lady
25th January 2013, 05:52 PM
That's alright then.:U

hughie
25th January 2013, 06:09 PM
Have been going through the shed and biffing stuff away and reorganizing etc plus building a mobile bench come tool holder.

nz_carver
25th January 2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks hughie it looks like you have done a lot from the last time I seen your workshop
all you need is a stubby mate and you will be set:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
25th January 2013, 07:11 PM
I too hope that you had a chuckle, I mean, what's life without a smile on yer visage :D :D

Jonz
thanks for sharing
Luv the name on that spanner - magic
that lathe stand looks a bit a bit flimsy - what sort of work do you usually do

Have been going through the shed and biffing stuff away and reorganizing etc plus building a mobile bench come tool holder.

Hughie
couple of blanks there for a rainy day
Looks a little too neat
Is that a cone drive in the middle of the last piccy?

wheelinround
25th January 2013, 08:49 PM
Hughie nice stash like the tool rack too.

John you do all your work on that little lathe ??? I take my hat off to you for Nick's benefit I will point out at the bottom each post is your site which takes you to your site Johns World of Wood (http://jonzjob.hpage.com/)

RETIRED
25th January 2013, 09:48 PM
Can't really say that our workshop is static. It is always a WIP (workshop in pandemonium) as we change it to suit the jobs we do. The only static things are Henry and Natasha. Me sometimes.:D

At present we are doing this: A conversion to a small motorhome. 251347

This is the other part of my business.

Paul39
26th January 2013, 06:18 AM
Can't really say that our workshop is static. It is always a WIP (workshop in pandemonium) as we change it to suit the jobs we do. The only static things are Henry and Natasha. Me sometimes.:D

At present we are doing this: A conversion to a small motorhome. 251347

This is the other part of my business.

I love the "Workshop In Pandemonium". Describes mine to a T.

What is the van you are converting?

Also, how about a photo of the vehicle that laid down in the road and left you stranded in the bush in a town with only one saloon.

Paul39
26th January 2013, 06:37 AM
Had tools on magnets at work for a while. Just the ones in use making a particular thing. Even o0ver just a few days the tools got magnetized and stuck too the tool rest when in use, making it hard to slide the tools easily along the rest. Not good when you are trying to do fine work.

Hmmm, I have been buying a bunch of magnetic tool bars to organize my turning tools.

When my tools pick up a fuzz of steel dust from sharpening I whack them against the work bench leg and the fuzz drops off. I don't now if this is enough to get rid of strong magnetism.

Old adage for demagnetizing: heat it, beat it, or degauss it.

A degausser can be made by taking the ends and rotor off an electric motor. Turn on and pass the tool in question slowly in and back out. Best to have a push button for a switch. If it is left on too long the magic smoke will come out.

wheelinround
26th January 2013, 09:05 AM
Looks like an ex-ambo and its good to see typical workshop practices still happening when working on customers vehicles. :o

smiife
27th January 2013, 07:48 PM
hi guys,
had a bit of a reshuffle around at xmas time also had some people around
for australia day bbq,so had to have a bit of a clean up and thought i would
take a few piccy's while the cave was clean and tidy:cool::cool: i just use my half of the
two car garage, most things are on wheels so in a couple of minutes all set up and
ready to go,
:2tsup:cheers smiife:2tsup:

tea lady
27th January 2013, 07:54 PM
Hmmm, I have been buying a bunch of magnetic tool bars to organize my turning tools.

When my tools pick up a fuzz of steel dust from sharpening I whack them against the work bench leg and the fuzz drops off. I don't now if this is enough to get rid of strong magnetism.

Old adage for demagnetizing: heat it, beat it, or degauss it.

A degausser can be made by taking the ends and rotor off an electric motor. Turn on and pass the tool in question slowly in and back out. Best to have a push button for a switch. If it is left on too long the magic smoke will come out.Hmm. Might have to try it if it annoys me next time. :D

nz_carver
27th January 2013, 08:05 PM
Smiffe in pic number 6 how have you held the plastic storage units in place?I'm thinking of something like that to hold sand paper

smiife
27th January 2013, 08:14 PM
hi nz,
they are 3 separate drawers,i think i got them at bunny's
just took the slide out key board part off [old computer desk]
took out the 3 little drawers,just left the frame and screwed the frame up
put the drawers back in and hey presto,they are ideal for
the 75mm sanding discs:cool:.
cheers smiife:2tsup:

hughie
27th January 2013, 09:18 PM
[

couple of blanks there for a rainy day
Looks a little too neat
Is that a cone drive in the middle of the last piccy?

nah just a funnel

wheelinround
28th January 2013, 07:26 AM
hi guys,
had a bit of a reshuffle around at xmas time also had some people around
for australia day bbq,so had to have a bit of a clean up and thought i would
take a few piccy's while the cave was clean and tidy:cool::cool: i just use my half of the
two car garage, most things are on wheels so in a couple of minutes all set up and
ready to go,
:2tsup:cheers smiife:2tsup:

smiffe thats a great looking set up......proves its easy to KIS the use of the old desk is brilliant.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

sjm
28th January 2013, 09:34 AM
Nice to see the fire extinguisher is handy too.

Sawdust Maker
28th January 2013, 09:40 AM
smiife

nice setup, I'd love that sort of room
great use of an old computer desk

one question - what is that dusty setup near the headstock?

NZ
you can get those type of drawers from officeworks as well

smiife
28th January 2013, 07:26 PM
smiife

nice setup, I'd love that sort of room
great use of an old computer desk

one question - what is that dusty setup near the headstock?

NZ
you can get those type of drawers from officeworks as well

hi sm,
yeah, the computer desk came in handy just screwed some wheels on
and drilled a few holes in it :U
the dusty is a carba-tec 2 hp,there are 4 outlets
2 on the lathe,one under the lathe bed and the one near the headstock i made up
a bracket and bolted and screwed it on. the other 2 run along the floor
1 for the vacumn pipe to use freehand where i want it on the lathe/bench etc
the other i saw in an industrial factory which i thought was a great idea and i
just sweep all the shavings/chips etc in it's direction and they disappear:o each
outlet has it's own close off adaptor and work independantly..
the dusty unit is located outside [cos it's too damn noisy in the shed] now it just annoys
the neighbors and not me :~:~ [only joking]
cheers smiife:2tsup:

RETIRED
28th January 2013, 07:45 PM
Looks like an ex-ambo and its good to see typical workshop practices still happening when working on customers vehicles. :oIt is an ex ambulance. Took 4 days to strip the fibreglass and wiring out to get it to a bare shell. It rose about 50mm on the springs.:D

I don't understand the last bit.:shrug:

wheelinround
29th January 2013, 09:33 AM
its good to see body protection in place stops paint being scratched, dented, broken windows.

dai sensei
29th January 2013, 11:14 AM
its good to see body protection in place stops paint being scratched, dented, broken windows.

Looks more like just where he left that bit of ply :U

RETIRED
29th January 2013, 01:20 PM
Like this?:D 251957251956

wheelinround
29th January 2013, 06:09 PM
Thats the way don't want the boss seeing what your not doing :sleep5: best draw those curtains .

Mind it become hard trying to fit the inner panels having to remove the cardboard constantly and put it back

Drillit
29th January 2013, 08:32 PM
Sturdee,
Exactly what I did - but only have one layer over the concrete and then the anti-fatigue mat forthe lathe that I got from H & F. Makes a difference to ye old legs, eh. Drillit.

I've got the foam rubber dovetail interlocking system that you can get from Clark Rubber and also from Bunnings on the floor in the workshop with a double layer in the turning area as well as a thick anti fatigue mat in front of the lathes.

Bit overkill some might say but I like my comfort. :U

Peter.

Sawdust Maker
31st January 2013, 08:07 PM
OK

Thought I'd better show my turnin' area
I tidied it up specially for the photoshoot

I even managed to have a play on the beast today :D but only after I mowed the lawn :doh:

wheelinround
31st January 2013, 08:24 PM
OK

I even managed to have a play on the beast today :D but only after I mowed the lawn :doh:

Nick Sue said she'll make cake if you come do ours...............bring the S shaped tool rest with you so I can see how well it works:U

Sawdust Maker
31st January 2013, 08:29 PM
Hah

gotta do the grass at the back tomorrow - someone hung washing out there to stop me today :rolleyes:

you can borrow the rest if you want

wheelinround
31st January 2013, 08:59 PM
Hah

gotta do the grass at the back tomorrow - someone hung washing out there to stop me today :rolleyes:

you can borrow the rest if you want

Thanks just about done with the two I have which are deep reach type for bigger bowls.

RETIRED
31st January 2013, 11:02 PM
OK

I even managed to have a play on the beast today :D but only after I mowed the lawn :doh:Shee, Photoshop got a work out today.:D

You fixed that leg problem yet?

Sawdust Maker
1st February 2013, 08:28 AM
Shee, Photoshop got a work out today.:D

You fixed that leg problem yet?

Hah. only lightened it up a tad

Yeah, I'm wearing a knee brace :p

Actually, I picked up a piece of 25mm iron which I think should do the trick - just need to drill the required holes in it. I'll probably do a wip.

RETIRED
1st February 2013, 09:50 AM
hah. Only lightened it up a tad

yeah, i'm wearing a knee brace :p

actually, i picked up a piece of 25mm iron which i think should do the trick - just need to drill the required holes in it. I'll probably do a wip.:d

Christos
1st February 2013, 05:41 PM
.....I tidied it up specially for the photoshoot.......

Is it easy to get to that work area. :U

Sawdust Maker
1st February 2013, 07:12 PM
Is it easy to get to that work area. :U

Yep real easy :rolleyes: *

* ... once the dusty, sander, bench over map drawers, drill press and off-cut box are moved out of the way :D

rodent
4th February 2013, 04:29 PM
Instant fire starting pellets . My mats are the solid type on holes . Well now looking at them they have som long slots in them ,but thats all right we more them and clean the work shop all the time . Here it's in between cleaning . This is the old set up , new pictures will be forthcoming .

New pics the new setup .
Freds (crazyskew ) setup pic no 4 .
Two fans for cooling in the heat .
freds second lathe for drilling blanks and if we have some one drop in for some turning .
And a way back photo to see where we turn when it's all put together .

* ... once the dusty, sander, bench over map drawers, drill press and off-cut box are moved out of the way :D[/QUOTE]

Paul39
5th February 2013, 03:11 AM
rodent,

A proper looking shed that looks as though work is actually done there.

Sawdust Maker
5th February 2013, 07:39 AM
Is the only swept bit where the mat is?

rodent
5th February 2013, 11:51 AM
Well if you look really closely , you will see that there is still work in the lathe .
Work in progress picks taken when it's all nice and tidy don't give a worked in look .:oo:
Next some horrible pics to come of the other side of the work shop .:doh:

Paul39
5th February 2013, 11:59 AM

People sweep a shed?

rodent
5th February 2013, 12:23 PM
People sweep a shed?
Na that's what compressed airs for .

Sawdust Maker
5th February 2013, 02:38 PM
People sweep a shed?

When the shavings get so thick that I start ducking to avoid the rafters, it's time to sweep :D