PDA

View Full Version : The second mango bowl/platter

powderpost
20th January 2013, 08:55 PM
This one was nearly the cause of withdrawal symptoms, :oo: there is not a drop of glue any where near it. Slightly larger than the other one at 300mm and 50mm deep. Finished with sanding sealer and four thin coats of lacquer. Had to use thin coats as it was raining at the time and needed to avoid "blooming" of the lacquer. Buffed up with EEE. Decided on an ogee shape to the rim, just to be a little different.

Jim

wheelinround
20th January 2013, 08:59 PM
The head fog must be clearing Jim best get back to the glue pot.

Like it much was the Ogee because you said Oh gee I stuffed the rim:;

Mobyturns
20th January 2013, 09:01 PM
This one was nearly the cause of withdrawal symptoms, :oo: there is not a drop of glue any where near it. Slightly larger than the other one at 300mm and 50mm deep. Finished with sanding sealer and four thin coats of lacquer. Had to use thin coats as it was raining at the time and needed to avoid "blooming" of the lacquer. Buffed up with EEE. Decided on an ogee shape to the rim, just to be a little different.

Jim

Nice work Jim. I took your advice on the lots of light coats with the NC lacquer in high humidity - works a treat. Found an elcheapo air brush that does the job well on my "big" bowls.

Sawdust Maker
21st January 2013, 04:12 PM
Jim

Nice platter :2tsup:

This one was nearly the cause of withdrawal symptoms, :oo: there is not a drop of glue any where near it. ...
Jim

Must have run out of glue :p

rsser
21st January 2013, 04:25 PM
Nice one Jim.

You managed to make a virtue out of Mango 'pox' :wink:

dr4g0nfly
23rd January 2013, 06:40 AM
I'm loving the colour in this, compared to your 3rd bowl. Is it due to a fungal infection or is this a natural effect of some Mango wood.

powderpost
24th January 2013, 09:11 PM
I'm loving the colour in this, compared to your 3rd bowl. Is it due to a fungal infection or is this a natural effect of some Mango wood.
Hi Dragonfly, the discolouration is caused by non destructive blue mould. Usually happens during the drying process. Interestingly the third bowl is the same age as the others, but did not have the blue mould.
Jim

artme
26th January 2013, 07:39 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

coffenup
30th January 2013, 08:51 AM
a nice bowl
regards Michael