PDA

View Full Version : Pepper grinder.

tea lady
28th January 2013, 08:51 PM
New design I am working on. Trying for modern and simple, but still related to the traditional design. This one is just Kauri Pine. The real ones will be the usual suspects. Silky Oak, Blackwood, Red Gum, and anything else interesting that turns up. :cool: I kinda like the metal knob on top. If I have the crush-grind mechanism the neck needs to be a bit fatter. :hmm: Total height is around 350mm. (Plate is just some thing I made ages ago that is there to make a pretty picture. )

Wood Nut
28th January 2013, 09:13 PM
Interesting shape. Very ladylike:)

brendan stemp
28th January 2013, 09:24 PM
Really like the design TL.

THere is a way you could keep the design and use the Crushgrind. Short spigot on the body instead of the knob, approx 36mm diam. Two holes in the knob; one 36mm to take the spigot and the second, 22mm to take the plastic insert. I think this will work but not sure what your neck measurement is.

Bob Wemm
29th January 2013, 02:38 PM
Love the shape, it is very modern.

Thanks for sharing.

Bob.

artme
29th January 2013, 04:15 PM
Good try TL!!:):)

Don't think you are there yet.

chuck1
29th January 2013, 08:19 PM
looking good!

ian thorn
29th January 2013, 08:48 PM
Never heard of Kauri pine only Kauri or Pine is this an Australian tree

Ian

Sawdust Maker
29th January 2013, 08:55 PM
Nice concept there, TL

is her head a bit small or the neck a bit large, dunno really?

China
29th January 2013, 11:14 PM
kauri pine Kauri Pine - Centennial Parklands (http://www.centennialparklands.com.au/environment/trees_and_shrubs_in_the_parklands/kauri_pine)

Bushmiller
30th January 2013, 07:39 AM
I like the design for it's simple lines, but there is an inherent design potential with pepper grinders and I think you are sailing perilously close. I am reminded of one of your posts where you offered a similar warning.

I think it is the subconscious in us all :) . I wouldn't let it worry you. Btw do you seal the inside of the grinder. I remember Dai Sensei saying he puts shellac on to prevent tainting.

Regards
Paul

ian thorn
30th January 2013, 08:45 AM
Thanks for that China

Cheers Ian

tea lady
30th January 2013, 06:26 PM
I like the design for it's simple lines, but there is an inherent design potential with pepper grinders and I think you are sailing perilously close. I am reminded of one of your posts where you offered a similar warning.

I think it is the subconscious in us all :) . I wouldn't let it worry you. Btw do you seal the inside of the grinder. I remember Dai Sensei saying he puts shellac on to prevent tainting.

Regards
PaulAlso have read that. I think Skew's imput was the answer. Pepper is an abrasive so anything you put on it the pepper will wear off and you will end up with finish as well as pepper on your food. :hmm: . :shrug: Although shellac is food safe. ( and even food? ) Dunno. Personally I wouldn't' bother with finish inside. :shrug: Just rely on the pepper burnishing it. And not make 'em out of Camphor Laurel? :C Or Yew. :doh: