PDA

View Full Version : Annoying legs

Sawdust Maker
1st February 2013, 11:37 PM
The legs on my lathe are in my humble opinion in the wrong position. Well the left set anyway.

When doing spindle work my natural (read comfortable) left foot placement is precisely where the bloomin leg meets the floor.
Just outside I feel stretched,
Just inside I feel cramped

252383 252384 252385

so what to do?

a number of solutions came to mind:

1) Give up spindle turning
2) Sell the lathe and buy one of these (http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W387)where the headstock moves along the bed
3) Sell the cast iron legs and make a purpose built lathe stand out of, say, hardwood
4) Get some plate iron and move the legs to the left
5) Get a piece of seasoned hardwood to length and bolt the bed to it and legs underneath
6) Get some lengths of square cross section steel tube and use them as rails underneath the bed

The cast iron legs are bolted to the bed at the tailstock and headstock ends using 4 bolts respectively (the extreme left bolts are bolted from underneath)
252386 252387

My thinking was to undo the bolts and move the legs to the left
ie like this doctored photo. The tailstock end would need to be raised the same amount, otherwise the lathe would list to port. :doh:
The leg moves to the left the same distance as the boltholes. it means using some strengthening (the black bar in the photo) hence options 4,5 and 6.

I decided on option 4 and concluded that I needed a piece of flat iron 400mm long x 200mm wide x 20mm thick would be ample. I rang the steel merchant and yep could do that for a price but would have to get it from one of their other stores and I'd have to pay but could do 400 x 200 x 25 cheaper as it was in stock. Ok I'll wander up. When I get there the lad couldn't find it. Computer says in stock (3.1m), nobody can find. bvgger. Boss offers me a piece of 400 x 250 x 25 at offcut price. Done deal. I also got a couple of pieces of 200 x 50 x 25 for the tailstock end. The 25 mm is probably overkill but the extra strength won't hurt.

Today I filed off the rough edges and measured out and marked ready for drilling.

252380 252381

I managed to drill all the pilot holes and a couple of the final holes before the weather set in and made me pack up. I'll need to get a couple of longer bolts before I can assemble which will happen on Monday when the bolt shop at Artarmon is open.

Trent The Thief
2nd February 2013, 01:47 AM
I can see where that is awkward. Do you think you could raise the whole lathe? Maybe 75mm or so? If you bolted short extensions to three legs and put that front left stand on a little bench you'd be able to stick your toes under it. If you bolted the leg to the bench it wouldn't slide off you your foot. Nothing fancy for the bench piece, just some pieces of stud with a chunk of flat iron plate on it.

hughie
2nd February 2013, 07:46 AM
I wouldn't worry about the over kill as you dealing here with leg offset and it would be prone to vibration and you don't want that. Looks good to me :2tsup:

nz_carver
2nd February 2013, 08:00 AM
number 7
buy a stubby :U

RETIRED
2nd February 2013, 08:16 AM
I wouldn't worry about the over kill as you dealing here with leg offset and it would be prone to vibration and you don't want that. Looks good to me :2tsup:What Hughie said.

Sawdust Maker
2nd February 2013, 08:25 AM
I can see where that is awkward. Do you think you could raise the whole lathe? Maybe 75mm or so? If you bolted short extensions to three legs and put that front left stand on a little bench you'd be able to stick your toes under it. If you bolted the leg to the bench it wouldn't slide off you your foot. Nothing fancy for the bench piece, just some pieces of stud with a chunk of flat iron plate on it.

I had been toying with something along those lines but was worried that it make the lathe a bit unsteady to decrease its latitudinal footprint.

And I didn't like the idea of my foot being under anything in case it got caught/trapped if I needed to take quick evasive action.

chuck1
2nd February 2013, 09:28 AM
I would go the easy way to fix the problem! I am very lucky to have a metal worker next door! even if we just bounce ideas around! I like your fixup my TAFE teacher approached a few lathe manufacturers about this problem as its very common with lathe stands, no one wanted to listen

wheelinround
2nd February 2013, 10:15 AM
Nick why didn't you just swap the legs so that they are internal of both ends holes will match up no height difference and foot placement problems.

edited to add photo

Sawdust Maker
2nd February 2013, 10:41 AM
number 7
buy a stubby :U

nice option but problem would be the same or maybe even more of a PITA. See borrowed piccy below!

Nick why didn't you just swap the legs so that they are internal of both ends holes will match up no height difference and foot placement problems.

Interesting idea
Could just rotate the headstock end legs 180 degrees (the legs are the same not pecular to each/either end)
I think it would create another problem. It would bring the leg inboard about 6 1/2" (probably less - the bolt holes are that far apart)
The leg would than probably get in the way for other tasks. When doing the shuffle up and down the lathe I'd trip over the bloomin thing :o

Nah I think moving it 6 1/2" outboard will make my life a lot more pleasant.

I would go the easy way to fix the problem! I am very lucky to have a metal worker next door! even if we just bounce ideas around! I like your fixup my race teacher approached a few lathe manufacturers about this problem as its very common with lathe stands, no one wanted to listen

Racing lathes - lol
Typical of a lot of manufacturers in that they design and never use so can't (or don't want to) see the issue/problem

Ross
2nd February 2013, 05:01 PM
Nick

Have you thought of using a set of legs from the Nova 1624/44. I don't have a problem with the position on mine.

Ross

ian thorn
2nd February 2013, 09:11 PM
If you turned left handed it would help:o

Ian

Sawdust Maker
4th February 2013, 10:19 AM
Nick

Have you thought of using a set of legs from the Nova 1624/44. I don't have a problem with the position on mine.

Ross

You mean these ones? No I hadn't thought of them but that would have necessitated getting rid of the cast iron and I quite like the solid feel of them (haven't seen them seperately for sale either)

If you turned left handed it would help:o

Ian

Why didn't I think of that :doh:
I do a little left handed but am not that good or comfortable doing so. Not that brilliant right handed either (just to get in before the gallery!)

Now to the progress
have drilled all the holes (plus a couple extra) and given it a lick of paint
will hopefully get it all together tomorrow when the paint is fully dry :U

Had one small mishap during the day :((
bloomin thing rolled off the bench and I heard that 'ting' noise which meant it was broke!

RETIRED
4th February 2013, 12:07 PM
have drilled all the holes (plus a couple extra) Practising?:cool:

Paul39
4th February 2013, 12:12 PM
Had one small mishap during the day :((
bloomin thing rolled off the bench and I heard that 'ting' noise which meant it was broke!

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/252726d1359932782t-annoying-legs-drill-casualty_2780.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/252726d1359932782-annoying-legs-drill-casualty_2780.jpg)

Solid carbide bit? I've never heard of a high speed steel or high carbon steel bit doing that.

I've broken off quite a few drilling.

issatree
4th February 2013, 01:06 PM
Hi SM,
Like Ian Thorn said, learn to Turn Left Handed ???
That is why us Lefties have no troubles with The Legs.

As I have said on previous Occasions, in my mind, The Lathe was made by a
Left Hander for Left Hander's.
We always stand in the centre of The Lathe.

Sawdust Maker
4th February 2013, 01:43 PM
Practising?:cool:

Yep drilling holes is sorta therapeutic :p
Nah, just thought that the overhang on the left would be a handy place to store knockout bar, Chuck key etc
I'll also bolt my sandpaper tree to it - gotta have a solid foundation for a tree

BTW Not sure I properly thanked you for your thoughts, input and discussion on this lil project, So a thousand thankyous :2tsup:

Solid carbide bit? I've never heard of a high speed steel or high carbon steel bit doing that.

I've broken off quite a few drilling.

Unlikely to be carbide, I inherited it from my old man about 22 ish years ago
looking at the broken ends there may have been a slight flaw in the metal

I'll take a piccy and post later

Pagie
4th February 2013, 05:27 PM
I copied Robo and put mine on a plywood box that I filled with bricks and scrap steel. It dosen't chase me accross the shed any more.

jimbur
4th February 2013, 06:08 PM
I copied Robo and put mine on a plywood box that I filled with bricks and scrap steel. It dosen't chase me accross the shed any more.
Jeez, that's the stuff of nightmares.:o

RETIRED
4th February 2013, 06:21 PM
Jeez, that's the stuff of nightmares.:oCopying me or being chased by a rampant lathe?

powderpost
4th February 2013, 10:12 PM
Geeeezzzz Nick, you should have bolted a hardwood plank between the lathe and bed. I got some slightly rotten 150 x 50 x 2metre old floor joists here, you could have them if you want.... :spyme:

:D

Helpful Jim

Sawdust Maker
4th February 2013, 10:53 PM
End on piccy of broke drill bit

you might notice the blackbit towards 3 o"clock

Geeeezzzz Nick, you should have bolted a hardwood plank between the lathe and bed. I got some slightly rotten 150 x 50 x 2metre old floor joists here, you could have them if you want.... :spyme:

:D

Helpful Jim

Dear Mr unHelpful Jim

Ok

sounds like a deal but... airfares about $670 and I'm not sure I could get the slightly rotten 150 x 50's (whatever they are!) (oh 6 x 2s) onto the plane as carry on!
thanks for the offer anyway :bricks:

Cheers

wheelinround
5th February 2013, 09:15 AM
Nick for starters time you sharpened some drill bits by the look of that one :o don't toss it it becomes a counter sinking bit now or flatten it off and its a squared end bit for bottoming holes.

Legs well NZ_carver has the other type and was after cast maybe you could do a swap of sorts.

Now who have you got coming round to help with the change over..............I couldn't see Sue holding the Nova up while you unbolt and replace etc

Mobyturns
5th February 2013, 09:32 AM
Dear Mr unHelpful Jim

Ok

sounds like a deal but... airfares about $670 and I'm not sure I could get the slightly rotten 150 x 50's (whatever they are!) (oh 6 x 2s) onto the plane as carry on!
thanks for the offer anyway
Cheers

I don't think he was really doing you a favour ... if they are Johnstone River Hardwood or Penda ... just be more blunt drill bits! The air fare would be well spent to have a peek into his shed though.

Paul39
5th February 2013, 11:16 AM
End on piccy of broke drill bit you might notice the black bit towards 3 o"clock

Yup, good place to start a crack.

Sawdust Maker
5th February 2013, 02:44 PM
Nick for starters time you sharpened some drill bits by the look of that one :o don't toss it it becomes a counter sinking bit now or flatten it off and its a squared end bit for bottoming holes.

Legs well NZ_carver has the other type and was after cast maybe you could do a swap of sorts.

Now who have you got coming round to help with the change over..............I couldn't see Sue holding the Nova up while you unbolt and replace etc

Nah not getting thrown out - It's a family heirloom.
And I'm happy with my solution so a swap is highly unlikely
see below for helper

... The air fare would be well spent to have a peek into his shed though.

yeah and maybe get an insight into that mystic art of segmenting.

Sawdust Maker
5th February 2013, 03:19 PM
All done and dusted then chipped

Ray - here's my helper - simple really. American Oak floor board with a T piece screwed to the bottom. It fitted between ways under the bed the perfectly.

252970 252971

The finished conversion. Headstock end. Now has a little platform to rest my cup of coffee.
There's a hole for the knockout bar, but I have to put a knob on it first.
Foot shot to show that I now have enough room to stand comfortably
tail stock end to show the finished product

252972 252976 252974 252973

While I had the legs off I took the opportunity to screw little chocks under the feet. All up I raised the lathe about 50-55 mm. The centre point is still a tad below my elbow

The only mishap with the whole exercise was that I spent about 10 minutes looking for 2 missing nuts only to realise that the nut count didn't increase along with the bolt increase :doh: ie originally 8 nuts and bolts and post conversion should have been 10 nuts and bolts but some twit neglected to get two extra nuts :doh:

I had to give it a try :D seems solid. Will have to get used to the spindle centre being some two inches higher but that will save the back on bowl turning

I used a wixy angle thingy to check the each end of the bed were coplaner. They seem to be out 0.1 of a degree. Not sure I care about that.

RETIRED
5th February 2013, 03:52 PM
Looks good. The lathe, not your feet.:D

Pat
5th February 2013, 04:32 PM
Nick, there is also room for Drives, Live Centres and spare Tool Rests.:;

Sawdust Maker
5th February 2013, 04:51 PM
Nick, there is also room for Drives, Live Centres and spare Tool Rests.:;

Nah a man's coffee is important :p

Drives, live centres etc live in the purpose built chest of drawers behind the lathe
tool rests can continue to live on the wall

no doubt all manner of crud will get placed there :C

wheelinround
5th February 2013, 04:57 PM
:o Nice and safe set up there Nick one small miss judged bump and Sue could sell the lathe "lathe for sale just remove off body"

Still it got the job done :2tsup:

Now all thats missing is one of these TeknatoolŪ Outrigger : CARBA-TEC (http://www.carbatec.com.au/teknatool-outrigger_c20540)

Nick I suggest a string line run along the beds pulled taught as possible to make sure they are true. Move the banjo out of the way headstock end tail stock as far south as possible string under both pull tight lock both down get down and check.

Trent The Thief
5th February 2013, 09:40 PM
Wow! TeknaTool ought to look into offering that plate as an option. What a great idea. I didn't quite understand what you were doing with it before. About the chocks, how tall are you? My 2024 is on the local delivery truck right now. I was wondering if maybe I should plan to assemble the stand with appropriate chocks right off the bat.

Sawdust Maker
5th February 2013, 10:06 PM
TTT
I'm just on 6'
It was relatively easy to put the original chocks on. They were/are 3 x 2 pine cut to the requisite length (if I remember correctly)
Just lift up each end and slide into position. Simply drove a screw through the screw hole in the bottom of each leg. The change this time was to add the darker bits underneath. This accomplished two things. lifted it about 20mm and now the lathe rests on 4 points which negates the likelihood of the long board rocking on ineven floors (like mine). Hope this makes sense

Trent The Thief
5th February 2013, 10:14 PM
TTT
I'm just on 6'
It was relatively easy to put the original chocks on. They were/are 3 x 2 pine cut to the requisite length (if I remember correctly)
Just lift up each end and slide into position. Simply drove a screw through the screw hole in the bottom of each leg. The change this time was to add the darker bits underneath. This accomplished two things. lifted it about 20mm and now the lathe rests on 4 points which negates the likelihood of the long board rocking on ineven floors (like mine). Hope this makes sense

It does. I'm a tad over 71", so I think I'll have some blocks with a small footprint ready to add right off the bat. I probably won't need that extra 20mm.

Thanks for doing the hard work thinking up a cool hack to the stand. I'm definitely going to file that away, just in case. I won't know if it's a problem for me until this afternoon. I'm still hunting for a NEMA6 outlet. the 2024 is shipped with a NEMA6 plug (two horizontal flats with a pin ground) in the US. I've never seen one of those before. Most of our 220vac equipment has round twist-to-lock plugs. I sure hope the local electrical supply shop has them.

Paul39
6th February 2013, 02:33 AM
I'm still hunting for a NEMA6 outlet. the 2024 is shipped with a NEMA6 plug (two horizontal flats with a pin ground) in the US. I've never seen one of those before. Most of our 220vac equipment has round twist-to-lock plugs. I sure hope the local electrical supply shop has them.

If your shop is standardized with 220 twist lock outlets, change the plug on your lathe to a 220 twist lock.

Here in North Carolina, Home Depot and Lowe's have NEMA6 plugs and outlets as well as the electric supply places.

I do mostly bowls so my lathes have the center about 4 inches higher than my elbow. I'm 6' 3" so the lathes are WAAYY up there. I use free off cuts of 6 X 6 pressure treated posts for blocks as I am in a dirt floored basement.

For the spindles I just keep the tool rest lower and use the accursed skew at a more up angle.

Trent The Thief
6th February 2013, 04:11 AM
If your shop is standardized with 220 twist lock outlets, change the plug on your lathe to a 220 twist lock.

Here in North Carolina, Home Depot and Lowe's have NEMA6 plugs and outlets as well as the electric supply places.

I do mostly bowls so my lathes have the center about 4 inches higher than my elbow. I'm 6' 3" so the lathes are WAAYY up there. I use free off cuts of 6 X 6 pressure treated posts for blocks as I am in a dirt floored basement.

For the spindles I just keep the tool rest lower and use the accursed skew at a more up angle.

:doh: I overlooked the most obvious fix. Yeah, I have several. Man, some mornings I must leave my brain on the nightstand.

I'm thinking that I'll just leave the leg as it is for a week and see how it feels. I've got a few nice blanks ready and I'm just waiting for the delivery truck, now.

Mobyturns
6th February 2013, 06:26 AM
I overlooked the most obvious fix. ......

Had you considered one of these? http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/spindle_extension.pdf

Trent The Thief
6th February 2013, 10:03 AM
:doh: I overlooked the most obvious fix. Yeah, I have several. Man, some mornings I must leave my brain on the nightstand.

I'm thinking that I'll just leave the leg as it is for a week and see how it feels. I've got a few nice blanks ready and I'm just waiting for the delivery truck, now.

Had you considered one of these? http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/spindle_extension.pdf

I think you quoted the wrong problem ;-)

Trent The Thief
6th February 2013, 10:09 AM

Holy crap, is that thing heavy! The carrier brought it right to my basement door and I horsed it down the stairs with no damage (except for my aching back). I'd thought that the plug would be a molded nema6-15, but it's a plain, old DIY style, so swapping it is going to be simple.

Christos
6th February 2013, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the update Nick, I think that's a good converse.

Mobyturns
6th February 2013, 11:01 AM
I think you quoted the wrong problem ;-)

Nope! If he is RH'd & working close to the headstock on small spindle work isn't the obvious simple answer a high quality spindle extension or two??

I have an old Woodfast 908 on a cabinet with the newer M910 EVS and love to do small spindle work all the time on it, particularly spin tops. I had the same problem but it dissapeared with a Vermec spindle extension and a Vermec ER25 Collet chuck. Combined they give you about 130 to 150mm extension Runout is practically almost negligible as evidenced by how true the spin tops run.

ps Nice DVR lathe btw, I would love one but cannot use them due to the motors proximity to my defib. :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
6th February 2013, 03:01 PM
Mobyturns

To be candid I didn't think of that :doh: I spose you can get them with a 2 morse taper in them :dunno:

Have to admit I've only thought of them as a method of moving the chuck out a bit from the headstock, something I haven't needed to do, as yet

But having a close look at the offering from Enzo I can see one major design flaw, can't see anywhere to put my coffee! :p

That reminds me haven't had a look at Enzo's site for a while - must be something I need the kids to save up for, say, fathers day.

Sturdee
6th February 2013, 03:56 PM
Mobyturns

To be candid I didn't think of that :doh: I spose you can get them with a 2 morse taper in them :dunno:

I looked at them about 3 years ago and with a MT2 drilled into them was $ 85.00 and $ 10.00 postage. So I add an extra spacer on most of my home built chucks.

Your option is the best.

Peter.

Mobyturns
6th February 2013, 07:25 PM
Mobyturns

Have to admit I've only thought of them as a method of moving the chuck out a bit from the headstock, something I haven't needed to do, as yet

But having a close look at the offering from Enzo I can see one major design flaw, can't see anywhere to put my coffee! :p

That reminds me haven't had a look at Enzo's site for a while - must be something I need the kids to save up for, say, fathers day.

Since I've had the ER Collet Chucks I really don't use the MT2 in the HS spindle. Coffee? :yucky:Don't drink the stuff 'spose I must be weird. When I mounted the Nova Mercury on a Jet mini lathe stand I just mounted it on some 240 x 35 pine but offset it so the L foot missed the support leg.

:2tsup: As a very happy user I reckon Enzo has some of the best wood turning gear ever made - Queenslander! :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
6th February 2013, 08:03 PM
Since I've had the ER Collet Chucks I really don't use the MT2 in the HS spindle. Coffee? :yucky:Don't drink the stuff 'spose I must be weird. When I mounted the Nova Mercury on a Jet mini lathe stand I just mounted it on some 240 x 35 pine but offset it so the L foot missed the support leg.

:2tsup: As a very happy user I reckon Enzo has some of the best wood turning gear ever made - Queenslander! :2tsup:

The ER collet chucks look good - my collet set sits in the morse taper with a bit of all thread through the spindle to hold it in
The ER seems to be far easier (and quicker) to setup

I use a couple of steb centres for spindle stuff - handles etc

So you must be like and drink tea? You'll need somewhere for the Wedgewood fine china cup and saucer! :p

I've been more than happy with the Enzo product that I have (That's Vermec for the uninitiated)
He's also a really likeable chap*
I'd like a couple of the unisex chucks (this one (http://www.vermec.com/id41.html)) as I like the idea of being able to use bith Vicmarc and Teknatool jaws

for a Queenslander :bricks:

Paul39
7th February 2013, 03:13 AM
I looked at them about 3 years ago and with a MT2 drilled into them was $ 85.00 and $ 10.00 postage. So I add an extra spacer on most of my home built chucks.

Your option is the best.

Peter.

Look further. See:

Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source: Morse Taper Extensions (http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=packard&Product_Code=113404&Category_Code=)

2 USED COLLIS MORSE TAPER EXTENSION SOCKETS 1-2 MT & 2-2 MTA on eBay! (http://compare.ebay.com/like/330866585761?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar)

Morse Taper fittings have to have something pushing against them or they may come out. Some are threaded for a screw to hold them in, assuming you have a hole all the way through the spindle.

Sawdust Maker
7th February 2013, 10:16 AM
Paul

Thanks

I knew there would be more out there I hadn't bothered to look
Thanks for the link to woodturners source? Somewhere else for me to spend money to help the American economy recovery :wink:

Paul39
7th February 2013, 11:13 AM
Paul

Thanks

I knew there would be more out there I hadn't bothered to look
Thanks for the link to woodturners source? Somewhere else for me to spend money to help the American economy recovery :wink:

Look locally first. 2Morse Taper stuff was common as dirt on smaller metal lathes and drill presses. Some pretty good stuff is made in China and is available here at decent prices. I would hope some shows up in AU.

Here is one source, they don't admit to price:

Lathe Tools - Morse Taper Drill Sleeves - Millers Tooling, Brisbane, Australia (http://www.millerstooling.com.au/Lathe-Tools-Morse-Taper-Drill-Sleeves.asp)

Sawdust Maker
7th February 2013, 11:25 AM
Thanks Paul
Hadn't bothered to look as not in the market for one at the moment

but
Found at McJings for those interested
here (http://www.mcjing.com.au/searchresult.aspx?keyword=morse%20taper%20sleeve)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th February 2013, 11:46 AM
I can vouch for the McJing ones. Nicely made. Well... mine is, anyway.

I would like to point out that although mine's machined true, one of my lathes suffers a degree of run-out... and using the extension in that lathe exaggerates things quite significantly.

I'm not saying it's unusable in that particular lathe but I wouldn't try to turn a pen with it! Well... not unless I'm trying for oval in the first place. :wink:

Trent The Thief
7th February 2013, 09:34 PM
You might want to browse through Yahoo or Google groups for hobbiest machinists, too. Not necessarily for someone to cut you a taper, but for a place where they shop. I found my blank #2MT arbors that way at a place called The Little Machine Shop (thelittlemachineshop.com).

There must be some DIY metalheads in Australia.

Also, don't include "wood" in your searches. That limits the hits a great deal.

I'm making a pen press on the lathe from two tapers and some delrin, and another to do final squaring.

Sawdust Maker
8th February 2013, 01:12 PM
You might want to browse through Yahoo or Google groups for hobbiest machinists, too. Not necessarily for someone to cut you a taper, but for a place where they shop. I found my blank #2MT arbors that way at a place called The Little Machine Shop (thelittlemachineshop.com).

There must be some DIY metalheads in Australia.

Also, don't include "wood" in your searches. That limits the hits a great deal.

I'm making a pen press on the lathe from two tapers and some delrin, and another to do final squaring.

Metalheads - there's even a section just for them on this forum :2tsup:

In case you're interested the centre height ended up at 46 3/4"

Trent The Thief
8th February 2013, 10:57 PM
Metalheads - there's even a section just for them on this forum :2tsup:

46 3/4"???? :o

Do you have a hat with blinking lights for walking around at night? Man, that's really high. I've got my lathe on the stand, subject to a little tweaking to get the spacing correct to mount the front skirt. It's good for me right out of the box.

This was a one man operation, too. I opened my Gorilla ladder above it, put a short pipe clamp on the top runs to act as a pulley and a long pipe clamp under the bottom rung and used a come-along to lift the whole box up off the cart high enough to lower to each after breaking off the box end and the styrofoam. It only took about an hour to get both legs on. I'll post some pictures today. I forgot the action shots while it was mid-air, though.

wheelinround
9th February 2013, 09:34 AM
Nick poor he'll have to have a forklift to raise him up high enough next time he up using you lathe.

Paul39
10th February 2013, 05:20 AM

Out of idle curiosity I measured the center height above the floor on my smaller lathe - 350mm swing.

It was 50 inches, 6 inches above the tip of my elbow with forearm parallel to the floor.

Just right for bowls.

Ross
10th February 2013, 07:46 AM
Annoying legs.

I can't resist any longer, give up wearing those shorts and wear long trousers.

Problem solved.

Ross

Sawdust Maker
10th February 2013, 09:32 AM
very droll, Ross

46 3/4" is a bit below my elbow with hand clasping opposite shoulder

powderpost
10th February 2013, 11:10 PM
very droll, Ross

46 3/4" is a bit below my elbow with hand clasping opposite shoulder
Nick, you really must stop wearing those high heel shoes. Some will begin to worry about where you hang your handbag... :oo: :D
Helpful Jim

wheelinround
11th February 2013, 02:13 PM
Measured my Nova centre this morning 45.5" it would be close enough if I was standing up.

Colin62
11th February 2013, 06:50 PM
Annoying legs.

I can't resist any longer, give up wearing those shorts and wear long trousers.

Problem solved.

Ross

Thanks for getting that out the way Ross, I've been resisting that for a while myself :)

Sawdust Maker
11th February 2013, 09:33 PM
Measured my Nova centre this morning 45.5" it would be close enough if I was standing up.

Interesting isn't it - only sounds high

wheelinround
12th February 2013, 08:54 AM
Interesting isn't it - only sounds high

Well last time you were here you said it was higher than yours.