PDA

View Full Version : Looking good then...BANG

wood hacker
2nd February 2013, 02:16 PM
Not one to waste a valuable resource I went driving around the neighbourhood this morning to see what timber had come down in last weeks storms that could be recovered and used. Most of it was too small but I did manage to snaffle some useful looking logs. They appear to be some sort of cyprus to me. These three logs are between 200 and 300mm in diameter and each is about 1m in length.

My intention is to turn most of this green and as soon as I got them home out came the chainsaw and I lopped off a bit of one log and roughed out a couple of blanks. Threw one of them on the lathe and had a crack. Up until now all the turning I've done has been on fully seasoned timber and it was a pleasent change to see nice big fat ribbons flying off, some of them a foot long or more. Being a nice light timber (and free) I thought I have a go at making a bowl thin enough to be translucent.

It all turned up ok with the walls about 1.5-2mm at the rim and about 3mm closer to the base and I was just patting myself on the back when disaster struck. I'd planned to wet sand it and then let it dry for a for a few weeks and then put some sort of finish on it. I was just finishing the first grit on the inside when I must have pressed a little too hard and BANG. Luckily I was out of the line of fire and the bits missed me. Oh well there's about 20 more bowls worth in those logs so I'm bound to get it right on at least one of them :U

cheers
WH

wheelinround
2nd February 2013, 02:27 PM
trim it down design modification no one will know the difference except us.:; Good score on the wood:2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
2nd February 2013, 06:44 PM
20 more bowls in the remaining logs, they we can call this one a practice go, to see what the problems might be.

dai sensei
2nd February 2013, 09:35 PM
Bummer about the bowl :-, but plenty more to practice on :U

wood hacker
2nd February 2013, 09:38 PM
Bummer about the bowl :-, but plenty more to practice on :U

Yep, gotta love free wood.:U

Just finished the blank from the other half ot the section I cut off this morning. Kept this one at a tame 5mm. All held together and there is some interesting colour and grain in it so I'm pretty happy. Stuffed it in a box with a whole heap of the shavings and we'll see how much it warps or cracks over the next few weeks.

mach70
3rd February 2013, 05:13 PM
Nice looking wood.

Made friends with an guy down the road (RIP) a few years ago and he used an old fridge with an incandesent 40w light bulb to season/dry out his green turnings.
According to him this worked better and quicker than putting the item back in the shavings as it keep it at a constant temp with he could control.

Cant say I have tried it.

Shawn

Yep, gotta love free wood.:U

Just finished the blank from the other half ot the section I cut off this morning. Kept this one at a tame 5mm. All held together and there is some interesting colour and grain in it so I'm pretty happy. Stuffed it in a box with a whole heap of the shavings and we'll see how much it warps or cracks over the next few weeks.

wood hacker
4th February 2013, 03:03 PM
Made friends with an guy down the road (RIP) a few years ago and he used an old fridge with an incandesent 40w light bulb to season/dry out his green turnings.
According to him this worked better and quicker than putting the item back in the shavings as it keep it at a constant temp with he could control.

Not a bad idea. My mum used to ice cakes when I was a little tacker and she had a similar setup for drying icing flowers and lace that she used to decorate the cakes. I'm sure I've got enough bits and pieces lying around to knock something up. Just need the time to do it in now :U

artme
4th February 2013, 05:46 PM
Blast!! That was a good looking piece!!!

Looks like you have plenty more to work with.

You also know what NOT to do!!:wink: