PDA

View Full Version : Experimental lidded box with beaded finial.

tea lady
5th February 2013, 08:03 PM
Further fiddling with beads in finials. Metal one this time. More fiddling required I think to get the proportians right,. But not bad I reckon for a first one. :cool:

Blackwood body, Mallee burl lid, holly finial base, Western Myall finial. Metal bead from spotlight. Only sanded to 400# and wiped with Danish oil.

wheelinround
5th February 2013, 08:14 PM
Very impressive

AM how did you do the base work?? Was it a walk into OT or carved.?

BobR
5th February 2013, 08:18 PM
Looks nice. Great work.

tea lady
5th February 2013, 08:29 PM
Very impressive

AM how did you do the base work?? Was it a walk into OT or carved.?No not OT. Don't get excited. :D Just done with a little dremel attachment. 1/4 inch sanding tube thingy.

Scott
5th February 2013, 09:42 PM
Very nice TL, your finials are coming along nicely.

powderpost
5th February 2013, 11:30 PM
T.L. I like the concept but I hope you don't mind me saying, I think the finial is too long. IMHO, it would look better without the section from the bead to the holly base. It is still a nic job.
Jim

dr4g0nfly
6th February 2013, 07:05 AM
TL, what a wonderful little box.

Like everybody else I think the finial is a little too visually heavy. If you were to use the lower section capstan and bead and thinned (just ever-so-slightly) and brought the taper in sooner on the upper tear-drop I think it would look better.

I'm so pleased my playing with inset beads to finials is having such an impression.

Mobyturns
6th February 2013, 07:29 AM
T.L. I like the concept but I hope you don't mind me saying, I think the finial is too long. IMHO, it would look better without the section from the bead to the holly base. It is still a nic job.
Jim

I agree with PP. All elements are very well turned & finished plus the bead compliments the upper portion of the finial well. Just not my cup of tea. I'm reminded of a TV quote from a chef on one of the cooking shows atm "less is more." Like cooking, showing restraint, finding a harmony with the timbers and design elements without it becomming a demonstration of technical expertise is what we all seek with the artsy turnings. Don't over power your work with to many flavours. One thing we will probably never tire of seeking that ellusive "perfect" form. Well done TL.

artme
6th February 2013, 08:21 AM
Excellent turning TL!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

As others have said the finial is longer than need be. I love the neat touch with the Holly.

wheelinround
6th February 2013, 09:10 AM
No not OT. Don't get excited. :D Just done with a little dremel attachment. 1/4 inch sanding tube thingy.

I thought you might have taken a turn down a different track TL used the indexer and a set up and some device or other set up so to do the shaping ah well hand held and rough n ready is just s good. Come up a treat.

turnerted
6th February 2013, 02:05 PM
Very nice TL
Ted

smiife
6th February 2013, 07:28 PM
hi AM,
a very nice looking box,and well turned ,there must have been a lot of time
and effort gone in to that one,
what is the size??
do you sell your pieces or is it just for fun ?
very well done anyway i think it looks great.:cool:
cheers smiife:2tsup: