PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion please.

Fred in Tassie
18th April 2005, 09:25 PM
Please note this thread has been transfered from, http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=16129

Time has come for me to replace the MC900. The ideal replacement would of course be a Vicmarc, however at this stage in time, my finances and maritial relationship will not stretch they would snap if I let my heart rule my brain.

Therefore, in the interest of self preservation and financial wellbeing, I will direct my purchase, towards ont of those cheaper alternatives.

This brings me to my question, what is the forums opinion about the MSL-3815 http://www.timbecon.com.au/details/...lathe-9890.aspx (http://www.timbecon.com.au/details/electronic-variable-speed-lathe-9890.aspx) lathe sold by both Timbecon and Carbatec.

Cheers
Fred

smidsy
18th April 2005, 10:10 PM
Hei Fred,
I looked at this lathe a month or two ago and I don't see it as being much of an improvement over the MC900.
The swing is only 75mm bigger than the MC900 and a lower speed range.
Probably a nice lathe but IMHO not enough of a step up from the MC900 for it to be worth the cost and hassle of a change over.
Cheers
Paul

rsser
19th April 2005, 07:22 AM
2 hp, outrigger and electronic speed control at $900?

If the electronics are OK I'd say it's worth the premium Paul.

smidsy
19th April 2005, 01:49 PM
Hei Ern,
That lathe is 375mm swing and 420-2100RPM as opposed to 300mm and 500-2000RPM on the MC900.
Is electronic speed control so wonderful - truth be told, in workshop environment with extremes of temp and dust/dirt I think I'd rather decent mechanical over electronic.

It's probably good value if it was an upgrade from something less than an MC900, but to me it's so similiar to the MC that I don't see it being worth the $900 to upgrade.

I may be talking crud here but it's what I think - and this forum is a great place to tell lies and laugh at each others dopey ideas so all is cool.
Cheers mate
Paul

gatiep
19th April 2005, 02:24 PM
Quote:"I may be talking crud here but it's what I think - and this forum is a great place to tell lies and laugh at each others dopey ideas so all is cool."

Hi Paul, I think your last sentence said it all mate!

However go have a closer look at the lathe, have an open mind and you will notice a number of things that give this lathe more. It is definately not a Vicmarc, but then remember it only sells for about $995. It is also not a MC900 either, therefor it doesn't sell for $379. The 2hp variable speed motor is a high performance motor and it is not integral part of the spindle like the direct drive variable speed lathes. It has a very short flat polybelt from the motor to the headstock. The head swings, although the off bed turning may be more limited by the outboard turning adaptor than what it is with a Vicmarc, it surely has more capacity than the MC lathes. I have not turned with one of these, but I have run the motor up a few times and it is reasonably smooth, looking at the price tag....yeah the motor is very smooth.

You have to bear in mind that you are comparing 2 totally different class machines. The MC lathes are good all round entry lathes, suited to home workshop use. If the owner accepts their limitations , his and the lathes, they'll go for a long walk together. However, like everybody don't buy a manual traytop ute, but some would like a flash 1 tonner crew cab, so it is with lathes. All woodturners may not have the need for Vicmarc or other lathe like MSL-3815 and will be happy with a MC lathe. Each lathe has its uses and users, yes some people are even happy with the XMC $69 lathes, because for what they require at the present moment they are sufficient. Soon however, they will outgrow and then will upgrade the lathe at a cost.

In short, what I'm saying is, " It's a matter of choices, don't stare yourself blind at other gear, especially if you have never used it". Both the lathes under discussion here definately have and deserve a spot in the sun!

rsser
19th April 2005, 03:35 PM
I found that dust clogged my MC900 speed adjuster in about 12 months.

And yeah, electronic variable speed is quick and infinitely variable with its range.

Jim Carroll
19th April 2005, 09:38 PM
So you are stuck with a lathe that does not go slow enough or fast enough.
What is it with these people when they bring out a new lathe that they dont look around at what every one is doing with the lathes.
The capacity of the lathe shows it could swing a decent lump of wood but at 400 rpm this would make the flimsy stand dance all over the floor. And for those doing finer work 2000 rpm is just the starting point ,

Save your money and get a decent lathe that will last a lifetime, probably yours and your sons.

rsser
19th April 2005, 10:04 PM
Well I agree with Jim.

(but he's feeling dyspeptic clearly at the moment and that's not his normal style in my experience).

I went from an MC 900 after a year or so to a Vicmarc 175. Huge difference; but I wouldn't have known it without that earlier experience nor without that experience would I have known that turning was really for me.

gatiep
20th April 2005, 12:08 AM
I agree with both Jim an Ern above, although neither lathes are my preference, they do have a gap to fill in the market. Not everyone is passionate enough about turning to spend $2000 plus on a lathe and find that they are a bit more passionate than what they think suits a MC style, so they go for a $1000 lathe. There really isnt much choice in the price range between about $500 and $2000 anyway. I cut my teeth on home made lathes years ago, before any of these lathes were around, owned other lathes and on migrating to Oz I picked up an MC to tide me over before getting my Vicmarc eventually. I've bought the last lathe that I'll ever buy.

We all have different requirements, specs and taste, if that wasn't so it would be a boring world ( one make and model of car ) except that we would all be chasing the same chic! OOOOOOOhhhhhhh :eek:

rsser
20th April 2005, 12:44 AM
Chasing chicks at your age Joe?

Go for it!

Just make sure you both have the same morse taper .. hehehe

smidsy
20th April 2005, 12:52 AM
Nothin wrong with chasing chicks at Joe's age - if you can afford the batteries for the electric wheel chair of course :D

Paul

Little Festo
20th April 2005, 09:51 AM
hello Fred,

Have you thought about the Nova 3000, it's a little more and I'm sure you could get a deal from Mr Carroll. They are a bit more expensive but they are are a good solid lathe, definatly worth the extra you'll have to pay.

Peter.

Kris.Parker1
20th April 2005, 11:51 AM
Ah yes, the good ole Nova 3000, what a lathe to behold. Just picked one up about two months ago - absolutely love it!

Ross
20th April 2005, 12:31 PM
Nothin wrong with chasing chicks at Joe's age - if you can afford the batteries for the electric wheel chair of course :D

Paul

............and remember what do do if you caught one.

Why don't they come with an instruction book?

Ross

rsser
20th April 2005, 02:40 PM
They do Ross, it's just written in an obscure code!

graemecarson
20th April 2005, 06:01 PM
Has anyone looked at the Jet 1442. At around $1400 it has cast iron legs/stand and looks/ sounds /feels a lot better quality than the Carbatec. I haven't used mine yet - just picked it up last weekend and put it together. 8 speeds from 450/500 to 2500 rpm. 3000rpm in US but I'm told they have 60 cycles. (Not sure if thats the same as bikes) Its as solid as a rock, 42 inches between centres. I suppose they all do the same thing but the Jet just seemed as though it would do it for a lot longer...and it comes with a manual for people like me who need to know everything because I've never used one before.

Cheers.