PDA

View Full Version : Renting ??

nic
18th April 2005, 10:42 PM
Hi
Reading about all these great workshops people have built, I'm wondering if everyone owns their house or if they are poor and rent like me.
If they do rent do you setup a decent shop without dreading the day the landlord kicks you out and you have to move all the toys ... err.. tools. :D :D

Nic

Dean
19th April 2005, 12:39 AM
Where's the poll option for "Hoping to own in 30 years after paying double the original amount to the bank?" :p :p :p :p

echnidna
19th April 2005, 12:52 AM
Hi
Reading about all these great workshops people have built, I'm wondering if everyone owns their house or if they are poor and rent like me.
If they do rent do you setup a decent shop without dreading the day the landlord kicks you out and you have to move all the toys ... err.. tools. :D :D

Nic
We own a house but live in a house we don't own.
I have a good shop (bit too small) but dread the day when its time for us to move on. But the other option is do nothing.....

dan_tom
19th April 2005, 01:05 AM
I guess it depends on the passion and drive that you have for woodworking.
My wife and I rent and have set up quite the workshop down stairs. The only thing that we have not headed into is having a ducted dust collection system.
We both love our woodworking and play in the workshop every weekend. I also spend a fair bit of time in there each morning before work.
Of coursed I dread the day that we have to move all the equipment but that is why we pay a removalist.
If you love the work get amongst it.

A quote I once heard goes something like "planning kills passion". In other words if you have to think too much about pulling out and setting up all the tools you soon lose the inspiration to create....
Enjoy the hobby, thats why we share it.
Cheers
Tom

I_wanna_Shed
19th April 2005, 09:07 AM
Yep, I've got only 11 days of renting to go. Then we live in a house owned by our friendly bank manager! At the moment I don't even have a workbench, so when I want to work I have to back the cars out, set up my little foldable bench, drag the tools out and move around the rest of the stuff stored around the garage.

Ahhh...... my double car shed (with a large work bench) is just days away!

craigb
19th April 2005, 10:04 AM
I suspect that like most people, we own a bit of our house and the Bank owns the other bit :rolleyes:

Kev Y.
19th April 2005, 10:10 AM
Yep, I've got only 11 days of renting to go.

And just who is counting?? ;)

I own (along with the bank) the house I am currently in, But find my self in the position of making a decission as to if I should sell up where I am to clear my debts and rent for a while.. or simply stay here.

The thought of being at the mercy of some-one else AND having to relocate my machinery is tending to sway me toward the "stay here and tough it out" side of the decission making process. :confused:

Cliff Rogers
19th April 2005, 10:22 AM
Where's the option for people that don't own the place but aren't paying rent either?

silentC
19th April 2005, 10:38 AM
Yeah, where's the option for "Have been bludging rent-free in the parent's house for the last two years but as of today will be renting the same house from someone else for 6 months having convinced the parents to sell up and build a bigger house with a bigger shed on a bigger block in a cheaper area"?

Rocker
19th April 2005, 11:14 AM
SilentC,

I was wondering why you were not stressing out at the prospect of moving your family into a tent on your new block. Mind you, having spent several years of my life living in tents, I know that camping has its charms, but not with two young children.

Rocker

silentC
19th April 2005, 11:25 AM
I did float the idea of living in the shed for the duration. There are two problems with the idea. One of them is my wife. The other is the local council. For some reason, neither of them believe that living in a shed, no matter how temporarily, is acceptable. :(

So, we get to be tenants in the house that my family has owned for more than 30 years. Still, at least we only have to move once...

Iain
19th April 2005, 11:36 AM
The bank tells me that they own this place, except when the rates arrive and it becomes mine until they are paid.
I like the idea of a tent, especially with the kids, when it becomes a grot hole you can just lift it over the mess and start again.

Harry72
19th April 2005, 11:16 PM
Yup Im paying rent to the bank too, never will own it sell it before then!
Got a plan, SWMBO is currently becoming a near top level chef(doing a 2yr course,4 mths in) Im trying to finish renovating ready to sell... pay off all dedts(car/house/CC/personal loan)become dedt free with a deposit for new house.
SWMBO hopefully find job earning as much or more as I do currently(anywhere pref on the coast somewhere)I'll be resigning from current job taking a part time job and home duties, and start making wooden products for a bit extra cash!
Should make good profit on the house paid 40 sell 150-160.

journeyman Mick
19th April 2005, 11:23 PM
Nic,
we (mostly) own our place, been here almost three years. Hope to buy out the bank's share in the next few years :rolleyes: . Lived in a rental belonging to friends who were working overseas for 5 years prior to this, had a workshop underneath of about 80 sq M. When we moved to our current place I had to hire a crane truck to shift all my timber, tools, hardware & machines. I'm never moving again! Prior to that I lived in 9 different rentals in 8 years. All my gear was either in toolboxes in a ute, a tool trailer and a small 6M x 3M shed I rented. Although at one stage I was renting a 100M2 shed. Ireckon I've wasted about 6 months of my life in the last 15 years moving tools and timber around :eek: . I reckon I've now got twice as much as I did 3 years ago so when I leave it will have to be feet first! ;)

Mick

Rusty
19th April 2005, 11:28 PM
Renting, renting, renting. Pros are not being tied to the bank and afraid of losing a job, cons are not being able to provide the kind of environment I'd really like for my children. Mortgages really are a rip-off, but it still irks me to pay the man every month. Can't have it all your own way, I guess, especially when you're a professional under acheiver. C'est la vie.

I do what I want with the landlord's shed. He does what he wants with my money. Fair deal, I says.

Regards,
Rusty.

zathras
20th April 2005, 07:09 AM
The shed is well and truly paid for and is MINE ALL MINE bwhahahahaha.

The land it sits on, well the bank still holds claim to that :D :(

nic
20th April 2005, 10:10 AM
From the poll, I can see that most of you own the place which makes sense.
I'm getting really weary of getting new machine, last time I moved the guys had finished the house and seemed quite pleased with themselves, then I opened the garage and said all that has to go too !! Poor fellas :D :D
Last week our landlord got the land surveyed so I don't think we will have much choice soon.

that's life

Nic

Wood Borer
20th April 2005, 10:55 AM
We own our place every last little crack, every exposed thread in the threadbare carpets and every flake of flaking paint. Maybe that's a clue how we paid it off.

Not only does lack of maintenance save money but it also gives the house "the rented run down" appearance. This has discouraged burglars so far (touch wood).

I worked two jobs for for over 12 years and studied part time for promotions etc. I didn't have much spare time but I did do woodwork in flats we rented and in a tumble down shed in an old house we once rented.

Cleaning wood fibres and glue out of purple nylon carpet in the 1970's was always a challenge but what other choice did I have? - Do no woodwork??? - Hardly.

Now I own my own almost tumble down shed (soon to be replaced I hope).

It can be done with hard work and careful saving.

Renting is no excuse not to have a workshop even if it has to be modest and temporary.

Wood Butcher
20th April 2005, 09:34 PM
Yep, I've got only 11 days of renting to go.
I'm on the other end of the stick. I've only got 16 days of owning to go. I am swlling my house at the moment so I can go back to uni (more on that later).
The one thing that I will miss is my brand new shed. Only finished it about two months ago.:(

Daddles
21st April 2005, 12:07 AM
I'm renting. Waiting for a busted marriage settlement to allow me to buy again.

The shed? I chose a place with a big, double garage up the back. Wonderful. It's driving me nuts! The power points are in all the wrong places. The door needs some serious fixing. The ... well ... you know what it's like.

However, I am in residence. The floor is waist deep in shavings. My boats are dry and happy. There's even a place to keep the thicknesser.

But by golly, I can't wait to own my own shed again SO I CAN FLAMIN' CHANGE THINGS. :D

Richard

Gumby
21st April 2005, 12:20 AM
Should make good profit on the house paid 40 sell 150-160.

That's a false profit Harry. You're just going to give it to the guy you buy your next house from.

numbat
21st April 2005, 12:25 PM
I have gone through a period of ownership (15 years) then renting for about 5 years (3 different places) - as we moved around a bit as we were not sure where we wanted to end up and some uncertainty in relation to employment. Have owned for the past 5 years again - its great to be able to do what you want, without getting permission. But you do have to look after the place. Then you want to do things like renovate the kitchen, paint, build your shed etc. Just going through one of those expensive times at the moment.

Renting has its place too - when things are uncertain it is not too bad. Once you factor in buying and selling costs (at least $10k each time) renting has its place. Just ring the removalists and give notice - and you are gone. No waiting to sell. But you cart around all your stuff - because the furniture you stored in the last house is exactly what you need now.

Cheers

simon c
21st April 2005, 12:42 PM
It's no coincidence that my memebrship to this forum started a couple of months after I went from being a renter to being an owner again

Termite
21st April 2005, 01:54 PM
Ah the price you pay for being over 60. I own the bloody lot and have done since I was 36. Now I'm paying for what I did in those early years to own a house so young. Stuffed knees, stuffed back, not stuffing anything, nerves shot to pieces, smoke a pack a day, teach fish how to drink, and wouldn't change a bloody thing even if I could. :D

Wongo
21st April 2005, 02:31 PM
Hopefully I will pay off my house in 10 years time. :confused:

My neighbours, who happen to be my father-in-law and mother-in-law, are building a new house. I will be using half of their new garage for my workshop. They have been very kind to me since we got married. :)

woooooo, only 6 more weeks to go. :o

Wood Borer
21st April 2005, 02:42 PM
Ah the price you pay for being over 60.

Brother Termite, your age shows you as being 60 which is equal to 60 not over!!! Does that make you feel younger now? :D

Wongo are you sure your clamp collection will fit into the new shed? :D We look forward to the photos when it happens. You can offload some of the clamps to me if they don't fit.

Wongo
21st April 2005, 02:54 PM
You can offload some of the clamps to me if they don't fit.

No problem brother. I am still waiting for some of your LN planes.

Lets help each other out :D

Wood Borer
21st April 2005, 03:00 PM
Scott,

We are hijacking this post!!!! :o

When I have duplicates like you, I will start swapping.

Bob Willson
21st April 2005, 03:24 PM
Termite
Did you bring a bunch of your little brothers and sisters over to my place recently?

Just discovered an infestation of the really bad type of white ants in a part of my house (which should be mine in about one year) which is impossible to get at without ripping up carpets and floorboards. :(
Shouldn't cost more than about $10K to fix. :( ... If I'm lucky :( :( :( :( :(
If we rented we could just tell the owners; and then move to a new house that wasn't infested with the little F'rs.

silentC
21st April 2005, 03:26 PM
Roll the carpet back over, tack it down and put the place on the market!

Solved all of my termite problems ;)

Bob Willson
21st April 2005, 03:33 PM
Oh Silent, how could I do that to one of my brothers or sisters?
The ba$tards would probably get an inspection done anyway.
Can't trust home buyers to do the right thing. :(

Iain
21st April 2005, 04:51 PM
There is a good pest control/termite inspection company who were on ACA recently, house was rotten with them and they couldn't find one.

Termite
21st April 2005, 05:19 PM
Termite
Did you bring a bunch of your little brothers and sisters over to my place recently?.
Sorry Bob, the rello's are a disgustingly uncontrolable bunch and do tend to roam all over the place. Give 'em what they deserve, there's only about 500 billion to replace them. :(

HappyHammer
21st April 2005, 06:00 PM
The answer to the bank is to sell and move somewhere cheaper, either dramatically reducing your loan or ridding yourself of it completely. Roll on my lifestyle change......:rolleyes:

HH.