PDA

View Full Version : New to Forums

bdar
19th April 2005, 11:56 PM
Hi All,
I'm new to forums but not to wood turning, self taught when I was about 13, been at it on and off for 24 years. Best therapy after a week of work. My name is Darren or bdar, hope to meet fellow wood turners and learn and share ideas. The only way I can get better is to learn from others but most importantly is to share ideas so I can push myself to limits that I dare to go. Keep the shavings flying. Big Dar

smidsy
20th April 2005, 12:47 AM
Hei Darren,
Welcome to the mad bunch.
With 24 years in the game you'll probably be answering questions rather than asking them, but one of the great features of this forum is the search function.
Again, welcome aboard.
Cheers
Paul

rsser
20th April 2005, 12:51 AM
Welcome Darren.

Lots of wisdom in the minds of the forum folk here. And you'll bring your own too.

Just be sure to read the forum rules and if you have a question, do a search on previous posts and see what's already out there.

Meantime, why not tell us what kind of turning you're doing? Post some pics.

TimberNut
20th April 2005, 11:05 AM
Hi Darren,

Welcome to the forum that is (for the most part) very informative. You'll encounter just about every personality here. You may have to pick through some of the comments, but rest assured, there are a lot of experienced turners here that offer worthwhile input.

You describe yourself as a turner who likes to push yourself to test your limits. I salute you!!! Don't be afraid to break a few items in an effort to improve (as long as they are timber pieces, not parts of your body!)

Got any pictures of your latest work?

Kris.Parker1
20th April 2005, 11:48 AM
G'day Darren, welcome to what is one of the best kept secrets of the web. Hope you enjoy your stay and put into these forums as much as you get out of them.

Cheers

Kris

bdar
22nd April 2005, 01:46 AM
Hei Darren,
Welcome to the mad bunch.
With 24 years in the game you'll probably be answering questions rather than asking them, but one of the great features of this forum is the search function.
Again, welcome aboard.
Cheers
PaulHi Paul,

Thanks for your welcome, I hope I can be able to bounce ideas and concepts around with you all, and I hope I can answer some questions. New at computers so it may take me awhile. Wood turning is so much easier, it doesn't beep at you if you do something wrong. Thanks again for the welcome.
To all things good
Darren

bdar
22nd April 2005, 02:00 AM
Hi Ern,
Thanks for your welcome and for seeing rules advice. I don't seem to be doing as much spindle work now, but do keep practicing it. I have leaned more to face plate work with texturing, scorching, using cane and raffia in designs, barbed wire. At the moment I have a piece of avocado 290 mm in diameter by 400 mm deep that I am studding with 1.5 mm diameter studs. When I finish I will post a picture. would be grateful for your comments.

Regards Darren

bdar
22nd April 2005, 02:11 AM
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your reply. I feel if you don't push the limit then you don't better yourself. Pushed a littel to hard a few times, 3 broken ribs at 13, I learnt you don't put a 4x4 in the lathe at top speed and just jam a chisel in, not good. A broken nose and a couple of squashed fingers when you just lose that concentration for that split second. I have learnt to listen to the chisels and timber talk to me, a bit Zen like but at times I don't hear the lathe running, just the tone of the chisel against the wood.
Thanks again, good to hear from you.

To all things good.

Darren

bdar
22nd April 2005, 02:19 AM
Hi Kris,
Thanks for your welcome, it is a pleasure to be a part of a group that is willing to talk, share and help fellow wood turners. Members of my local guild are mainly retired gentlemen and I have bonded some great friendships with a few. There would be 5 of us under 40, and I always feel as though I am an outsider. This is a welcome change. Thanks again. To all things good.

Darren