PDA

View Full Version : Thicknesser

Iain
7th May 2002, 09:42 PM
I am in desperate need of a planer thickenesser and I am looking at a 12 1/2" deWalt or Delta.
Both seem good units and the Delta is about $200.00 cheaper.
Which way to roll, I am happy to spend the extra if it is worth having.
Opinions please.........

------------------
: http://community.webshots.com/user/iain49

John Saxton
7th May 2002, 11:56 PM
Dewalt had a fairly good response as I recall with the unit they put on the market Iain,and I know of at least three guys that still have them and are happy with their performance.

The occasional one is starting to turn up now and a bargain may be had if one is pursuing a second hand rather than new.
Ideal for a small work area with both functions the appeal in the machine in
itself notable.

Can't comment on the Delta so leave that up to your investigative prowess,but I do know that those who have the DeWalt hang on to them.

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Baz
8th May 2002, 10:16 PM
Hi Iain,
I have a deWalt 10" planer thicknesser. Bought it second hand at Hare & Forbes many years ago. I don't use it much but it has not given me any problems, have put a few big boards of Jarrah & Red Gum through, no probs. Hope this has been of some help.
Cheers
Barry

Hoffy
9th May 2002, 02:09 PM
I have a Delta 12" unit. This has been in use a few years now without any problems. I am happy with the unit. The blades are double sided so you throw them away after you use the second side up. Cost of blades are about the same as the cost of sharpening a set. They are screwed in without any adjustment or set up necessary - very quick, a real bonus. I do not know if Dewalt has this feature.

Iain
9th May 2002, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the info, I have also done a little research while I have been out on the road and I have found out the following:
1. As pointed out the Delta blades are throwaway BUT they can be moved sideways slightly to eliminate and marks caused by a nick in the blade.

2. DeWalt can be sharpened at no cost when you have a Tormek system sitting in the garage.

3. Carbatec planers claim to come from the same factory in Taiwan as the DeWalt ????

4. The DeWalt has a bigger infeed/outfeed table and a slightly bigger motor.

5. I hate dealing with pimply little bastards who have earings in their eyelids and expect me to treat them credibily when they deliver a homily on something they obviously know little about.

6. I think it may just be the DeWalt.

------------------

Iain
9th May 2002, 10:12 PM
$830 for a 13" and I still hate point 5, that was not at Carbatec.
I just get irritated with little smart pimples who suffer from halitosis and want to extend their wealth of knowledge from their 17 years of life.
P Plates on the car and L plates on the zipper.

------------------

Tristan Croll
10th May 2002, 11:25 AM
Better do yours up, your prejudice is showing.

ubeaut
10th May 2002, 11:58 AM
Maybe the little smart pimple who suffers from halitosis http://www.ubeaut.biz/halitosis.gif is sick to death of over-sized, smart , middle aged, knowall, whinging babyboomers who think they're superior and won't give him a fair go. http://www.ubeaut.biz/oink.gif

You're a worry Ian. Maybe you should shrink yourself. http://www.ubeaut.biz/sleep.gif And keep out of Bunnies and other such establishments that are serviced by these people or put up with it.

Jeez.....

Iain
10th May 2002, 01:23 PM
Not prejudice, I just want a decent thicknesser and I detest all the crap that is thrown my way. The one to whom I refer wanted to try and sell me a combo machine that does absolutely everything. Had a 10" saw, planer and buzzer (over and under), router, chisel mortiser and a drill. Brand new for $990.00.
It was crude looking and I could see the top was not level but he was desperate to offload this piece of rubbish.
I want a thicknesser, nothing more,nothing less. I tried to steer this young lad back onto my course but he was hell bent on me walking out with this and would not even talk price on the deWalt or Delta which is what I an looking at.
A trip to Carbtec yielded some good results and they talked about what features were available and not available, they also were happy to show me the Carbtec model which I am uncertain about.
Audel in Dandenong were also helpful and I will probably wind up going there when I get my biccys.
The store in question was not Bunnies but one of the supposedly more reputable tool places were I buy a lot of my sanding discs but after this episode I doubt I will return.
God Neil, if I want to buy a Holden don't try to sell me a Ford, it should be patently obvious I am not interested.
Of course now Stoppers has tossed a spanner in the works by telling me about the Carbatec which is the same price as the Delta.
Another reason I look around is price, and given that I am on the road a lot of the time I get the opportunity to do this and what a massive variation.
DeWalt from $930 to $1195, Delta $800 to $900
Carbatec only has one supplier so doesn't really matter and the makita seems a bit short on features and over $1200.
A $260 variation on one machine seems a hell of a variation and warrants a good look around before parting with the hard earned.
I have also found out that in the USA the Delta is available in two speed, just wonder if there are any advantages and is it worth waiting for?
I shall now crawl back into my phrontistery and terminate the homily, with apologies to all who have tolerated this thus far, but I still like to be treated fairly and not like a bloody idiot, whom I fail to tolerate gladly.
Sorry Stoppers, sounds like a bit of you has rubbed off on me.

[This message has been edited by Iain (edited 10 May 2002).]

Kev Y.
10th May 2002, 03:46 PM
Iain, I have JUST purchased a planer/thicknesser. At first I too was comparing the DeWalt and the Delta, and could not make up my mind. Finally settled for one which was just as good, specially for the amount of work I am intending to give it.

May I suggest , if you have the time, to take a trip over to Preston - Unit 1/70 Chiffley Drive to be exact - and see what they have to offer.

Bring on the critics, A dollar saved is a dollar spent elsewhere!.

Kev.

------------------
IF at first you don't succeed, relax your normal.

Iain
10th May 2002, 03:57 PM
Thanks Kev, might wander in on MOnday as I am over that way, any particular breed?
Is that Woodworkers warehouse or something similar?

Evan Pavlidis
11th May 2002, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Iain:
Thanks Kev, might wander in on MOnday as I am over that way, any particular breed?
Is that Woodworkers warehouse or something similar?

Hello Iain,

I've been using a 12" Delta for 4 years and
havn't had any problems. The blades are
throwaways and at the moment Carbatec sell
them for $69 a pair; also the dust extractor
chute is an option (about $60 from memory).
I have used the machine for thicknessing
jarrah, redgum posts and other various timbers including gidgee and mulga without
any problems. The DeWalt is a good machine also, and I think you can get carbide tipped blades for it. The Delta is cheaper and reliable and with the price difference you may be able to score a dust extractor (recommended); just a thought.

P.S. The woodworking machinery shop in Chifley Drive Preston as noted in a previous post, stocks thicknesers by LEDA and their own brand; they also have a range of European
machinery (quite impressive) including
Scheppach.

Cheers,
Evan

Kev Y.
11th May 2002, 08:51 PM
Iain, They go by the name of "woodworking machine supplies" and thier home brand is WMS machines.

Mine has a two reversable toss-a-way blades. no need for setting jigs for these blades, they have two small locating pins in the cutter block. The other day I passed a lump of Grey Box (I think) through it, had a wonderful finish to it.

Kev.

Their web site is www.woodworking.com.au (http://www.woodworking.com.au)

Rod Smith
12th May 2002, 10:18 AM
G'day Iain
I didn't post this info before as I didn't think it was what you are looking for, but here goes anyway. I have a 12" combo buzzer/thicknesser Austrian made(Emco) which is now owned by metabo and sold under their name. I picked it up for 2k a few years ago. For a light weight (95kg I think) its a great machine, change over takes about 30secs. The dust chute is worth buying and works on both functions. 2 cutter head, standard type blades (not disposable). If you want to know more just ask.
Cheers
Rod

Iain
12th May 2002, 12:26 PM
Rod, that was a consideration but two problems. Space and I had set a budget of about $k1 give or take a few.
I've burnt myself before by buying something I thought I wanted and is now a dust gatherer and I have considered this one long and hard.
I want something compact to edge boards (with the assistance of an MDF jig and clamps) and take the grot of the surfaces.
The thicknesser looks like the obvious choice for my situation, unless I can rearrange the garage to accept a buzzer/planer. Then I would be looking at the secondhand market.
This has been a consideration but there is not much around that seems to be any good or it is three phase.
That raises the next obviuos question, who has a range of good secondhand gear, there is one is Bayswater, don't recall the name but all they had was HUGE pro gear and 'no name'12" thicknesser for $1200.00 (brand new), for that money I will stick with a known brand.
I also received an email telling me to avoid Ryobi as they are only 2 post and the others are 4, this apparently results in more sniping (on the 2 post). was not aware that Ryobi made one.
Thanks Rod.

------------------

Rod Smith
13th May 2002, 01:20 PM
No worries Iain
The emco/metabo doesnt take up much space, in fact thats why I bought it. After spending a week cleaning out my workshop I had no more room. I then went to the woodwork show, saw the emco and bought it. Prior to that I had a 12" thicknesser and 6" buzzer, both heavy duty, 4 cutter, 3 ph cast iron jobs. I thought the emco would be ok but not as good. I was very pleasantly surprised.
Good luck
Rod

Rod Smith
13th May 2002, 01:24 PM
Oh, as far as secondhand goes very few s/h thicknessers come up for sale here in adelaide. Every couple of years I see a sheppach buzzer/thicknesser for sale. These are pretty good I reckon. Not as good as the emco IMHO. Can usually get them for around 700-1000
cheers
Rod

JackG
13th May 2002, 07:22 PM
As far as we are talking Planners/Thicknessers I am interested in a 10" model planner thicknesser that is rebadged and sold by various outlets including Carbatec and Hare & Forbes, it is often labeled PT-260, It also seems that the Magno 260 sold by wms is an up-market version of the same machine. It retails at around $ 1100 (the pt-260)

Anyone got good or bad experiences with that Machine ?

And for Iain if that makes you feel better a Sydney shop also tried to flog me the $1000 do it all machine which had the poorest manufacture I have ever seen, then when the guy claimed that the dewalt 12" thicknesser could produce veneers as thick as a sheet of paper I just walked out....

ta

Jack

[This message has been edited by JackG (edited 13 May 2002).]

Iain
18th May 2002, 06:55 PM
Found an ad today in the trading post for a buzzer, went to have a look and found it was a wholesaler going out of business in Kilsyth.
He has a lot of gear left and claims it is cheap, even a 12 1/2" thicknesser for $660.00 (3 left).
There is a 10" for $350.00 and the 6" buzzer is $400.00.
All sorts of gear there and the number, for anyone interested is
03 9761 8087.
Kilsyth, Melbourne outer east.

------------------

Kev Y.
18th May 2002, 08:57 PM
Iain, $660 for the thicknesser is a steal, take it. as for the 6" Buzzer (jointer to others) $400 also seems a good price.