PDA

View Full Version : Interesting grain

torchwood
23rd February 2013, 03:27 PM
Hi all, found this log out on somebody’s nature strip. The vase I made has unusual grain in it and I’m wondering if anybody knows what tree it’s from. Cheers Harry

wheelinround
23rd February 2013, 03:29 PM
who cares its got character :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

shedbound
23rd February 2013, 03:31 PM
maybe silky oak?:?

A Duke
23rd February 2013, 03:35 PM
Nice turning, but it's sure messed up some poor little bug's home.
Regards

dr4g0nfly
23rd February 2013, 06:51 PM
And to think, some people thought it was just a piece of 'manky old wood'.

I trust you evicted all the former tenants?

torchwood
23rd February 2013, 08:09 PM
And to think, some people thought it was just a piece of 'manky old wood'.

I trust you evicted all the former tenants?

First evicted were the disgusting maggot looking wood grubs, and then the ants, with fly spray.
PS. I don’t dare take it into the lounge room yet, who knows what’s still hibernating in that wood.:no:

wood hacker
23rd February 2013, 09:14 PM
PS. I don’t dare take it into the lounge room yet, who knows what’s still hibernating in that wood.:no:

Stuff the lounge room, just don't let them little critters anywhere near the wood pile :no:

Lovely turning as always TW.

hughie
23rd February 2013, 09:23 PM
Hmmm I suspect it could be Ignotum Lignum Australis.

hughie
23rd February 2013, 09:24 PM
First evicted were the disgusting maggot looking wood grubs, and then the ants, with fly spray.

put it in the freezer for a few days at below zero :2tsup: works a treat

TTIT
23rd February 2013, 10:33 PM
I concur! :U

powderpost
23rd February 2013, 11:24 PM

Agreed.... Southern silky oak or Grevillea robusta
Jim

Paul39
24th February 2013, 04:56 AM

Microwave it in 15 second bursts until the piece gets very warm to the touch. Critters will be roasted.

It is fog wood - found on ground, I use a lot of it.

Beautiful piece.

artme
24th February 2013, 09:43 AM
Nice bitawerk!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Not sure about yhe Silky but it certainly looks like a Grevillia of some sort!

Sawdust Maker
24th February 2013, 02:01 PM
Nice bit of wood and obtained at the right price :2tsup:

Oh and a nicely turned piece!

torchwood
24th February 2013, 04:53 PM

Thanks for all your comments.
Shedbound, once you put a name to it, I was able to google it up. It’s definitely silky oak/ lace wood.
The snakeskin pattern and texture gave it away. Thanks for that, Harry

Wizened of Oz
26th February 2013, 12:40 PM
Nice shaped turnings, dramatic grain, but a lot of "natural features".
Maybe not Silky Oak though. There are so many species across several related genera that have the medullary ray pattern that it is difficult to identify the species with only the wood.
The bark and the gnarly trunk shape look wrong for Silky Oak (Grevillea robusta). It usually grows with a quite regular trunk. Your timber may be Banksia. The only one of these I have used for timber is the Coastal Banksia. Its wood looks much like Southern Silky Oak, but lighter weight and softer and redder. And the grain pattern is bit more dramatic. All this makes me think you may have a piece of one of the Banksia species.

robo hippy
1st March 2013, 07:28 AM
At first thought, I said oak, like the acorn types. The medullary rays are spectacular. It doesn't look red enough to be the silky oak/lace wood, from the few pieces I have seen, and the flecking isn't big enough. Possibly sycamore or London plane tree, which some call lace wood.

How did it turn? Splintery? Which is how I think of silky oak. Hard? Like most of the acorn oaks, but not as hard as some of your down under woods. Soft? Like most of the sycamore I have turned, which is a soft maple.

robo hippy

torchwood
2nd March 2013, 03:52 PM
At first thought, I said oak, like the acorn types. The medullary rays are spectacular. It doesn't look red enough to be the silky oak/lace wood, from the few pieces I have seen, and the flecking isn't big enough. Possibly sycamore or London plane tree, which some call lace wood.

How did it turn? Splintery? Which is how I think of silky oak. Hard? Like most of the acorn oaks, but not as hard as some of your down under woods. Soft? Like most of the sycamore I have turned, which is a soft maple.

robo hippy

Hi robo, it did look very red when I first split the log, it wasn’t hard to turn, but it was a bit splintery.

Barden Koenig
8th March 2013, 05:53 AM
It shares qualities with our red elm, but I'm sure that's not helpful

Trent The Thief
8th March 2013, 08:01 AM
put it in the freezer for a few days at below zero :2tsup: works a treat

I concur! :U

I wish that worked here. If I try that, the little buggers just snooze until it warms up :((

Mobyturns
8th March 2013, 08:42 AM
Agreed.... Southern silky oak or Grevillea robusta
Jim

I would agree, southern silky oak (Grevillea robusta) or certainly another grevillea. Did it have a natural slightly waxy feel to it?

ogato
8th March 2013, 10:08 AM
I'd be inclined to go with Wizened's post - Banksia. Very wize in regards to local trees/timber.

I picked up a couple of bits of banksia from the local dump on the weekend, very similar in appearance to your vase.

torchwood
8th March 2013, 06:34 PM
I would agree, southern silky oak (Grevillea robusta) or certainly another grevillea. Did it have a natural slightly waxy feel to it?

Not sure Moby, but it was nice to turn