PDA

View Full Version : Chisel mortisers

wcarey
28th May 2002, 10:26 PM
I am considering buying a chisel mortiser (eg Jet, Delta or something like that. The current project involves making a linen press frame and doors. I know that I could probably set up a jig for the router, but the idea of square mortises appeals to me and it would a seem quicker solution.
What do people think about these machines? Are they worth the investment?
Do they perform to expectation?
Cheers and thanks for the replies.
Bill

Iain
29th May 2002, 09:03 AM
You have probably opened a can of worms here, but my 2.2 cents worth (including GST).
I bought one just over a year ago and after a bit of experimenting and fiddling we are actually quite good friends now.
I find I am using it more than I anticpated and the chisels cost between $18 (WMS) and $28 (Carbatec).
MIne is a Record and fairly small, can be a bugger to set up but I intend to invest in a vice that aligns in all directions for about $80.00 to hold the workpiece and move it accurately.
There are a lot on the market and the more you pay the better table you get essentially.

John Saxton
29th May 2002, 08:01 PM
I have a WMS brand of mortiser ..fiddley like Iain says but after a few trials to eliminate the errors mainly of my own making I have a better working relationship with it.

Makita used to produce a chain Mortiser..costlier than the chisel mortisers but perhaps another option if it suits you to investigate,tho I'm not too sure whether they still carry this line.

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Zsteve
30th May 2002, 02:08 PM
Bill,

What is your demand likely to be for the use of a morticer after this project? and available space?

If you don't need to cut mortices often or only make the occasional bit of furniture then maybe a morticing attachment for a pedestall/bench drill would suit your needs.

I have had one for years cut countless mortices of varying sizes for numerous projects and have never had a problem.

Stephen.

ubeaut
2nd June 2002, 09:27 AM
I have one for the pedestal drill for well over 12 years. When we had the school, it was used daily and has literally done thousands of joints. It is still going strong and I have no hesitation in recommending one.

We used 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" cutters and have never had a problem except for one load of mesmate that it wouldn't look at and neither would a couple of others. Keep the blades and the drills sharp and it should last for ever.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

wcarey
3rd June 2002, 12:20 AM
Thanks to all for you comments. I have quite a few projects in mind, so I'll probably go for a Jet. My drill is only a bench top, so it's not good enough for a mortising attachment.

Is there a tool to keep the chisels sharp?

Cheers
BIll

Iain
3rd June 2002, 05:47 PM
Found a mortiser, 1hp with the adjustable table in all directions.
This is from the place that is closing down in Melbourne.
He wants $1108.00 for it, normally about $1600.00.
Give me a shout if yoy are interested.

John Saxton
8th June 2002, 06:28 PM
Just thought that I'd throw this in seeing as how the topic was still current.

For those interested there is a very good article in the latest (June) issue of "Fine Woodworking" regarding sharpening Hollow Mortising Chisels and bits on page 52.

Whilst the topic is covered in reasonable depth I feel it omits possibly one aspect of preparation and that is the honing/polishing of the four external sides of the chisel to remove milling imperfections ..small they may be, but with less suface friction and a cleaner cut is what you achieve taking a few moments to hone out the surfaces on new chisels and an occasional touch up when gum residue is apparent.
One may say that you're getting too fussy but the end result justifies the means if this approach in care with cutting implements becomes second nature.

Just some thoughts.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

soundman
8th June 2002, 10:03 PM
There was also an article a few issues ago in FWW running hollow chissel machines agains one another. Most enlightening.
If you don't get Fine Wood Working do your self a favour, subscription is much cheaper than news agent.