PDA

View Full Version : decorating/texturing tools?

michael_m
8th March 2013, 05:01 PM
Hi all,

I've come into a bit of birthday cash, and am thinking about getting a tool/tools for decorating and embellishing my turnings.

I am wanting something I can use on pens, bowls, and general spindle turnings. (given my lathe and skill limitations, most of my 'work' is in the 5-30cm diameter range).

In my research, the main contenders that have come up are:

Sorby texturing or spiralling/texturing tool. It is the most expensive option, maxing out my budget, but it does spiral as well as texture and apparently cuts its pattern in. Is it worth the extra money though? It is the largest tool of all the options. (Crown makes an almost identical looking tool as well)

Sorby micro-texturing/spiralling tool. Same as above, but over $100 cheaper, and much smaller. Ideally sized for pens. Is it too small for bowls or larger turned objects though?

Henry Taylor Decorating Elf. Also cuts its pattern in. Looks really versatile and can do both end and side grain. But it is small, and I don't know how well it would do larger surfaces. Also, are the coving and point tools really necessary, or can they be replaced by a skew and small spindle gouge?

Timberly Textura. The new version is now available. I like the concept of being able to change wheels, and using it on both end and side grain, concave and convex surfaces. It embosses its patterns in (is that a bad thing, or not? I am uncertain). But the older version has had mixed reviews, from searching this forum.

Wagner Texturing Tool. From previous threads on here, it has received good reviews, and is the only one I have seen in action in the flesh (so to speak). But it only has one pattern, and others need to be bought for different patterns/textures, and it is not intended for bowls or concave surfaces (according to the advertising). Having said that, each Wagner tool is, by itself, cheaper than any of the others (3 different Wagners together are approx. the price of one Textura). It embosses its patterns.

Does anyone have any opinions or experiences of any of the above (or other) tools? Am I being a bit optimistic in wanting just one tool for a variety of situations and do I need to consider getting a couple of them? Is embossing or cutting the pattern better, or is it a matter of personal preference or different techniques for different results?

Your thoughts, comments and advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th March 2013, 06:23 PM
Well... a word of caution here. Texturing tools tend to be rather fussy about what woods they work on. The timber really needs to be fairly straight & fine grained, soft timbers work better. Or should I say quicker? Hard timbers can take a lot longer to work the same texture in, but the result is more durable.

From what I've seen, all of the tools you mention will handle both end- & side-grain, however... if where you are texturing has a mix of side & end grain (highly figured? cut from a crotch?) then you're likely to have mixed results. Generally rather poor. 'Cos end- & side-grain will take a texture completely differently to each other; ideally whatever band you're hoping to texture should have near identical grain orientation all the way around.

I've used both the Sorby's & the Elf with varied success. Not the tools faults; mine. :shrug: Even so, my preference is towards the Elf, given the type of texturing I do. (Small bands and 'daisies' on bottoms.) I found that I have better control of the cutting when using a burr, rather than the wheel-type t/tools. I aslo think it's the most versatile... although it takes a fair bit longer to cover the same area that a Sorby can do quickly.

If I was covering large areas, I'd go for the Sorby. BUT to do so successfully needs long familiarisation with the tool as you need to change the wheel angle as you move away from the centre to maintain the 'type' of texture. It's just practice. And IMHO large textured areas don't look right. :rolleyes:

I'm not familiar with the Textura or the Wagner, although they look to be more like knurling tools to me... the wheels are a bit wide, which is great for adding grip to handles, etc., but not so good when working the face of a spinning disk. Or a concave bowl, for that matter. (Kudos to Wagner for actually saying this in their PR!)

In the end, I think it all boils down to how you'll use the tool and personal preference.

ian thorn
8th March 2013, 07:56 PM
I have just recieved my Elf and find it easy to use so far you can make the 2tools (cove & piont) i have if you want a demo google Nick Agar on utube and search for his video on the Elfhelps you understand how it works then its up to your imagenation. Have fun what ever you buy

Cheers Ian

spankingpigeon
8th March 2013, 09:16 PM
Well... a word of caution here. Texturing tools tend to be rather fussy about what woods they work on. The timber really needs to be fairly straight & fine grained, soft timbers work better. Or should I say quicker? Hard timbers can take a lot longer to work the same texture in, but the result is more durable.

From what I've seen, all of the tools you mention will handle both end- & side-grain, however... if where you are texturing has a mix of side & end grain (highly figured? cut from a crotch?) then you're likely to have mixed results. Generally rather poor. 'Cos end- & side-grain will take a texture completely differently to each other; ideally whatever band you're hoping to texture should have near identical grain orientation all the way around.

I've used both the Sorby's & the Elf with varied success. Not the tools faults; mine. :shrug: Even so, my preference is towards the Elf, given the type of texturing I do. (Small bands and 'daisies' on bottoms.)​I found that I have better control of the cutting when using a burr, rather than the wheel-type t/tools. I aslo think it's the most versatile... although it takes a fair bit longer to cover the same area that a Sorby can do quickly.

If I was covering large areas, I'd go for the Sorby. BUT to do so successfully needs long familiarisation with the tool as you need to change the wheel angle as you move away from the centre to maintain the 'type' of texture. It's just practice. And IMHO large textured areas don't look right. :rolleyes:

I'm not familiar with the Textura or the Wagner, although they look to be more like knurling tools to me... the wheels are a bit wide, which is great for adding grip to handles, etc., but not so good when working the face of a spinning disk. Or a concave bowl, for that matter. (Kudos to Wagner for actually saying this in their PR!)

In the end, I think it all boils down to how you'll use the tool and personal preference. Man that has got to hurt lol

Drillit
9th March 2013, 09:17 AM
Hello michael m,
I only know one person who has tried the sorby textuirng system and he was disappointed with the results. Attempted texturing of walking sticks.
I use the wagner texturing tools (both sizes) and the decorating elf. Both effective. So experience says if you go with the sorby system you will have to spend much time to perfect, if ever.
It is not as if you are going to use them on every piece and as you say they are quite expensive comparatively with the others, although I have not
had any experience with the Textura system. Drillit.

rsser
9th March 2013, 07:36 PM
The Sorby spiraller does surprisingly well on Radiata pine spindle pieces as long as the disc faces are honed. It's working in scraper mode which normally produces a crap finish.

hughie
10th March 2013, 09:04 AM
I like the finish needle guns leave, the down side here is that they are very expensive and use vast quantities of air :~ In the US there are hobby type needle guns for $30-40 for a compac type, as a opposed to here for around 150-200.
Air Needle Scaler Pneumatic Air Tool Pistol Grip Remove Slag Rust Deburring New on eBay! (http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/360605282369?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes)

The shipping cost are a bit high ex US due to weight I am seriously thinking of getting one shipped to my niece in Washington and then reshipped to me. For some reason that escapes me I get a better deal this way.

Air Tools and Air Tool Fittings at Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools.html)

michael_m
11th March 2013, 04:57 PM
Thank you all :2tsup:.

At this stage I will probably go the decorating elf (I've been leaning that way for a while anyway), and maybe get a wagner texturing tool later down the track.

I must admit the Sorby spiralling tool does intrigue me, but at its price I can get the elf and a new chuck or 3 new spindle gouges :o. Maybe once I get the hang of the elf and decide that texturing/decorating my work is something I want to do, I'll lash out on the micro version.

Once again, thanks everyone!