PDA

View Full Version : My first homemade chisel

routermaniac
24th April 2005, 03:37 PM
I bought the el crapo GMC lathe a few weeks ago with the aim of just making chisel handles.

So after a bit of mucking around here is my first creation, a baby roughing gouge. The handle is made from a hardwood offcut, the ferrule I made from stainless steel pipe and the blade I bought ages ago from a trash and treasure market (I think it is only carbon steel).

What does everyone think?

PS: Next project will be a set of firmer type chisels with titan type handles. Cant wait :)

Cliff Rogers
24th April 2005, 05:03 PM
G'day

What are the dimensions?

If you stick something like a matchbox or a coin in the pic with the object, it makes it easier to work out.

The handle looks a bit short for me, I like something a bit longer.

I also reckon you could have spent a little longer on it with the sand paper too..... in a few years, you will look at the finish on that handle & wonder how you could have ever taken a photo of it & posted it with a question like "What does everyone think?" :D

Sturdee
24th April 2005, 05:11 PM
For a first creation I think it looks great, whilst I'm sure the next lot will be better, nothing beats that feeling of satisfaction as when you first master a new tool by making something.

Not quite as good a feeling as designing and building a new jig but a close second. :D :D :D Well done.

Peter.

routermaniac
24th April 2005, 05:28 PM
cliff, I havent got a rule handy just now, but the handle is roughly 16-17cm. As you say it IS small, reason is I did use an offcut, I had never meant for this to become anything :) .

As it turns out though it seems quite comfortable to hold despite being small. Re sanding, well I find that the finish suffices for the butchering I am intending on using it for :).

When I get to making the firmer chisels I will do it properly.

rsser
28th April 2005, 05:04 PM
Blade looks a little like a European spindle gouge - is it forged and shallow-ish? Bit hard to tell from your pikkies.

Not a problem, it will still rough out and double for long smooth curves in spindle turning.

routermaniac
28th April 2005, 11:15 PM
rsser, you maybe right, my experience with turning chisels is minimal. I have used it since the first post for roughing out on small pieces and it works very well, very comfortable to hold.

bdar
29th April 2005, 12:16 AM
G'Day,

Mighty fine effort for your first handle. For myself, I make my handles anywhere 1 1/2 to 2 times as long as the chisel length, because I like a longer handle for better leverage. Each person will make their handles to suit what is comfortable for them. Well done again.
To all things good.

Darren

adrian
29th April 2005, 01:06 AM
It looks good. I like the ferule. What's it made out of?
I agree that the handle looks a bit short but it's all about what you are comfortable with.

routermaniac
29th April 2005, 04:26 PM
the ferrule is stainless steel pipe cut and filed down :-)

Christopha
29th April 2005, 04:52 PM
The handle is MUCH too short. To turn safely, and accurately you need to be able to hold the handle near or against your body, PARTICULARLY WHEN ROUGHING! Take the handle off of the goudge and use it for a woodWORKING chisel and turn another, at least 300mm long for your rougher. Sorry to be a party pooper and it is a nice handle for something else.......

Terry Porter
17th May 2005, 01:45 AM
Nice first attempt. But I agree that the handle must be much longer for leverage, control and safety. Most of my home turned handles are longer than those supplied by manufacturers.

Also, beware of picking up blades of unknown origin. If they are not designed for turning they could be too brittle and snap with dangerous consequences.
If it is carbon steel it will need more frequent sharpening than high speed steel.

Invest in some quality English Sheffield steel HSS turning blades like Henry Taylor, Ashley Iles or Sorby and make your own handles for them!!!

Happy turning