PDA

View Full Version : 4.5 inch Projectile- The Process

Willy Nelson
10th March 2013, 02:02 PM
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

Last night, I turned another 4.5 inch projectile for the same friend who ordered the first one. Was a love job, but he paid me a 1 litre bottle of Jim Beam Black Label, Hmmmmmmmmm Jim Beam Black label.

Anyhoo, here is what I did
Mounted a large, heavy block of Jarrah that I cut approximately 7 years ago. Mounted it between centres and used the Arbortech Turboplane to knock the corners off (BEFORE power is turned on). This makes the turning safer and quicker.
The first projectile I turned is shown for a comparison and also, for I hope I would achieve
More to come

Willy
Jarrahland

Big Shed
10th March 2013, 02:05 PM
Man, that'd make one hell of a bullet pen:oo:

Looks great, well done:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

What will it get mounted on(in)?

Willy Nelson
10th March 2013, 02:12 PM
Bugger.

I was going to add a couple of posts in a string, but I had to revise the contents and some one has replied already. You guys are too quick!

Anyhoo
The next couple of photo show the projectile being turned to diameter and shape. At the headstock end will be the driving band and the part which will be inserted into the top of the 4.5 spent cartridge

Willy Nelson
10th March 2013, 02:18 PM
After I shaped the projectile, I left the driving band proud by about 3mm. I used the Robert Sorby Sprialling system to mark the timber to give the impression that the round had been fired and the marks left on the driving band are typical of the grooves left by the rifling.

I then used the texturing tool to pattern an area to represent the fuze area. After this, I used a diamond point to cut a V grrove, and then burnt the groove with a wire.

The finished product and compared with the original. Slightly smaller, didn't have a block of timber long enough

Willy

Willy Nelson
10th March 2013, 02:20 PM
And lastly, off the lathe and inside for approximately 10 coats of Danish oil

Cheers
Willy

Jarrahland

Drillit
10th March 2013, 09:21 PM
Willy,
Terrific effort, but please dont slip & sit on it. Could hurt, eh. Drillit.:U

dr4g0nfly
11th March 2013, 06:23 AM
Looks ready to go up the spout - nice WiP, thanks for the post.

Sawdust Maker
11th March 2013, 07:54 AM
Interesting :2tsup:

a piccy of it in the casing would by nice if you can, pls

hughie
11th March 2013, 08:18 AM
Interesting :2tsup:

a piccy of it in the casing would by nice if you can, pls

Yeah, whats with the spent rounds. :U

Willy Nelson
11th March 2013, 08:13 PM
Sorry Gents, I don't have one