PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy lamp posts.

tea lady
12th March 2013, 08:52 AM
A friend of a friend wanted some fantasy kinda lamp posts to hold the solar lamps she had. She like medieval reenactments and Terry Pratchett books and stuff. After a little research I concluded there was so many variations I could just go to town and it would be OK. They had to attach to the top of her already made gate posts. Plus a little urn thingy to go on the corner.

Cypress pine and red gum cos that is what I had. It will probably be painted. Their house number will hang on chains off the arm. (Maybe she won't paint the red gum bits when she sees them. :cool: )

Mutawintji
12th March 2013, 10:38 AM
Very nice ... they look to be about a metre long ... big turning job.

Greg

tea lady
12th March 2013, 10:42 AM
Very nice ... they look to be about a metre long ... big turning job.

Greg
Think they were about that. :shrug: Not that big.:cool:

Mutawintji
12th March 2013, 10:47 AM
Think they were about that. :shrug: Not that big.:cool:

Nevertheless .. a big job in the lathe ... for me anyway, tho I don't have one to do anything that big.

Also the cypress pine is immune to termites ... nice choice.

cool bananas ... greg

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th March 2013, 07:50 PM
:2tsup:

It'd be a shame to paint over the redgum, but with the Cypress...

How deeply inset is the redgum arm for the house number?

tea lady
12th March 2013, 08:57 PM
:2tsup:

It'd be a shame to paint over the redgum, but with the Cypress...

How deeply inset is the redgum arm for the house number?About 2 inches. Fairly tight fit. :cool:

TTIT
12th March 2013, 10:45 PM
Cool! :2tsup: How will they attach to the posts???

tea lady
12th March 2013, 11:54 PM
Cool! :2tsup: How will they attach to the posts???Well that's a work in progress. Cos they made the fence first:doh: I going to make square plates on wood with holes in the top that the posts get glued or screwed into, and the plates get screwed to the fence...... somehow. The fence is a real bodgy job anyway. These are going to be the best thing about it. :cool:

pommyphil
13th March 2013, 08:20 AM
Just a thought....does "bodgy" come from the rough bush turners of

chair components ?? High Wickham, etc. ??? Phil

RETIRED
13th March 2013, 09:46 AM
Just a thought....does "bodgy" come from the rough bush turners of

chair components ?? High Wickham, etc. ??? PhilYep.

Blarney
13th March 2013, 09:51 AM
Nice job. It seems that you are learning a lot working at Robbos.:cool:

Paul39
14th March 2013, 03:18 AM
Well that's a work in progress. Cos they made the fence first:doh: I going to make square plates on wood with holes in the top that the posts get glued or screwed into, and the plates get screwed to the fence...... somehow. The fence is a real bodgy job anyway. These are going to be the best thing about it. :cool:

A hole in the top of the fence post and one in the bottom of your posts to fit a piece of concrete rebar will hold them on. Fill both holes partly with caulk enough so that it squishes out a bit to seal the joint.

Rod Gilbert
14th March 2013, 07:45 AM
Nice work, I agree with Paul39 as to how to attach to the fence post.
Regards Rod.

tea lady
14th March 2013, 08:16 AM
A hole in the top of the fence post and one in the bottom of your posts to fit a piece of concrete rebar will hold them on. Fill both holes partly with caulk enough so that it squishes out a bit to seal the joint.

Nice work, I agree with Paul39 as to how to attach to the fence post.
Regards Rod.Thanks guys. Sounds like a plan. :2tsup:

artme
14th March 2013, 08:54 PM
Nice turning TL!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Wood Nut
14th March 2013, 10:39 PM
Hi,
You've come a long way in such a short time - pencils to this! must be a great teacher, although I was very impressed with your last pencil.:)
Cheers,
Paul

tea lady
14th March 2013, 10:56 PM
Hi,
You've come a long way in such a short time - pencils to this! must be a great teacher, although I was very impressed with your last pencil.:)
Cheers,
PaulYes he's not bad. I can go from the sublime to the ridiculous effortlessly now. :cool:

Sawdust Maker
15th March 2013, 11:11 PM
Yes he's not bad. I can go from the sublime to the ridiculous effortlessly now. :cool:

'you playing up while he's away?

Oh and nice work there, TL :2tsup: