PDA

View Full Version : 8" 25 inch x 8" 25 inch x 17" 5 inch vibration

nezaam
15th March 2013, 03:25 AM
Hi there i need help with my vibration on my lathe ,my centres 257837 s correct but dont know why the vibrations. I wonder if my mortises is responsible for the vibraton, i wll post a few pics257836

issatree
15th March 2013, 05:42 AM
Hi Nezaam,
I think we wood need to see a Close up Photo of your Lathe, then a couple of Photos with the Object in the Lathe.
What is the Object in the Photos.

Paul39
15th March 2013, 11:01 AM
The mortices change the uniform density of the piece, as would different moisture content or density in the individual pieces if it is glued up segments.

If the lathe is a big heavy cast iron one, bolt it to the bench and add buckets of gravel to a lower shelf. Run the lathe slowly, and put a few turns of strapping tape around the piece in case it comes unglued.

If you have a light sheet metal and square tube bed lathe, things could go bad quickly.

We need to see the lathe or name and model number.

nezaam
15th March 2013, 04:37 PM
Hi here are a few pics257862

257854257855 257856257861

pommyphil
15th March 2013, 06:56 PM
That looks really scary, with a blank full of voids and out of balance, wow :oo:

Maybe stop and look for alternatives. Maybe balance it up with false tenons

tapped in. Or a mate with a bigger lathe. :rolleyes:

hughie
15th March 2013, 07:24 PM
Hmmm, I think your problem is the lathe its self, from the images you have supplied it looks like the bed is made out of RHS or rolled hollow section aka square tube or pressed or foldel sheet metal. This is not ideal as it will vibrate, foster vibration and enhance it.
I imagine the tool post bounces/vibrates/drums as you turn. If you can brace the bed also where the headstock is connected you should get some improvement.

Looking at it maybe you could brace the top and bottoms parts and lay some angle iron say 50x50x8 along the bed and down the side, tack weld it in place. What ever you do stiffer is the way to go, as stiff as you can get it.
Its a pretty big job for the lathe you have. If bracing is not an option, then the low rpm and slow is probably the way to look at it.

Colin62
15th March 2013, 07:47 PM
Its a pretty big job for the lathe you have. If bracing is not an option, then the low rpm and slow is probably the way to look at it.

I think it's just a bit too big for the lathe.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th March 2013, 08:26 PM
Looks like that piece is just about at the lathe's limit... and with the mortices adding an inherent imbalance I'm not surprised you have a vibration problem!

would be the one to ask - he's the telephone pole turner after all - but I suspect the key to turning this one on that lathe is to bring the blank back into balance somehow. There are several possible methods.

nezaam
15th March 2013, 09:40 PM
Looks like that piece is just about at the lathe's limit... and with the mortices adding an inherent imbalance I'm not surprised you have a vibration problem!

would be the one to ask - he's the telephone pole turner after all - but I suspect the key to turning this one on that lathe is to bring the blank back into balance somehow. There are several possible methods.

Thanks guys i took it to a guy with a bigger lathe.

RETIRED
15th March 2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks guys i took it to a guy with a bigger lathe.A very wise move.:D

issatree
16th March 2013, 01:21 AM
Hi Again,
It might be a good idea to save up & buy a better, stronger Lathe.
That Lathe wood certainly bounce your Wood around.
Not trying to be funny, but that Lathe makes a good Sander, when you remove the Bed.
A New Lathe is the Answer.