PDA

View Full Version : Old VL175sh (1990) Help needed

pommyphil
16th March 2013, 12:08 PM
I recently picked up an old Vicmarc ( with lots of goodies )

All is good except the motor mount which is broken, incomplete, US

The mount pivots from the base of the headstock but that's it, the whole weight

in taken by the belt ! I have it blocked up on hard rubber blocks for now and she runs

fairly smooth but some vibration. Headstock bearings and motor are perfect.

Does anyone have pics or drawings of the original mount. ??

VL 175sh 1990 serial no 174. Any help would be appreciated 257976257977257978257979 Thank. Phil

Paul39
17th March 2013, 12:19 PM
I am assuming you lift the motor to switch the belt for speed changes. I would use a solid block or wedge to get a nice tension on the belt, then measure that and make a block or leg fastened to either the motor mount or the bench to let the motor come to that place.

With the rubber blocks, it may want to bounce. With a solid stop it can only come up, and the weight may hold it down. If the belt is old and stiff and with an oval set from sitting in one position, that may cause vibration. Not likely with the thin multigroove belts.

Some lathes have the motor hang on the belt. The manufacturers say that is the proper tension. My Woodfast 410 works like that. There is a lever to lift the motor and hang on a detent which leaves the belt loose. After moving the belt I unhook the motor lever and let it hang. There is a knob to tighten to keep it from bouncing.

My Hegner has the motor behind like yours. The motor swivels back and forth and is fairly tight on the pivot. I pull it forward to change speed and then push back to tension the belt.

I have two table saws with motors hinged and the tension is kept by the weight of the motor.

pommyphil
17th March 2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks for that Paul, yes it will work OK just hanging off the belt,

and a little better with a "leg" taking some of the weight. But

It's a Vicmarc and my modern 175 has no vibration and originally

this old one was probably smooth to.

The motor mount frame shows signs trauma, broken weld and even a hole torn into the RHS

so I'm hoping for a drawing or photo of an original to copy, there will be one out there somewhere.

Thanks again Phil

Paul39
17th March 2013, 01:06 PM
The motor mount looks like something shop made rather than provided by Vicmarc.

Have you tried asking Vicmarc?

I did a search for photos of that vintage and did not find anything.

pommyphil
17th March 2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks mate :) Yes, I asked Vicmarc if they had anything, drawings, photos,etc

but the manager told me they had no spare parts, goodbye. Hence this thread.

Paul39
18th March 2013, 11:22 AM
Phil,

I found this: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/old-vicmarc-123908/

If this member is still active here you might get some help.

The more I look at that mount the more I think it is home made.

As to vibration of this one compared to the newer one, put a cup of water on the bed of each running at the same speed and see what the surface does. If the patterns are similar, it could be that your old one on the bench is making the bench a sounding board, whereas the one on the stand does not.

I have a 10 inch South Bend metal Lathe mounted on a steel cabinet. All together it weighs 1050 pounds. It makes a terrible racket while running as the cabinet acts like a sounding board. Like this one: Redirect Notice (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=05PaoaF1Wj3zeM&tbnid=NtIzOYL9ltgQzM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fs298.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fmm277%2FSWBird123%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DSouthbendHeavy10ThreadDialCircled.jpg%26newest%3D1&ei=eF1GUfqkHca40QHf_IDwDg&bvm=bv.43828540,d.dmg&psig=AFQjCNHPAWqx-xYy4nFhXCD41RBc8zc4PQ&ust=1363652270350005)

You might also take the belt off and run the motor to see if that causes vibration..

I think the sh behind VL 175 stands for swivel head. From your photos I don't think the head swivels.

If you are near or Hughie, either would be able to make some suggestions, as they both build lathes from scratch or rebuild from a pile of parts.

pommyphil
19th March 2013, 11:30 AM
Thanks Paul Jerry sold his a few years ago :( but I did find this.

part 19 is "belt tensioner" so I'll just keep looking. Phil

Paul39
19th March 2013, 01:16 PM
Phil,

Look at the motor mount on the Colt lathe in post # 14 of:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/outboard-left-hand-turning-167598/

It appears to just hang on the belt. Pretty slick construction, a pipe welded on a plate.

BamBam53
19th March 2013, 08:45 PM
Phil,

Look at the motor mount on the Colt lathe in post # 14 of:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/outboard-left-hand-turning-167598/

It appears to just hang on the belt. Pretty slick construction, a pipe welded on a plate.

I have a lathe just like that out in the shed. :rolleyes: I will try and post some photos of the motor mount.

Michael

pommyphil
20th March 2013, 08:13 AM
That would be terrific Michael, :2tsup: thanks a lot, I'm stuck :-

BamBam53
21st March 2013, 07:45 PM
Hi Phil,

These are some photos of the motor mount on my lathe.

The plate the motor mounts on is 3 mm thick. The plate is welded to a 25 mm steel bar which pivots through a casting at the back of the headstock. The tension on the belt is from the weight of motor hanging out the back.

258826 258828 258829

This is an exploded parts diagram from the manual.

258830 258831

Hope this helps

Michael

pommyphil
22nd March 2013, 02:13 AM
Thanks for your efforts Michael, very kind of you and good photos :2tsup:

Unfortunately a different make and model lathe, and no belt tensioner.

Thanks again for trying. Phil

Old Croc
25th March 2013, 02:49 PM
Hi Phil,
Just got back online, my mate has one, he got me into it, and I will go over in the next couple of days and get the photos for you,
rgds,
Crocy.

pommyphil
25th March 2013, 03:52 PM
Thanks Crocy It's just the belt tensioner bits I have to make, the mount itself

seems intact, but I cannot tell which broken welds are tensioner and which pully cover.

Thanks again :) Phil

Old Croc
8th April 2013, 08:18 AM
Phil, I have the photos, but am having great difficulty resizing them and uploading to the thread. PM me with a personal email adress and I will email them direct to you,
rgds,
Crocy

pommyphil
8th April 2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks Crocy, great stuff, PM on the way. Thanks Phil

Paul39
8th April 2013, 11:55 AM
Phil, I have the photos, but am having great difficulty resizing them and uploading to the thread. PM me with a personal email adress and I will email them direct to you,
rgds,
Crocy

Crocy,

Download Picasa and play with it a bit: Picasa (http://picasa.google.com/)

It is free and finds all the photos in your computer and makes a registry with thumbnails. It automatically resizes for emails, or you can resize to your choice, retouch, crop, change color, lighten, darken, etc. I have used Photoshop 6 in the past but lost it when a hard drive was infected with a virus. I find Picasa does everything I need to do.

pommyphil
8th April 2013, 01:03 PM
Photos are exactly what I need. Many thanks Richard :2tsup:

I post them here if anyone else is interested.

Phil262015262014

Old Croc
8th April 2013, 01:54 PM
Crocy,

Download Picasa and play with it a bit: Picasa (http://picasa.google.com/)

It is free and finds all the photos in your computer and makes a registry with thumbnails. It automatically resizes for emails, or you can resize to your choice, retouch, crop, change color, lighten, darken, etc. I have used Photoshop 6 in the past but lost it when a hard drive was infected with a virus. I find Picasa does everything I need to do.

Phil, I was so glad I could help you, as so many on the Forum have helped me before and we still have some in progress. (hurry up Mr Ebay)

Paul, as I told Phil in the PM, I do not have a computor, only a tablet, and it will not do a lot of these things, I spent the money allocated to buy one on an airfare to visit Ed and hopefully you,
rgds,
Crocy.

Paul39
9th April 2013, 09:25 AM
Phil, I was so glad I could help you, as so many on the Forum have helped me before and we still have some in progress. (hurry up Mr Ebay)

Paul, as I told Phil in the PM, I do not have a computor, only a tablet, and it will not do a lot of these things, I spent the money allocated to buy one on an airfare to visit Ed and hopefully you,
rgds,
Crocy.

Ahh So. I am sitting in front of a $1100, 52 pound, 19 inch Sony Graphics monitor and beside a $2300 Sony Vaio Tower desktop set up for photos, graphics, audio, and video. The monitor was free, The tower $325 used.

I just assumed everybody has the same.